Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2011, 05:02 PM   #1
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Fender Skirt Replacements

Due to a couple of shredded tires this last weekend, we need to replace both of our fender skirts.

Has anyone ever dealt with http://www.icondirect.com ?

They carry Keystone fender skirting and a lot of other replacement parts for our 5th wheels. If the local Keystone dealer can't get us our skirts or are too expensive, we are thinking of ordering from icon.

Thanks.

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:04 PM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Margee,
Good luck trying to find replacement fender skirts! We had a devil of a time trying to get them and our rig was only 3 or so years old at the time. I'd think it would be even harder now. I've never heard of the place you listed. It would be really nice if they had them for you.

You know you can always ask Dave and Kelly Anderson! Still get a big laugh every time I think of that! Good luck, Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:46 AM   #3
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
no help with the company but am interested in what you find out as I need a skirt as well.
wingerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 03:40 AM   #4
dandt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7142
When we had the same problem a few years ago. We got estimates from a dealer to replace and do the work and then submitted to insurance comapny.When parts arrived we took them and did the work ourselves, very easy to do. Had the insurance company mail check to us and with deductible we came out about even. We even called TireCo and had them pick up the tires, of course we replaced all four and they sent us a check for about half the tire cost. It was a headache, but it worked. BTW, parts were not bad on price, but shipping was crazy high because of the cratin fees and size. We needed fenders and the metal skirtng that goes around as well. But don't be afriad to do the work yourself only took about 3 hours to remove and replace metal and fender. Good Luck
dandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 05:00 AM   #5
jackandh2o
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8010
I ordered one about 2 years ago from a Montana dealer. They wanted Vin# serial # my number, lots of numbers but I actually liked the replacement better than the original. It wasn't as shiny and seemed to match the rig better.
If memory serves me correct it was less than $100.00.

Good Luck

Ray
jackandh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:03 AM   #6
Jordan

M.O.C. #11091
Hi all!

This is Jordan from the site mentioned, IconDirect.com.

I like to keep an eye on these owner forums to help with questions about certain replacement parts and such.

D and M, I would be able to answer any questions about the fender you would need if we have it. Was there a specific model in mind?

If we do not have a replacement for you, we would be able to get you set up with something that will fit, or even recreate your fender exactly.

Here is what we have for Keystone replacements right now (since your a Montana Owner Group, I have listed those first):

FS772 - Suitable for many Montana units
FS778 - Suitable for many Montana units

FS774 - Suitable for many Laredo units
FS1000 - Suitable for many Raptor Tri-Axle units
FS710 - Suitable for many Cougar units
FS1705 - Suitable for many Challenger units
FS1715 - Suitable for many Outback units

Best way to confirm a match is to check the measurements and compare & again, if we don't have it, we can recreate a pair for you. Let me know if you guys ever need any help with your fenders, holding tanks or other plastic parts.

Thanks.
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:07 AM   #7
The Sunflowers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11398
Wow! Now that is service! I hope I don't ever need fenders or such, but if I do I'll remember this thread.
The Sunflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:39 AM   #8
Jordan

M.O.C. #11091
Well, we aim to please . And of course, needing a fender isn't exactly pleasant - but the look of a well made replacement on there can be!
Old 06-01-2011, 12:25 PM   #9
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Jordan,
Thanks for stepping up and providing the info on fender skirts. Really nice to know. And welcome to the MOC. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 04:02 AM   #10
Jordan

M.O.C. #11091
Thanks for the warm welcome!
Old 06-06-2011, 02:02 PM   #11
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
*Yeehaw!*

Thanks Jordan, I know a lot of RV related companies monitor the MontanaOwners forum and am glad you do. I've called your company in the past for other advice and have pleased with my phone encounters.

I'll crawl around and see if the remaining fender skirt has a part number on it. If not, I'll take a picture and send it to you.

Your site has a lot of great parts that CampingWorld and other local RV places don't carry.

Thanks again for responding.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:03 PM   #12
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
I ordered a fender skirt today from Hilltop RV in Escanaba,MI said in 10 days &61.99 plus shipping to them of 21.00 I pick it up on june 16yh on my way past them

sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 04:51 PM   #13
Dmax07
Established Member

M.O.C. #7949
Finder skirt solved. Now what about the actual fender and wheel well sheet metal replacement parts? Where can you order the sheet metal and plastic parts from?
Dmax07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:13 AM   #14
Wheelhouse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11462
Have I got the answer you. While traveling with our 2007 Montana 3500RL, one of the Triangle tires blew and ripped the forward metal and bent the rear slide-out metal passenger side. Also, lost the plastic skirt. I called the local Montana service and found the plastic skirt price around $35 + shipping with 7-10 lead time. I found taking the metal off was easy and had a body and fender shop pound out, fixed two rips, and paint the two metal pieces for about $50 before the day was over. You can see the ripples, but I saved the replacement cost. Hope this helps someone.
Just take your time and it is and easy process. And, you could probably fix it while camping instead of waiting til you get home.
Wheelhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:38 AM   #15
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Wow... prices sure do fluctuate for fender skirts depending upon your dealer & location.

The local dealer (Folsom RV) wants $89 for a fender skirt. Then there is a $60 charge for a shipping crate and another $120 for shipping. They can't guarantee the fender skirt they help us order is the correct one for our 5th wheel. If it turns out to be not what we need, there is a NO RETURN policy on items they have to order. Of course if the dealer had it in stock, we wouldn't have to pay for the crating or shipping.

We found what we think is our fender skirt (FS778) on icondirect for $149 and $38 shipping. We printed out a diagram of it and will compare it with the remaining cracked fender skirt that we have.

We did try Keystone but they directed us to use a local dealer. It's frustrating to see that Keystone deals direct with some customers and not others on items that aren't covered by warranty. And it's not because of my attitude on the phone with them either as I am ALWAYS above "nice" on the phone, especially when I am wanting something... Ha ha
Old 12-15-2011, 03:59 PM   #16
CBTraveler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9267
I bought a replacement skirt from the dealer several years ago after my gum rubber (load range A) tire blew out. The skirt was shipped as a complete 2 wheel cover so I had to cut it to fit. I also have replaced as many of the screws holding the skirt as possible with SS machine screws and nyloc nuts. The skirts do flap around a lot while driving and I've added home made Azek synthetic wood reinforcement supports where they would fit.
CBTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 04:32 AM   #17
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by D and M On The Road

Wow... prices sure do fluctuate for fender skirts depending upon your dealer & location.

The local dealer (Folsom RV) wants $89 for a fender skirt. Then there is a $60 charge for a shipping crate and another $120 for shipping. They can't guarantee the fender skirt they help us order is the correct one for our 5th wheel. If it turns out to be not what we need, there is a NO RETURN policy on items they have to order. Of course if the dealer had it in stock, we wouldn't have to pay for the crating or shipping.

We found what we think is our fender skirt (FS778) on icondirect for $149 and $38 shipping. We printed out a diagram of it and will compare it with the remaining cracked fender skirt that we have.

We did try Keystone but they directed us to use a local dealer. It's frustrating to see that Keystone deals direct with some customers and not others on items that aren't covered by warranty. And it's not because of my attitude on the phone with them either as I am ALWAYS above "nice" on the phone, especially when I am wanting something... Ha ha
Sometimes it takes a bit more time to understand the problems with owning a Montana.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:04 AM   #18
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sailer

I ordered a fender skirt today from Hilltop RV in Escanaba,MI said in 10 days &61.99 plus shipping to them of 21.00 I pick it up on june 16yh on my way past them

sailer
Don't mean to hijack the thread but I just had to make mention of the good old days.

Escanaba -- Those were the good old days. Graduated from high school in Perkins, MI about 20 miles north of Esky.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:36 AM   #19
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
I ordered and installed a Fender Skirt from ICON.
Fit perfectly and did save me two trips to any dealer.
I hammered out the bent up sheet metal myself and repainted the whole panel and fender with automotive spray paint and tire tread delamination whipped it...
RRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 05:37 PM   #20
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
I oredered my Fender Skirt three weeks ago from a local dealer here in Washington, at Silverdale. Clear Creek Rv Center and it cost 36.00 I went over on the Edmonds Ferry to Kingston. However the sheet meatal panel was the wrong one, it was 3" to sort and 12" to narrow. So they are oredering the right one and will try and have it drop shipped free to the Trailer Park here in Lynnwood, WA. P.S. I also got the sewer door and trim for 31.00.
randye is offline   Reply With Quote