Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2011, 05:41 PM   #1
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
Fan on rear of refrigerator

Was looking today for a damp smell in the area of the refrigerator.
We have a 2005 3400RL, the refrigerator has a lower and upper outside removable vents panels.
The drain hose could be my moisture problem.
Anyways, when I looked down from the top vent to the bottom I noticed a small, computer type fan 1/2 way between the bottom and top.
I have not done any modifications to the unit.
The fan was not running.
Question?
When is the fan suppose to run?
I looked in all the paperwork and paperwork available from Dometic and it does not show the fan any place.
any help would be appreciated.
E. Sven

carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 05:57 PM   #2
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
The fan has a thermostat on the fins which turns the fan on when heat builds up from the fins. If you open the top vent you can see the thermocouple attached to the fins. If you jump the wires together the fan should start.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:26 PM   #3
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
Thanks for the info.
The wires come down from the top of the unit, I am going to follow them tomorrow.
On the slide with the stove and ref, 3400rl, there is carpet under the stove, cabinet and ref, well it got wet/damp and I ended up ripping it all out and then took some KILN sealer paint and painted the wafer board floor.
Smelling better already.
E. Sven
carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:58 PM   #4
kramperD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8078
E. Sven - this past September I pulled both vent covers off the back of our 'fridge unit in the '08. Noticed the same fan as you did in yours.....and after checking it out, found out it was not working at all. I didn't even know I had a fan back there! I assume it wasn't working all summer since we first picked up the Monty, so it had to be awfully hot with dead hot air behind the 'fridge heating things up instead of cooling off things! So.........just happened to be in our local Meijer store and found 2 small fans on clearance for about $6 each. They fit perfectly up on top above the coils on opposite sides and of course facing outward as an exhaust out the top vent. I then plugged in a 3-way down at bottom vent where 'fridge is plugged in and when I turn on the hot water tank, I remember to plug in the fans. When camping is over, I turn off the electric to the hot water tank and remember to unplug the 2 fans. I got the idea about the fans from an earlier posting.....just another reason this forum is so great! I can't even get to the non-working fan to pull it out.....but no big deal. Hope this helps. D