Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2012, 04:52 AM   #1
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
electrical question

I need a bit of elecrical help please. I am putting a switch with a pilot light inside to turn the HW tank on electric without going out to do it. I have removed the outside switch and extended the wires inside. I bought a switch with a pilot light that has 3 screws plus gound. black,gold,silver. I thought it would be a straight connection,but no, can't get switch to work. what am I doing wrong???
thanks for your help

racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:57 AM   #2
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
How many wires did you extend inside? If two, then hook one up to black, the other gold and to get the light to operate, the silver to neutral. If the light is on when the switch is off, then reverse the black and gold wires.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:18 AM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
What do you mean by the switch does not work? I'm guessing that the heater is not kicking on, but what is the light doing? Is it a 110v switch? Is it possible that the heater is kicking on, but the light is not working? I have a 12vdc switch like this in my truck for a specific application. It's important for the ground to be wired correctly or the light will not work even though it's possible that what the switch is enabling is actually working.

In my truck it was easy to find a ground, but in a trailer? Are you sure the ground is connected to ground properly?

Snfexpress is correct about the wiring, but the wiring must be good too. Also make sure the old switch is not in the picture to prevent it affecting things. It should probably be removed or bypassed to work properly. Can someone else comment on this if I'm wrong?

I have read others who have done this and it's a great idea. It would help many of us control propane and electric methods of heating and prevent element burnout especially for those of us who empty our tanks regularly. Please let us know how you get this working.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:18 AM   #4
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
Thanks Mike,I'll do this today sometime. It probably powered up the tank,but I did not give it any time to warm up after I saw that the pilot light was not on. Art, everything for the tank works fine, I am only trying to move a switch inside under the counter so I can work the electric part of the tank inside. I bought a switch with a separate pilot light so I remember to turn it off when breaking down, thanks a lot.:-)
Old 06-06-2012, 08:25 AM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
If you want the light to be on when the water heater is on (on electric) I think you will have to run another wire for neutral.
Here is a typical wiring diagram.
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:58 AM   #6
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
Bill, looks like you are right. no matter how I switch wires around,no pilot light. I can turn heater on/off with switch okay. I can only get to the two wires that were hooked to the original switch,so I am assuming I need to get into junction box that is somewhere on the tank to locate neutral. So, no light for now. Thanks all...
Old 06-06-2012, 04:49 PM   #7
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
You do not necessarily need to go all the way to the water heater to get the neutral. If there is an outlet in the same wall as the new switch, you may be able to attach to the neutral on that outlet. Or if it is near the load center, you may be able to go directly to that. With that small amount of current it doesn't really matter where you connect to.
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 04:10 AM   #8
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
Bill, thats what I thought about the neutral, so thank you and everyone for your help and suggestions This morning I located a spot to run that third wire. all hooked up,and light comes on with switch,and have hot water. I can do basic electrical,outlets,switches,lighting,some 220v,but when it comes to those uncommon for me things I draw that DUH look and read and read and read,when the obvious is right in front of me. So thats again for this forum...