Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 02-28-2006, 01:00 AM   #1
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Campgrounds around Deadwood SD

Can anybody suggest a campground for 2-3 days around the Deadwood South Dakota area. What would be a good time estimate to cross South Dakota from Minnesota in good weather nice pace?

Thanks and Happy Camping

RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 01:14 AM   #2
Bill Frisbee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4493
We have not been here but the following place has received some good reviews. Do not know if it is close enough to Deadwood for your purposes.

http://www.rafterj.com/

see reviews for this location, Mt. Rushmore KOA and others in the area at:

http://campgroundreviews.com/South_Dakota.html#Hill_City

Bill

Bill Frisbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 01:41 AM   #3
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We drove across South Dakota on I-90 last summer and made better time than we expected. If you don't want to drop down that far south, people recommended HWY 2 in ND but it would be slower although scenic in parts.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 03:32 AM   #4
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We have been to the Black Hills in May,June, July, August and I this year we were even there the last week of September. Each time we were coming from the Minneapolis area. May is a little too early. June was great but we did have snow one day up near Deadwood. It melted real fast though. July is beautiful but very crowded. Forget the first week of August. The Sturgis Rally is that week and you can't get in anywhere. Quite a site to see though. Thousands and thousands of beautiful mototcycles. September was just beautiful but a lot of the places were closed. They pretty much cater to the Memorial Day to Labor Day crowd. We usually stay at Rafter J in Hill City but it is a way's from Deadwood. Check the web. There are campgrounds everywhere in that area. Have fun, it's a great place to visit.
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 08:09 AM   #5
Bill DeMeulle
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2740
We were in South Dakota last August and stayed in Custer at Beaver Lake campground ($30) on Hwy 16, 800-346-4383. From there we went to the Crazy Horse Monument, Mt.Rushmore and Deadwood which were all fairly close by. Crazy Horse Monument was terrific with a great show, Mt. Rushmore was very beautiful but not as informing and Deadwood was fantastic with more one armed bandits than I care to count, I think every business in town has a slot machine.

Bill DeMeulle
Bill DeMeulle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 11:31 AM   #6
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I would figure at nice pace, from the Minn. border on I-90 to Rapid City would take approx. 7 hours. I used to go visit friends at college in Vermillion, SD and that trip w/o rv would take me 5.5 hours from Rapid City. Hope you enjoy your trip to the Black Hills.

Here are a few links to campgrounds in the Deadwood area,
www.whistlergulch.com
www.steelwheelcampground.com
www.hiddenvalleydeadwood.com

Here are a few more around the Rapid City area, Deadwood is only 45 mins away
http://www.rushmoreshadows.com/
www.rafterj.com
www.blackhillscampresort.com
www.theblackhills.com/mtview
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote