Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2018, 03:54 PM   #1
scottkeen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20894
Park and Campground RV Age Restrictions

In another thread, I was informed that some campgrounds have age restrictions on the age of your RV.

As a new Rv'er, I had never heard of this before but see how it could be a thing. Kind of like HOA's restricting the age of your car or completely banning pickup trucks in the HOA community. I lived in one condo community that banned back-in parking (exhaust pipes blowing into lower level condo units?) and the goose-stepping HOA brown-shirts were out measuring with a ruler if a vehicle's rear tires extended past the end of the white parking lines (my solution: midnight painting with a 3-inch brush and white paint)

So, if RV age restriction is a "thing" then what is the typical cut-off age?

Somewhere I read that in the People's Republic of California that the cut-off is RV's older than 5 years old. If that's the case, my 2011 347THT is gonna be banned :sad:

Is 5 years old the typical cut-off age nationwide?

scottkeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 04:13 PM   #2
RoadRunnerTR21
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20746
Scottkeen I'm the one that mentioned age restrictions to you in your other thread. What we have found in some of the RV parks in Texas and Colorado is the RV park doesn't want any RV's over 10 years old. These parks are upper tier parks. I'm sure if you showed up in a 12 year old rig that was very well kept they would say nothing. The idea is to keep the property nice and not turn into what you saw on your first site visit. At the end of the day nobody is going to kick you out because a calendar year changed. If you are a good neighbor and keep your rig well maintained nobody will say a word.
RoadRunnerTR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 04:15 PM   #3
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Typically 10 years but not enforced rigidly. A few places may want to see it or a picture before letting you in or put you in the back row. Estimate less than 10% of the parks set a limit.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 04:27 PM   #4
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
I don't want to appear to be high brow but on a related note. I do wish they would restrict 30amp campers to 30 amp sites. It is really aggravating when popup campers and tents stake out all the 50 amp sites!!
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 04:28 PM   #5
scottkeen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20894
Oh wow, something I did not factor in when I bought my 6-year (now 7-year) old Montana! My truck is a 2007, so I wonder if that already breaks the 10-year old rule!

Yikes!

RoadRunnerTR21 = by "upper-tier parks", I'm guessing that equates to $$$$
Old 01-21-2018, 04:44 PM   #6
RoadRunnerTR21
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20746
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottkeen View Post
Oh wow, something I did not factor in when I bought my 6-year (now 7-year) old Montana! My truck is a 2007, so I wonder if that already breaks the 10-year old rule!

Yikes!

RoadRunnerTR21 = by "upper-tier parks", I'm guessing that equates to $$$$
Pretty much. BUT like I said if you show up and everything looks good nobody is going to refuse you. You will be fine. Worry less and travel more.
Old 01-21-2018, 04:49 PM   #7
scottkeen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20894
I'll keep 'em both clean and shiny.

Hopefully not banned!

Old 01-21-2018, 05:16 PM   #8
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
You may also find a place or two that will not allow your best friend but its generally pit bulls and rottweilers that are restricted.

Old 01-21-2018, 05:26 PM   #9
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
I don't want to appear to be high brow but on a related note. I do wish they would restrict 30amp campers to 30 amp sites. It is really aggravating when popup campers and tents stake out all the 50 amp sites!!
Many places you can reserve your spot up front. If its first come, first serve with limited rules you need to get there early or take your chances. 50 amp is rarely needed unless you are stuck someplace hot and need to run both a/c units. Most of us head to cool places above 6K feet when it gets hot - thats why our rigs have wheels. On our big trip to AK we never stayed in a place that had 50 amp available and were really happy to find 30 amp vice 20 amp. Boondocked about 25% of the time - a lot of the best places for things to see and do require boondocking.

Old 01-21-2018, 05:39 PM   #10
RoadRunnerTR21
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20746
As AZ Traveler said some places have pet restrictions. But they are normally pits and rotties. However GS can be a issue as well. Regardless of how well trained (I have trained them) some folks freak out. You have to keep that in mind. No off leash rules most likely will be enforced. BTW your combo looks really nice. You should be good to go!
Old 01-21-2018, 06:00 PM   #11
scottkeen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20894
"Ruger" is a kind, happy dog! Not a mean bone in him at all. Ruger and I used to foster kittens for the humane society until they got to 2 lbs so they could be adopted. Ruger loves kittens, licks them all over.

But I get it -- a 100 lb GSD can have people running screaming in all directions when all he wants is for them to throw the ball for him. Now, if you're a squirrel, all bets are off...

FYI, I contacted tonight Jamaica Beach RV Resort in Galveston, TX to ask if they have a RV age policy. I watched a YouTube review of the park by "RV Texas Ya'all" and it looks like a great place to visit! I didn't say the age of my RV and truck, just asked if there was a RV age policy and said my RV and truck are in excellent appearance and running condition. They just wrote back and said, "That will be fine, we are looking forward to serving you."

(shameless plug for Ruger below)
Old 01-21-2018, 06:25 PM   #12
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
My 2007 has passed the ten year mark. But if asked it will now be a 2009. And next year it will be a 2010.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 06:59 PM   #13
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Ruger is a good looking boy!

Old 01-21-2018, 07:24 PM   #14
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Traveler View Post
Many places you can reserve your spot up front. If its first come, first serve with limited rules you need to get there early or take your chances. 50 amp is rarely needed unless you are stuck someplace hot and need to run both a/c units. Most of us head to cool places above 6K feet when it gets hot - thats why our rigs have wheels. On our big trip to AK we never stayed in a place that had 50 amp available and were really happy to find 30 amp vice 20 amp. Boondocked about 25% of the time - a lot of the best places for things to see and do require boondocking.
We never boondock and we are total electric (IE:residential fridge and electric hot water) not to mention being 42' long. We actually need the 50amp most of the year.

I'm just saying that it is unfortunate that 30 amp rigs are using the 50 amp sites in parks where there are a very limited number of the 50 amp. It is sorta the same thing as disrespectful when you drive slow in the fast lane on the interstate.....
Old 01-21-2018, 07:27 PM   #15
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
[QUOTE=scottkeen;1085464]"Ruger" is a kind, happy dog! Not a mean bone in him at all. Ruger and I used to foster kittens for the humane society until they got to 2 lbs so they could be adopted. Ruger loves kittens, licks them all over.

But I get it -- a 100 lb GSD can have people running screaming in all directions when all he wants is for them to throw the ball for him. Now, if you're a squirrel, all bets are off...

FYI, I contacted tonight Jamaica Beach RV Resort in Galveston, TX to ask if they have a RV age policy. I watched a YouTube review of the park by "RV Texas Ya'all" and it looks like a great place to visit! I didn't say the age of my RV and truck, just asked if there was a RV age policy and said my RV and truck are in excellent appearance and running condition. They just wrote back and said, "That will be fine, we are looking forward to serving you."

(shameless plug for Ruger below)

Ruger is a nice looking dog but when you name your dog after a hand gun it sorta can be taken the wrong way. I wouldn't be too worried about your dog myself but my two Chihuahua might be intimidated and that could well lead to a problem. I have seen that before. It doesn't matter which dog starts the fight a small chi doesn't have a chance....
Old 01-21-2018, 07:54 PM   #16
scottkeen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20894
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
Ruger is a nice looking dog but when you name your dog after a hand gun it sorta can be taken the wrong way. I wouldn't be too worried about your dog myself but my two Chihuahua might be intimidated and that could well lead to a problem. I have seen that before. It doesn't matter which dog starts the fight a small chi doesn't have a chance....
<OFF-TOPIC>

Jim, my neighbor's fiesty chihuahua stands her ground at Ruger and he just goes off to find something more fun like a log to chew. "Ruger" got his name at the breeder because he was in the "R" litter of puppies, they all got "R" names by the breeder. I liked the name (and the firearms) so I didn't bother changing it. I heard that when the breeder got to the "V" litter, one of the dogs they named was "Velociraptor Decepticon". Someone was a Transformers fan!

I have a cat also, and she keeps Ruger in his place. He wants nothing to do with that ball of fur and claws.

</OFF-TOPIC>
Old 01-21-2018, 08:00 PM   #17
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Jim, You are really missing out on a lot of great spots by not boondocking - nothing like getting up with no one around you and seeing 100 miles in every direction. Surprised your rig doesn't have gas/electric water heater.

Old 01-21-2018, 08:23 PM   #18
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
I agree with segregating the 30 amperes out of 50 amp sites even though it probably is just me whineing because my unit is a 50 amp unit and I do like using two AC's when necessary and the amperage could be there.

Thomas Marty
Old 01-21-2018, 08:33 PM   #19
scottkeen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20894
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Traveler View Post
<snip>...boondocking - nothing like getting up with no one around you and seeing 100 miles in every direction...<snip>
AZ Traveler -- I haven't even gone camping with my RV once yet (just bought it last week!) but boondocking as you describe is one of the main reasons I wanted to get a RV, let alone full-time with it. I hope it works out as I'm dreaming it will. I grew up, lived, and traveled all over the world (mostly 3rd world s**hole countries ) many places without safe drinking water and unreliable power. So as long as I have my coffee and nobody bothering me, I should be good.

I just got off the phone with a friend, both of us RV newbies, talking about boondocking. We were trying to figure what made sense for dry-camping power sources. He was leaning to an Onan generator. I was leaning to a couple of lithium batts and solar panels, and (2) 2000W generators with 30A adapter. Neither of us has any idea, it's just talk now.

I had 17 250W solar panels on my house in Hawaii, and I tell ya, it ran everything except the central air-conditioner. 17 panels was pretty awesome.
Old 01-21-2018, 08:58 PM   #20
h2ojocky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13025
I do love having 50 amp but I see the other side as well. If I pull into a campground I should be able to pick whatever site I want as long as I pay for it. More often than not 30 amp is plenty. I also agree that boondocking is awesome. That is one of the reasons I bought my trailer. My trailer is now 14 years old and have never been turned away. If I call to make reservations and they ask how old my trailer is I tell them 9 years old. If you maintain your rig you will not be turned away.
h2ojocky is offline   Reply With Quote