Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-04-2010, 12:31 AM   #21
cgaskins
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10861
Ok, an update on my water heater problems from last week while we were out camping.

First, when I bought my Montana the dealer told me it was a gas only water heater. I have found out from this post and from poking around the unit last weekend that it is gas & electric. Anyway, Crestview RV in Georgetown, TX has diagnosed the problem as a faulty electronics panel for the gas component of the water heater. They have also told me that the electrical element for the electric side is burned out as well. They are repairing the electronics panel this week for about $250.00. It was going to be another $230.00 to fix the electrical element so I just decided not to do that.

Thanks everyone for your help and response while I was at the campsite last week. You guys are great. My wife was amazed at how fast people replied and how helpful the information was. You folks are great. Thank you again for your help.

Have a great weekend and God Bless!!

Regards,
Chris

cgaskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 01:41 AM   #23
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
The electric element you can definitely do your self for a grand total of about $25. Ozz posted some great informative links, but make sure the power to the rig is off before replacing the element. I had to replace mine and got the replacement at Lowes. As I mentioned before, it is vitally important to not turn the electric element on unless you are positive there is water in the water heater. And, thanks for the followup!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 01:48 AM   #24
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Wow, I think I'll stay away from Crestview RV. $230 to change a WH element? At most a 30 minute job. No more than $30 for the part. Those places never cease to amaze me.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 02:43 AM   #25
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Bingo was right on.
The reason for caution is that the electrical element is designed to heat the water surrounding it in maximum time, without water in the tank, there is no safety that would protect the element that glows Red in free air. It will self-destruct, or burn through in short order with no water in the tank.
I think one of us should invent a safety cut-off, to prevent the hundreds of thousands of burned out elements each year.
Or... buy stock in the producers.
I guess all you would need is a water sensor 1/2 way up in the tank, no water detected would interrupt power to the element and require a reset maybe. With the scale build-up in tanks, this sensor would fail, if not designed properly. Scale causes a build-up on elements, insulating them and reducing efficiency greatly as well.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 03:25 PM   #26
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SlickWillie

Wow, I think I'll stay away from Crestview RV. $230 to change a WH element? At most a 30 minute job. No more than $30 for the part. Those places never cease to amaze me.
X2

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote