Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-02-2006, 11:19 PM   #21
RVWheels
Moderator Emeritus

M.O.C. #29
To Whom it may concern,
Folks...... Please do NOT make personal attacks. I realize this is a "hot button issue" (no pun intended) but please do not post personal attacks. Inflammatory posts will be deleted.

Thank you for your attention to this issue.

RVWheels/MOC Admin

RVWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 04:35 AM   #22
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
to me it is a matter of principle.I understand what Gyro is saying but by George I paid a lot of Bucks for this thing and I want my flashlight to work, the over head fan to be quiet. The water pump not to be noisy. the cabinet doors not to fall off, Etc,Etc..We do not have the thermostat problem in our new 3400 but we would not be a happy camper to have to work around something that is supposed to work in a certain manner.. so there...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 10:35 AM   #23
Lije Baley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3890
Could there be a light at the end of my thermostat tunnel? I've taken the trailer to a local Challenger/Everest dealer (the local Montana dealer could not see non-purchasers for 3 months). They've verified the problems we all know. Dometic had already agreed to send them a CCC after a replacement thermostat (see earlier post) failed to fix the issue. At first the dealer called Keystone and was told that replacement with the CCC was an UPGRADE and not covered by the warranty! I called Keystone, spoke with a service representative who authorized the warranty labor. Now the service department tells me that they've ordered the CCC from Dometic.

I think we'll finally have that CCC.
Lije Baley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 11:50 AM   #24
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Good for you Bill....you are gonna enjoy the A/C a lot more with the CCC, works a bunch better than the remote.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 12:11 PM   #25
Lije Baley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3890
Wahoo! We brought the Montana home yesterday with a Comfort Control Center installed and the remote thermostat gone!

To summarize: We first took the unit to a non-Montana dealer that did Dometic warranty work. Dometic provided that dealer with a new remote that worked only slightly better than our original remote. Dometic was willing then to provide the dealer, but not us, with a CCC, and would not pay for the labor of installation. Thus, we needed to find a Keystone dealer to do the installation. We did not buy our Montana locally (always looking for a bargain). The local Montana dealer won't be servicing units they did not sell for months. So, I contacted a local Keystone dealer that sells Challengers and Everests (those Everest models look very nice...).

Happy Daze RV in Sacramento was not familiar with the remote thermostat problem. When they contacted Keystone they were told that the CCC was an upgrade and replacing the remote thermostat with the CCC was not covered by warranty. I called Keystone and without much trouble they authorized the labor for installation. The CCC was installed, with only minor troubles; the EE display and the dip switch that others have encountered. I knew more about the problems than the service center did.

We'll be off to the coast next week. Our temps in the central valley of California have been running towards 104 this week. It's about 65 on the coast. We may be able to try out the heater this coming weekend. I checked the AC at Happy Daze and it worked as it should.

Both Keystone and Dometic made this repair difficult. Withouut the forum, I'd never have accomplished it. Happy Daze worked with me and, considering that I was not their customer, and they hadn't seen the problem before, really did an excellent job. (Interestingly, we toured a new Everest while we were there and the salesman was extolling the features of the Dometic remote control. We chose not to disillusion him.)
Old 06-26-2006, 01:06 PM   #26
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
At least some Everests have the remote thermostat, I have a friend with one. At least Happy Daze learned something useful from your experience. Glad you got it sorted out eventually. Ours went a little smoother, in particular even though Dometic shipped the parts to the dealer, the dealer just forwarded them to my home, where I installed them myself. We are about 3 hours from our dealer, and it did not seem worth the trip for a fairly simple job. (At least fairly simple if you read this Forum!)
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 03:36 PM   #27
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
We had some terrible temperature swings with our 2005 2955RL, with the infamous remote. It took about 6-10 months but Dometic replaced the remote with the CCC, MAJOR difference now. This board has POWWR.

Getting ready for 4th of July 9 day trip!

Happy Camping!
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 08:10 PM   #28
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
It took us several months to finally get the CCC unit to replace the remote unit that was running over 10 deg.off. I installed it myself rather than make another 100 mile trip to my dealer. It now works great, just like at home.

So tell me Dometic, how do I repair the hole in the ceiling where you told my dealer to install the pick-up unit for the remote?
rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 01:22 PM   #29
Roamingusa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4995
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by geonbar

I have a 2005 3295RK with the "REMOTE" & trying to control the heating is a real problem. BROOME 101 mentions changing to a "CCC"; being new to all this, what is "CCC"? & do i contact KEYSTONE about it?? THANKS
Dometic came through for another one! I contacted the Dometic company last week,(by email) got a reply right away. I mentioned MOC and the pages and pages of complaints about the remote thermostat. I was instructed to have my dealer call them with the info. (serial # ect) and they would send the CCC out to us. They said we would have to pay for labor to have it installed, but I will talk to the dealer when I call and see if this can't be covered by Keystone, if not, I DON"T CARE! LOL I want this stupid thing "outta" here!
Sighned: "feeling cooler in Reno already"
Roamingusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 02:15 PM   #30
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
We were visiting some friends that were camping on the 4th and a Cougar owner was parked next to one of our friends. I asked him how he liked his rig and he said it was great except for the remote for the AC. I told him about the thread and he replied that he doesn't use computers but his daughter does. I suggested that she do some research on the forum about their problem.

Glad things are working out for you that have the remote. I am so glad that they stopped putting them in the Montana.
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 07:06 PM   #31
Lije Baley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3890
A final note on our recent CCC installation (see June 25th post).

We spent the extended July 4th weekend on the northern California coast, where it was cold enough to run the furnace. Only it wouldn't run! I cycled through the CCC "modes" and the furnace was not there. So, after trouble shooting the breakers and fuses, I remembered early complaints about dealer installs and the number 5 dipswitch. In fact, I'd told the service writer to have the technician throw that one switch. Of course, we had no internet access, but I was able to pull the module from the A/C and open it. All the switches lined up together. Number 5 is labeled "furnace" or "heater." That sounded like a clue! After I threw that switch the wall console found the furnace when I cycled through the modes. Better yet, it turned the furnace on, and held the temperature steady by our digital clock/thermometer as it turned the furnace on and off. Being the North Coast, it wasn't warm enough for A/C (inland temps were 35 degrees higher, however). But when I did test the A/C, I could hear the compressor reduce its speed as the room temp approached the set temperature.

I think we've got a working thermostat now...
Old 07-06-2006, 04:06 AM   #32
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
"But when I did test the A/C, I could hear the compressor reduce
its speed as the room temp approached the set temperature."

Bill-
One word of caution....this is the feature that I do not like about the CCC. Given the right conditions and the A/C continues to run at the low speed and does not quite bring the temperature down enough to cycle the system, it will freeze up. It might have to run a couple hours in this condition, but will definitely freeze up.

Otherwise, the CCC is such an improvement over the remote I don't know why the remote system was ever considered as standard equipment.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 03:51 PM   #33
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Charlie
Otherwise, the CCC is such an improvement over the remote I don't know why the remote system was ever considered as standard equipment.
For lazy folks like me who prefer a remote system, over a manual system!

I used to have to walk over to and change the thermostat in my brick and stick home, often according to what time of day it was, how much sun was beating down on the house, or how much cold wind was blowing on it.

I still don't know if the temperature actually changed all that much inside the house. But I do know that some conditions actually made me feel hotter or colder than others. Still do.

I'd have loved a remote system in my brick & stick home, but didn't know there was a way to do it that wasn't more expensive than it might have been worth. The insulation in that five-star place kept the house pretty steady, mainly.

So I just dealt with the [possibly psychosomatic] feelings, and got by. It never was that big a deal.

I'd like to know if the remote system might be optional on future Monties, rather than standard. That way, we can all have our druthers.

Steve
Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 09:37 AM   #34
hammett411

M.O.C. #4555
Regarding the 10 to 12 degree heating swings. The dealer suggested we contact Dometic. We called and a customer service rep was not real generous with information. Kept referring us back to the dealer to buy a different thermostat even though I kept saying I was willing to pay the Labor. Even when I mention the MOC information still not overly helpful and insisted the CCC unit was more than my unit needed. I then sent an email stating the heating problem, copied in the information supplied by the MOC site Administrator and information provided from Dometic and within less than 24 hours received an email response indicating a willingness to replace. I went back to the dealer. They then called, affirmed and explained the problems and the CCC unit is in the mail. My thanks to MOC and Freedom RV in O'Fallon, MO and of course Dometic.
hammett411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 04:06 PM   #35
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Hammett,

There is power in numbers.

I hope you end up totally satisfied.

And, welcome! Don't be a stranger, here. I learn so much stuff just from reading the millions of things that so many have posted.

Steve
Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote