Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2004, 04:27 AM   #1
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Air Cushion for Pin

What do you think about adding a air cushion to the pin? Is it worth the $ or do I even need one? Thanks.

2002 Chev.2500HD D/A 4x4 Ext. Cab. LB, Air bags, 2004 Montana 3670, Reece 16K, Garmin Street Pilot 2610 (so I can find my way home), Cockapoo (Lexie)

DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 03:38 PM   #2
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
A lot of time has passed since this discussion was held. Would appreciate input from anyone who has had additional experience with the equipment from TrailAir--especially Dave e Victoria or anyone who has added it recently. Has anyone added TrailAir shocks to the Montana? Thanks in advance!!
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 04:18 PM   #3
Montana_89
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #89
Dear Coro from Maryland,

I just got back from Florida and I know exactly that stretch of road. Normally, my truck and trailer ride fairly smooth but that was one heck of a ride! About how much is the TrailAir accessory?

Montana_89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 02:47 AM   #4
Montana_2005
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2005
I would like to know contact information, or at least if the DEALERS are hooked up with these guys. A 1999 Newmar that we looked at 16K GVR Big big 5er, had one already on it and the salesman was rhapsoidizing over it so that Hubby is convinced he want's one. I have noticed the roads get pretty choppy driving around in just my 3/4 T work vehicle. Can't imagine how some would feel with 3k sitting on the back axle and surging around...
By the way..Reigle... I think since I got my little gold star in like two days... I might qualify as an airbag. hee!
Montana_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 04:12 AM   #5
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
How about the Mor/ryde pin box? Has anyone any experience with it. It is a lot cheaper than the TrailAir.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 12:08 PM   #6
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Bill and Pat
This is a follow up on our trailair experience. We have put on around 4000 miles since it was installed. Have never experienced anything like the jab in the back I felt when I first towed it home with out the Trail Air. What I have experienced is a kind of slow fore and aft rocking motion when we have been on some particularily difficult concrete. I-69 between Lansing MI and Flint for instance. It was altogether tolerable -- just annoying and never uncontrollable. Agian, looking at the dynamics of the device, it is about what I would expect.

While at an RV center having some awnings added, I saw another brand 5er that had the identical hitch. In talking to the service tech, I learned the manufacturer of the RV installed it after the owner complained about the ride. When the took the cap off the 5er, they found structural damage above the hitch. That's when the decided to install the trail air. The owner is happy now.

Another thought, the interstates seem to be the only place where there is a real problem. I have yet to find a secondary road with the surface problems of the interstates. Of course, then you have to be mindful of the low clearance bridges.
Regards
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 01:52 PM   #7
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Thanks for the response--appreciate hearing your experience. Does anyone know if there are there any warranty issues generated by installation of this equipment? Seems as if it is a vast improvement over original equipment. And OBTW--you folks are some of the cookinest people I've seen. That flank steak looked absolutely top-notch. Good luck with all the decisions in the works. Regards
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 01:54 PM   #8
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
That section on I69 going around Lansing is one of the worst spots I have found. It really gets the truck and trailer jerking fore and aft.
As Dave e Victoria said it isn't uncontrollable but certainly annoying.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 03:51 PM   #9
syplace
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1666
Am happy to see people are happy w/their Trail Ride. We bought our Montana 6/21 & had one put on. It pulled great, no bump, just very smooth. However, we couldn't make a 90 degree turn. And it was because the air ride for our hitch is too long for our truck bed. In otherwords, 2003 Chev. truck bed is 63 inches all other truck beds are 64 1/2. Trail Air is aware of this. Now why did the dealer order the trail air if it was not going to allow turning capabilities AND why did Trail Air accept the order knowing that it would not be right for the Chev.
Dealer had our truck for a week no excuse, when they put it on they are the experienced ones and should have known. We didn't find out about the loss of turning until we got it home. It cost us $1400. End result
Trail Air gave permission to cut 2 1/2 inches off end and we would not lose our warranty....however, nothing in writing. Suppose to pick up trailer w/the fix next Thurs. If we had known this we would have gone with the Trail Air that attaches to the bed of the truck, supposedly $3400. Dealer said if we wanted to do this he would give us $950 for it as a trade in. Now we know we got the shaft!!!! When we go next Thurs. if all is not right.....we are not bringing it home and I will contact an attorney. The trailer has only the miles from dealer to home & back and that is 194 miles. Well as u can see I am aggitated I sure do hope it works out. We really like the Montana, but next one will be a Jayco, at least service is only 5 miles from our home.
syplace is offline   Reply With Quote