Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-01-2011, 03:27 PM   #1
deanrd
Established Member

M.O.C. #9285
3585SA Slides out of adjustment

I have a 2008 3585SA that is located in a seasonal campground. (I know, sitting on blocks wasn't in their design)

The slides have never been perfectly aligned, but have been good enough to seal and not leak. When closed/retracted, they are up close and sealed well.

I went to open up for the season and noticed that all 3 slides are not lined up well enough to seal extended. They have two racks, gears and rod to sync them with a hydraulic ram on one side only. It doesn't make a difference what side the ram is on for alignment. I think the bed is the same, but it's under the plywood, so assuming. I triple checked the level to make sure it didn't get racked out of alignment over the winter and it is good.

The bedroom slide is even top and bottom on one side, but bigger gap on the bottom on the other side.
The recliner slide is good on one side top and bottom, but the same bigger gap at the bottom, tapering closer towards the top on the other side. The hydraulic ram is on the side with larger gap.
The dinette/couch slide is very close top and bottom on one side, but an even, but large gap on the other side. The hydraulic ram is on the side that's very close.
I don't remember having a manual on the slides adjustment. I checked some of the links here, but couldn't get the info for adjustment.

Is this something I can do or should I just call the dealer? When I questioned alignment before to them "it wasn't to be a concern". They might be happy to adjust when I"m paying

If anyone has more info or better links, please help me!

Thanx - Dean

deanrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 04:13 PM   #2
deanrd
Established Member

M.O.C. #9285
I found a link to Lippert hydraulic slides from their site so I'll include it here for reference. I was going to attach it, but... the link is just as good.

http://www.lippertrepairparts.com/pd...ideout-Web.pdf

Any hints or tricks is appreciated.

Dean
Old 05-01-2011, 04:20 PM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
You also should have received a manual with your Montana that shows how to adjust the slides, which adjustments to move it which way. That link above probably is for that same manual.

Several years ago, MIMF, who at that time worked for Lippert, showed me a tip for adjusting the slides. First, extend the slide maybe half way, give or take, but not all the way. Loosen bolts and make the adjustments. The slide itself doesn't move, you are just moving the stops. Now stand up and shake the heck out of that slide. He rocked that thing so hard I thought sure he'd break something. But it moved the slide up to those stops in their new position. Then lock the bolts down and extend/retract to see if you made the correct amount of adjustment. Later on I did this same procedure and it worked well.

Good luck.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 04:24 PM   #4
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Before doing anything try running the slides in and out a few times.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 02:11 AM   #5
deanrd
Established Member

M.O.C. #9285
Thanks for the replys. I have run the slides in and out at least 4 times without a change. Good idea to adjust and shake. I was going to try adjusting slightly, then run it in and out.

I'm a little concerned that it closes flush but when open it isn't and that if I change too much then it won't close tight. If the room is truely square and boxed one might throw off the other.

Dean
Old 05-07-2011, 07:43 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
If you scribe a mark where the stops are currently located then it's not too difficult to get the slides back to where they started. Just a suggestion.

Also, our prior Montana, a 2003 model, always looked like the slides were tilted in at the top. The Keystone Service Center looked at them and could find nothing wrong. They sealed properly. And we never had a water leakage problem with them that way. I still have no clue why they were that way.

Good luck with yours.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 05:33 AM   #7
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by deanrd

Thanks for the replys. I have run the slides in and out at least 4 times without a change. Good idea to adjust and shake. I was going to try adjusting slightly, then run it in and out.

I'm a little concerned that it closes flush but when open it isn't and that if I change too much then it won't close tight. If the room is truely square and boxed one might throw off the other.

Dean
Not sure I understand you right, but if the slide is sq with the wall, you can just adjust the nut(s) on the cylinder rod. Just remember, the stroke on the cylinder is longer than the travel of the slide, and correct spacing between the inner and outer nuts is a must.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote