Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2006, 09:17 AM   #1
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
North Rim of Grand Canyon

Does anyone have any experience or advice about the North Rim of the the Grand Canyon? How is the Kaibab Camper Village at Jacob Lake? Also any issues with the roads into or out of Jacob Lake? Looking for info.

F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 09:45 AM   #2
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Tim,

My wife and I were in that same campground about 17 years ago so I can't remember much. We had a class c motorhome at the time so space wasn't a big issue for us. I know that I was amazed at the difference between the North and the South rim. The North is much higher and more like you're in the mountains and then all of a sudden you come across a big hole in the ground. I'm sure someone else has been there more recently than I and will give you more information.

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 11:21 AM   #3
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We were there on the trip home from Alaska. I haven't been to the south rim so I can't compare. We drove in to the Lodge and walked out on the point. It was breathless. Can't say much about the campground. The lodge was closing that day as it was the middle to the end of October. The road to the Lodge is all paved and easy in and out.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 11:27 AM   #4
countrygirl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2831
Tim and Susan, David and I have been to the North rim a couple of times and also the south rim years ago. We prefer coming in on the North side and we feel like that it has a lot to offer in the way of being able to see so much of the canyon. We stayed in a nice campground there, but I can't think of the name of it now. David probably will fill you in on it. We got some beautiful pictures of the canyon and the best were taken at sunset. The lodge gallery was a good place to view the canyon at sunset and we just stayed and ate dinner there that evening . What a wonderful dinner we had. Everything was perfect! I would like to repeat the same experience!
Countrygirl or Shirley
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 12:28 PM   #5
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Agree with everything Shirley said. We stayed at the Kaibab Camper Village at Jacobs Lake. No problems to report, though we did not stay much around the camp. It is a long drive to the Canyon rim and back out again the same way, but we would highly recommend it. I do not recall any problems at all with the highways. We came to North Rim from Zion and went on from there to Four Corners and Mesa Verde. All in all a delightful experience. All this was last Summer.

I'll edit to add this link to our photos from the North Rim:

http://dwilliamson.com/GrandCanyon/Page.html

padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 02:12 PM   #6
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
David reminded me of Zion, if you're that close, you ought to check it out too. We just drove through because it was on our way and it's just beautiful, I'd love to spend some time there again.

mac
Old 06-03-2006, 04:25 PM   #7
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Tim and Susan
When are you going there? We plan to come home that way I think if not we are going back to Lake Powell later in the summer depending on sale of my Mother's home.
Happy trails.........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 05:09 PM   #8
countrygirl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2831
Mac is right, be sure to go to Zion park too because it is simply beautiful. These parks are not too far from each other and one shouldn't miss seeing them all. However, we did not go to Bryce Canyon while in the area and I regret that. That is a great area to visit and I am looking forward to the day when we can return.
Countrygirl or Shirley
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 05:17 PM   #9
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Oooops, like Shirley said, don't forget Bryce Canyon, that was incredible as well!

mac
Old 06-05-2006, 11:10 AM   #10
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Thanks for all the great info!! Susan and I don't have a definite plan for the North Rim but I suspect it will be late August to mid September--lots of great choices! The other Utah parks are also on the agenda. Primary goal is to visit our daughter in Salt Lake City--last year of her pediatric residency.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 12:26 PM   #11
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Just to put in a plug for the little RV park where we stayed to visit Zion. The name was "Bauer's Canyon Ranch RV Park"; located at Glendale, Utah. The name may be bigger than the park but we enjoyed staying there. Many would not like it. It is a very small and simple park, but it worked great for us. We had an easy drive from there to the North Rim. We actually drove a couple of time into Zion. There is camping in the park, but it requires a special permit to go through the tunnel, and we did not wish to do that.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote