Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2012, 11:23 AM   #1
pathfinder
Established Member

M.O.C. #10217
hyd hose leaking

We have a 3400 RL Montana The hose that goes to the right living room slide as you are sitting in the camper, facing forward, is the bad one. How do you get it removed from the cylinder? Also is there one hose to each cylinder? How does it push out and retract with one hose? Any help would be appreciated. Pathfinder

pathfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 04:55 PM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Two hoses to each cylinder on all your slides. You'll have to drop some of the belly pan or cut it inline with the cylinder shaft you see connected to the slide. Gorilla tape works pretty good to seal the seam back up later. Lay down some rags to catch any residual oil and remove the hose from the cylinder. Tie a rope onto the hose before you pull it out the front compartment for ease of getting the new one back in. Have another made and reinstall everything. The fittings are JIC fittings meaning they seal on a taper and require NO sealant or teflon tape. Top off your fluid reservoir. Cycle the slides all the way in and all the way out about 3 times and the system will self bleed the air out. Top off your fluid reservoir again if needed.
ON Edit: The hose in question may be tee'd into another hose going to one of the other slides under the belly pan. If that's the case, you'll not have to pull it all the way out the front compartment.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:14 AM   #3
pathfinder
Established Member

M.O.C. #10217
Thank you. I did get it done. Have to tell you I called a tech and they didn't know 1/2 of what you told me. This site is so great. Appreciate you. Pathfinder
pathfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:27 AM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I learned that many techs don't like to give out what they've learned for "free" and won't be as thorough. After all, they get paid for what they know and do.

Good job at getting it done with what dieselguy posted. I found his post quite as prompt and informative, as well but I would still be wary at trying this (I'd probably get a brother or friend to help). With a tag like dieselguy, I can't wait for what the invoice is gonna look like...
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 02:55 AM   #5
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Art ... a man who most always makes me smile ... it's gonna have to be a freebie this time ... I just can't figure out where to put the decimal. In all seriousness, a good percentage of the hydraulic stuff I respond to isn't all that tuff, one just has to get over the fear of "I can't do this" and the false ideals that a service tech is better qualified. Many of us have experienced the fore mentioned false ideals. In today's world, $12 - $15 hourly pay will get you a corresponding level of expertise. Unfortunate, but hard facts.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote