Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2012, 10:20 AM   #1
cbhughan
Established Member

M.O.C. #12389
GFI Outlet

The GFI outlet in my 2012 Montana has tripped at several different campsites. I can be reset but what is more bothersome is the fact thatt the Norcold refrigerator is one the same circuit. When the GFI trips the refrigerator switches to propane. I put a night light in the outlet so I know when it trips.

cbhughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:36 AM   #2
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
could be just a bad GFI, replace it and see what happens
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:51 AM   #3
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
We replaced ours (we have one in the kitchen and one in the bedroom) with better quality ones because we, too, had one that would trip for no apparent reason. The ones we purchased have a little green LED in them and illuminate when on which is nice.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:59 AM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
If it were a true ground fault it should trip as soon as you reset it, or not let you reset it at all. I would replace it.
There is, of course, a chance you have an intermitent ground fault. May be a frayed wire that only sometimes touches something it shouldn't. Or maybe some water some where. If a new outlet continues to trip like the old one, then you may be into doing some wiring checks.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 03:27 PM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I had a GFCI in a prior home that would trip too often. After I replaced it, it worked fine up until we sold the house and moved on. However, like BB_TX hints it could be other things, then you may have wasted money replacing the GFCI especially if the new GFCI outlet made no difference. I'm the wrong guy for debugging things like this but I have been know to get lucky. But don't rely on luck.

Then another time in my rig, I had trouble with another GFCI circuit (lavatory/bedroom) and replaced it and it worked for few outings and then failed again. I eventually found that the circuit breaker itself was faulty (the clue was the MW was dead too and was shared by this 15/20 dual circuit breaker). After replacing the dual circuit breaker everything worked and has been working ever since. I did keep the old GFCI as a spare since I'm guessing it was good.

Those are pretty much the extent of my experience. I feel lucky that I was able to resolve these by replacing parts. I have heard of other worse issues but other than some loose wiring don't know what else has been done.

Good luck to be to your cbhughan. Please post how you get this resolved.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:20 AM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
What racerjoe and Michael said. and Bill. Art's post was too long and I am not awake enough to read it.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:15 AM   #7
nosticks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10378
Drove myself nuts, short drive, debugging the same type of problem. I replaced a gfi with a new one and the circuit still didn't work. Who would have guessed the new one right out of the box was defective too.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote