Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-27-2011, 10:27 AM   #1
mobilcastle
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11759
Tonneau cover

What type of tonneau cover are you using? Soft roll up or soft trifold? Hard trifold. Are you happy with it-what makes. Does a trifold interfere with you fifth wheel hitch or pin box? I have an 8' bed and I am looking to cover it.
Thanks,
Steve

mobilcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 10:42 AM   #2
nosticks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10378
I am using the Tuxedo, a soft roll up. I just remove the hitch latch release arm by pulling a pin when not using it and having the cover extended. Very simple and the warranty is great.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 10:59 AM   #3
Paddler
Established Member

M.O.C. #11308
I use the soft tri-fold, it works for me. Doesn't interfere with hitch or pin box. At home or at the campsite keeps prying eyes off items stored in truck bed.
Paddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:01 AM   #4
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Same as nosticks works for us
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:04 AM   #5
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I have the Access cover on my Ram and the Super5th hitch and release handle all fit under the cover. The cover is mainly to the elements off the hitch and stuff in the bed. More importantly it is to keep the honest folks honest as there is very limited protection against theft being a soft cover.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:19 AM   #6
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I strongly recommend against a SNAP style cover. Therefore, if you go soft make sure it is Velcro sealed. I had to go with the snap style because I bought a tool box that was as wide as the bed rails. The box top would not open with any of the rails that extend inside the bed rails.
Best of luck and safe travel.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:38 PM   #7
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
I also have the Tuxedo Lo-Pro with velcro. I have it on two trucks and like it.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 01:51 PM   #8
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
ExtangRT roller, and, as noted above, do not get snaps, takes forever to snap/unsnap and difficult when cold. The roller gives you more room in the bed as compared to the boards.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 03:23 PM   #9
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I have had a Pace Edwards Full Metal Jack Rabbit on mine for 4+ years and works great for me. Rolls back far enough for me to see the hitch out the back window when hooking up. I can roll it back near the hitch and lock it if I have stuff in the bed in front of the hitch. And roll it all the way back and lock it and the tailgate after I unhook.
I had a Xtang soft cover on an F150 I used to have. I generally liked it except for the plastic snaps. They were a bear to snap and unsnap when it was cold. Metal snaps would be much better. It held up well for about 6 years. Have never had one with velcro.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 05:43 PM   #10
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I've got the Retrax on our TV. It is very similar to the Jack Rabbit but it has a locking mechanism within a handle for opening and closing the sliding cover. The rolling metal cover is literally strong enough to walk on but I have not tried it myself. It rolls into a storage bin at the front of the bed and can be moved to any position on the bed and set into that position just by popping the handle down into the closed position. That locks it into position. When towing the Monte, I lock the sliding cover just at the edge of the hitch and it cuts down on wind resistance and also I have a covered storage area ahead of the hitch to put a cooler or whatever I want to put up there. The storage bin for the rolling top does take up about 6-8" of the front of the bed but I still have room under the bin to store smaller items I take along and don't want in the basement of the Monte or I can store some wood for campfires up there too. The storage bin also has two drain holes which we have connected clear plastic tubing to and put them into the front drain holes for the bed thus keeping the storage bin dryer and no water is accumulated in it if it is raining. I've had it for 4 years now and have had no problems with it at all. I have nicked the storage bin up some from carrying items ahead of the hitch when it is in or other items hitting it when the hitch is out and no rust has formed as of yet! I'd really recommend this cover for overall durability and usefulness both while towing the Monte or when not towing and just hauling things!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:03 PM   #11
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Rondo, a Rolex? Did you mean Rollback?

EDIT: AHA, Rondo fixed his post. A Retrax! I heard these were nice, but when I scheduled a visit to the vendor they didn't show, twice so I went with a Pace-Edwards roll back on a prior short bed truck. I didn't like how much bed I lost from the canister. I have a friend who bought one but I haven't seen it yet. I did like the specs on how strong and durable it was.

I have the 4 section BAKflip (a short bed gets 3 sections). While it works fine and doesn't use a canister (folds back against the back window to maximize the truck bed), it needs some improvements which I think BAK Industries has provided. I had a rolling style in a prior truck and didn't like how much room it took away from my short bed. I do prefer the roll back style because it moves in 1 foot increments and would consider one for my current truck that has a long bed if I ever get the desire to replace this BAKflip.

I have seen too many soft covers get rips and tears, but they are lighter and cheaper to replace. Some people I know that owned soft covers, eventually went to the harder and more durable roll back style.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 01:21 AM   #12
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

I have the “Fold-A-Cover” lockable cover. I first got it when we had the Dodge and I moved it to the Ford. It wasn’t made to fit the Ford but it works so I still use it. I like it just fine because whenever the truck is separated from the Monty everything can be locked up out of sight. It is however a little cumbersome when folding/un-folding it. It can easily be removed by removing only 4 bolts if the extra space is needed. It’s taken a few bumps over the past few years but held up well.

Old 12-28-2011, 04:24 AM   #13
Wiesehan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9711
Send a message via Yahoo to Wiesehan
I have had a Tuxedo and an Extang that both operate the same way with bars that roll up with the cover. Both are great covers. It just depends if you want a lockable hard cover or a soft cover.
Don
Wheel to wheel SS side bars
Wiesehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 04:36 AM   #14
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
Extang soft trifold here. We love it. Keeps the water out, the sun off, and does not interfere with hitch or towing. Still very serviceable after 3 years.
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 04:53 AM   #15
trustymopars
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10812
I have the RollBAK, and love it. I had it on a 1500 Ram before buying my 3500. It sure is nice to be able to have secure storage once you get to your campsite. The only downside is that the water drains are smallish, so I have to take the top off to clean out pine needles and leaves occasionally.
trustymopars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 02:38 PM   #16
kampk
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11126
We have had both the vinyl ones and the "Retrax" but I so far I like the Bak-Flip G2 on the GMC the best.
kampk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:28 PM   #17
lmccallister
Established Member

M.O.C. #11529
I have the retrax and love it...looks good too
lmccallister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:38 AM   #18
gobears
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9216
We have the BAK rollback, love it, like others have posted, you can lock it at many different positions, strong enough to walk on, keeps all the weather out. I lock it right behind the air hitch when towing, fire wood stays dry, beer stays out of the sun. I previously had the soft roll up style, was a bear when cold out.
gobears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:02 PM   #19
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Pardon the slight thread hijack but that's a mighty fine looking truck and Big Sky you have there in your signature pic Loyd.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by lmccallister

I have the retrax and love it...looks good too
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote