Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2005, 03:37 PM   #1
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
Lawrence, Kansas

We will be in Lawrance Kansas the first week of August for a wedding. Any suggestions to where to park Rosie for the weekend.

trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 09:31 PM   #2
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
Rick and Wanda ... Although we've never stayed there, we understand the Lawrence KOA is quite nice. We recently had a neighbor here in Independence, MO who frequently parked there. I'm afraid I can't give you any details (price, site size, cable/wifi availability) but a quick phone call (or maybe a website?) should give you that info.

We love Lawrence ... be sure to eat at Buffalo Bob's on Massachusetts Street ... have a wonderful time!
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 02:39 AM   #3
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Thanks for the tip on Buffalo Bob's. We had already found the website to the KOA. In our recent travels we have found KOA's a good place to stop.
We felt the need to check it out through the MOC because the groom had said that it was not a good place to stay. But he has not been home for several years, not to mention he is not an RV'er. HE is a hotell'err. So what does he know!
Old 06-25-2005, 04:38 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Trukdoc, as Vicki said, we've not stayed in that KOA. To be honest, we've found very few KOA's that we like. We drove through this one a couple of years ago. It was in winter time so couldn't tell a whole lot. It looked ok to me. Not fancy but you're not there for fancy. They seem to stay pretty busy. The neighbor we had for awhile told me they have Wifi. I'm not sure about cable but you'd be close enough to Kansas City and Topeka to pick up all the major network stations and then some. The park is two or three miles from downtown Lawrence.

If you get a chance to drive around Lawrence, there are some beautiful old homes, especially near the campus of the University of Kansas.

Massachusetts is the main downtown street. It's a nice, pleasant downtown to just park and walk around, looking at the stores, etc. It's a college town so has all the usual and unusual places you find in college towns.

We're headed over there Tuesday evening for dinner with friends at Buffalo Bob's. That's a BBQ place right downtown. Nothing fancy, just nice and quaint. And extremely reasonable. We're usually out of there and full for about $15 to $17 including a tip of around 20%. I like the Smokey Joe Wheel and Vicki likes the Ham Wheel.

Assuming our kids are all still in the Kansas City area when we decide someday it's time to settle down, Lawrence is high on our list of places we'd like to settle.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 10:36 AM   #5
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
The KOA's we have stayed at so far are the ones at Carlesbad NM, Las Vegas NV, and Amarillo TX. All were well kept and everything was in working order. I cannot say if the one in Lawrence is going to follow suite or not, by the map it was close to downtown. If you have a better suggestion I am all ears.
Are you going to be it the area the weekend of the 6th of August?
Just got an e-mail from Kevin (Groom) and he mentioned the KOA and Clinton reservoir. Did not say how far Clinton reservoir is but looks like a good little drive by my map.
Old 06-26-2005, 10:25 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Trukdoc, we'll be in Montana at that time. That KOA is fine. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there if visiting Lawrence. There's another rv park at I70 and Kansas highway 7, several miles east of Lawrence. The Lawrence KOA is a couple miles outside of town, on US 24 near the junction with US 59. It's not right in town. But nothing is far from downtown in Lawrence. There's not much else close to Lawrence. We're in Independence, MO, at the moment but that's a 55 to 60 mile drive to Lawrence.

If you want a state park, Clinton Lake's state park is right on the west side of Lawrence. They have electric and water. 30 and 50 amp. Dump station but no sewer hookups. That will be a busy place this time of year and you'll get the partiers and lots of kids this time of year. The KOA would likely be quieter. The state park will require you either buy an annual permit or pay for a daily permit. I think that's around five bucks. So you'd likely be looking at around 18 to 20 per day. We haven't been to that park in a few years but it used to be pretty decent. On the west side of the lake is a Corps of Engineers park. A nice place, electric and water plus dump station. No sewer hookups. But that one is a long way around to Lawrence. Probably 15 to 20 miles. Also busy this time of year.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 10:56 AM   #7
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Thanks for the info Steve. That is what I love about the MOC. Got a question and someone will have an answer.