Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2013, 02:16 PM   #1
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Lake Tahoe Campgrounds

Dreaming about going West this year. Any campground recommendations around the Lake Tahoe area? Including Reno. We will be coming from Salt Lake City and will probably travel in September or October.

F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:47 PM   #2
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Zephyr Cove, as well as Meeks Bay Resort, are nice places.

Here is what you need to know. Cave Rock tunnel on highway 50 to south shore is a beast. You need to be right down the middle of the two lanes, on your side, whether heading north or south.

This is heading south...

If you have to, just wait until you are the only vehicle. We have made this trip many times and some times I have just stopped in the slow lane and put my hazards on until I could take the center of both lanes.

If in October, remember that while we often have Indian Summers, meaning nice weather, we can also have snow, especially at 6200 feet elevation.

If you want to stay in Reno, or more appropriately Sparks, try Sparks Marina. Reasonable and nice.

If it were us, we would stay some time in Sparks to enjoy what the Reno/Sparks area has to offer (our home town), and then head up to south shore, weather permitting.

Oh, and if you stay at the KOA in Salt Lake City, make sure you have a pressure regulator. Their pressure is 100 psi!
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:51 AM   #3
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
A few years ago we had a Spring rally at this park. http://silvercityrvresort.com/ It is very nice and not far from Reno.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:14 AM   #4
dandt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7142
We will be working at an RV Resort in Sparks for the summer. Sparks Marina RV Park and it is just off I-80. Out of town just enough to be quiet but close enough to get to see things. Check out Reno/Sparks Events there is a lot going on in the area. Short trip to Reno...10 minutes about an hour to Tahoe area. Tahoe is beautiful, but you are an hour from alot of things. Daytrip to Tahoe and stay where the action is. Plus coming from SLC you basically come right into Sparks. Maybe even split the time and move onto Tahoe after. Come by and say HI if you end up at our park.
Dave and Teresa
dandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:44 AM   #5
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Doug, I remember a rally there in October of 2005. Could have been about the 2nd annual National Rally back then. A very nice place! I have promised Gail on numerous occasions that I would be taking her back there. I recall seeing a beautiful view of the Sierra Nevada Mountains everytime I looked out my rear living room window.

Tim and Susan, I don't think you would be disappointed if you stayed in this campground.

Now, since I'm retired and she will be in 88 days and, a rally gets set-up there, again.........might be a great excuse to make another trip to Minden.
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:40 PM   #6
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Great tips! We will get to Silver City as well as down to Tahoe this fall. I will post when we might be there.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:04 PM   #7
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
You've got to go to Virginia City, a place where I lived and restored an 1876 Victorian Mansion, the Piper-Beebe House...

http://www.cr.nps.gov/nr/travel/nevada/bee.htm

When I bought it, the previous occupant of the parlor was a horse. No joke!

It is now on the National Register of Historic Places.

And, yes, that is the color scheme I chose...
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote