Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2011, 03:52 PM   #1
shovelhead86
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10985
Camping in Texas

We are considering camping for the month of Jan 2012 Somewhere near San Antonio as my wife has a friend there. Can anyone give any suggestions.

shovelhead86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 03:58 PM   #2
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
We had a Spring Rally here last year and it is a nice place to stay. A short drive to San Antonio and a lot of other sites to see.

http://www.guadaluperiverrvresort.com/
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 04:29 PM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
We have also stayed at the Guadalupe River RV Resort and can recommend it as well.
A couple weeks ago we stayed at the Kerrville-Schreiner Park. Really enjoyed it also. It is a former state park now operated by the city. Not your typical RV park. Large park (500+ acres) with a relatively few RV sites. Smaller section (riverside) and larger section (hill side) split by the highway. Riverside has only 10 50 amp FHU sites with few trees and another 10 or so 30 amp FHU with more trees. Hillside has 20 30 amp FHU and another 20 or so 30 amp water/elec only. All FHU sites are pull thru, none side by side. They are basically end to end along the road.
We stayed in the hill side part as we wanted to be in the "quieter" side. Sites on the hill side are laid out where everyone's awning side faces a large well kept open area with table and fire pit. Just beyond is unkept "wild" area where deer roam in and out and into your campsite off and on during the day. Miles of quiet road for walking/biking. More miles of off road developed trails for hiking/biking thru dense woods. Dark at night as the only lights are at the scattered restrooms and other buildings.
You can see the park map on their web site. Coded gate so only those registered can enter.
If you prefer to stay in San Antonio, then Travelers World RV Resort is a good location for touring downtown San Antonio, riverwalk, Alamo, etc. Street in front goes directly downtown to several parking lots near attractions. Or there is a bus stop directly in front of the park gate if you prefer not to drive.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 04:53 PM   #4
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
We have stayed a couple of times at Boerne in the Alamo Fiesta RV Park, and not far out north of the city.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 05:02 PM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Good Places in Fredricksburg, Kerrville, New Braunfels, Canyon Lake, Lots of places, sort of an RV Mecca.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 02:00 AM   #6
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
I'll second Padre's suggestion in Boerne. Nice park, reasonable price, and very close to San Antonio. We have stayed at all of the other places mentioned and you can't go wrong with any of them but Boerne is sorta right in the middle of them all.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 05:18 AM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Well, we are partial to the Fort Sam, but you must be military or a guest of military to stay there.

With that being said, our other place is the premium side of the Braunig Lake RV park. It is off of I-37S about 8 or so miles South of the Alamo. It is a Passport America park and our price for premium was $25 a day. If you are not a PA member and want to join, let me know and I'll give you my PA number as a reference.

The non-premium sites are a little crowded. Considering that you will be visiting family, I'm going to assume you just need a place to go for a few hours to get away.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:13 AM   #8
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Since I live in San Antonio, so we don't stay in the RV parks nearest to town. I have stayed in the Boerne and Kerrville--all the recommended parks are very nice. Kerrville is about a 1+ hour drive. Boerne is about 23-30 minutes each way. The parks along Loop 1604 near Sea World are in good locations with easy access to downtown and the other sights. Travelers World is the closest to downtown with trolley service at the front entrance. Also a really nice golf course-Riverside-is next door. Let me know if you need any other info--I will be glad to answer any questions--like great Mexican food, BBQ, etc.
Also -- don't forget Frederickburg--the WWII War in the Pacific Museum is OUTSTANDING and should not be missed. There a several nice RV Parks in Fredericksburg.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 03:07 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We spent two months at Blazing Star RV Resort a couple of years ago. We liked it better than Admiralty RV Resort. Those sites are just too close together for us. At Blazing Star we chose a backin that was excellent. Lots of trees, neighbors not too close, nothing but trees and bushes behind us.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote