Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2019, 09:25 AM   #1
lkennerly
Established Member

M.O.C. #19862
Outside veneer/wall Screws Popped Out

The screws holding the outside shell/wall have become loose from the frame directly above our hitch under the nose. We are left with about a 1" gap exposing the inside area between the inside wall material and outer shell. The original screws were self-drilling 1/2" long and maybe a #6 or #8. We are uncertain whether to get a slightly longer or larger screw. We are hoping for recommendations from others.

lkennerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 11:39 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
If you can post pictures. Sometimes issues in that area are a sign of frame flex.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 03:35 PM   #3
lkennerly
Established Member

M.O.C. #19862
Outside veneer/wall Screws Popped Out Pictures

These pictures are looking forward from under the nose. One picture is from the left outside of the hitch, two are looking through the hitch one to the left and the other to the right side, and one is from the right outside of the hitch. Two screws are popped loose one from either side of the hitch and the gap in the veneer is about 1"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5660[1].jpg
Views:	37
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	4055   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5662[1].jpg
Views:	31
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	4056   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5663[1].jpg
Views:	32
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	4057   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5664[1].jpg
Views:	31
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	4058  
Old 06-28-2019, 03:39 PM   #4
lkennerly
Established Member

M.O.C. #19862
Outside Veneer/wall screws popped out

I just noticed that the first picture needs to be rotated clockwise so the screw tip points up and the second picture is upside down. I used a piece of foam so sunlight would not distort the image.
Old 06-29-2019, 09:58 AM   #5
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
Looks like the 1/8” plastic shell has pulled free from the framework around Pinbox. I would try a little longer screw first and if that would not hold it up I would try one of two things. First your could get the next size larger screw as the original one is stripped. Or you could move the screw over a little bit to allow a new hole and silicone the old holes. You should be able to push up on the skin to see how much force it takes to hold it up. My trailer has a wood strip stapled to the underside of the floor to allow wood screws to be used for part of the screws and this strip can pull free from floor.
Old 07-01-2019, 06:39 AM   #6
lkennerly
Established Member

M.O.C. #19862
Outside veneer/wall Screws Popped Out Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifty1 View Post
Looks like the 1/8” plastic shell has pulled free from the framework around Pinbox. I would try a little longer screw first and if that would not hold it up I would try one of two things. First your could get the next size larger screw as the original one is stripped. Or you could move the screw over a little bit to allow a new hole and silicone the old holes. You should be able to push up on the skin to see how much force it takes to hold it up. My trailer has a wood strip stapled to the underside of the floor to allow wood screws to be used for part of the screws and this strip can pull free from floor.
When we had a better light we discovered to original screws had never penetrated the metal frame. The self-drilling screws would not penetrate so we drilled holes and were able to get the right side to hold, but not the left. We have surrendered for the moment and will re-try later. We also noticed a 1/2" gap in the plastic shell towards the back of the pin box. It is between two screws. The gap was not there when we purchased two years ago. Those screws are fully engaged so we are going to fill the void with foam then caulk. Any suggestions are welcome.