Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2008, 04:45 AM   #1
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Jasper and Banff

We plan to visit Jasper and Bamf on our return from Alaska in August. We've heard we may need reservations. Can anyone recommend where to stay?

As always we appreciate your ideas and suggestions!!!

Thanks

Jo-Anna

David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 04:58 AM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Don't know about Jasper but in Banff the best place to stay is the Provincial Park called Tunnel Mountain. We stayed there and it is a very nice park.

Dennis and Mary Kay
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 05:48 AM   #3
FireTruckerWife
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1629
Yep! Tunnel Mountain in Banff.
FireTruckerWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 01:36 AM   #4
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Jasper has a campgound right in the park that is really nice.**You will need reservation for that one.. If you can't get in there, Hinton has a real nice one. I think it was a KOA and was an easy drive back to the park.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 09:25 AM   #5
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
We were in Jasper last week and Banff the week before. Whistler campground in Jasper has over 700 sites but, only about 80 with full hookups. I think it is the only one in the park with hookups. As others have said Tunnel Mountain in Banff is the place. It also has about 80 or so sights with full hookups.

For reservations http://www.pccamping.ca/parkscanada/
BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 03:47 PM   #6
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
If you find everything in Banff full, you may want to try Lake Louise. They also have a large dry camp overflow lot.
Bob
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 04:57 PM   #7
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
We were there last October. I echo what everyone else has said about Whistler and Tunnel Mountain. Both these campgrounds are in the provincial parks. If you are going to be in the parks more than 3 or 4 days I think the annual pass becomes a better bargain. If you are looking for full hook ups I strongly recommend reservations. We were told we didn't need them at Jasper and when we got there all we that was left were primitive spots. DW was not a happy camper. If you have time Watertown Provincial Park on the North end of Glacier National Park is a super facility.
Old 06-16-2008, 05:05 PM   #8
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
We were in both locations last October. Whistler and Tunnel Mountain are great places to stay. I heard the Hinton CG is nice but it is quite a ways from town especially with fuel prices as they are. I strongly recommend reservations if you want full hookups. We were told they would not be needed at Whistler but when we got there the only spots available were primitive sites. DW was not happy but we made it work. I would also recommend Watertown Park on the Canadian side of Glacier NP. Beautiful place packed full of wildlife and a really nice CG. If you are going to be in the Parks more than 3 or 4 days the annual pass ends up being a better deal.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:13 PM   #9
kwolff7
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6687
Hi David and Joanna,

I just made reservations this morning for Tunnel Mountain Park for tomorrow and the next day. The reservation agent said there was plenty of availability. Of course, they could be gone if you were just a drop in, later in the summer or a weekend. You can also make the reservations on line as long as it is 4 days in advance. Based on the information provided here, I will try to make a reservation at Whistler Park in Jasper when we arrive at Tunnel Mountain. Hope you are enjoying Alaska.

kwolff7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 12:50 PM   #10
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Hi all, Trailer Life lists two campgrounds in Bamff Nat'l Park: "Tunnel Mountain Trailer Court (321 sites) and "Tunnel Mountain Village II" (189 total sites). Based on the directions, they seem to be next door to each other. Is there a reason to prefer one over the other?

When visiting that area, has anyone stayed in a campground in Lake Louise in addition to staying at Bamff, or have people just stayed in Bamff and done day trips to Lake Louise?

Thanks!!!!!!
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 01:17 PM   #11
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Day trips Jo-Anna. You'll want to use it as a base and see Yoho, Kootenay, and Lake Louise... They are all easy day trips although we went back several times to them all... The Ice Fields can be driven to from either Banff or Jasper but you will want seperate campgrounds between these two..

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 05:41 AM   #12
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by David and Jo-Anna

Hi all, Trailer Life lists two campgrounds in Banff Nat'l Park: "Tunnel Mountain Trailer Court (321 sites) and "Tunnel Mountain Village II" (189 total sites). Based on the directions, they seem to be next door to each other. Is there a reason to prefer one over the other?

When visiting that area, has anyone stayed in a campground in Lake Louise in addition to staying at Banff, or have people just stayed in Banff and done day trips to Lake Louise?

Thanks!!!!!!
Tunnel Mountain Trailer Court has full hookups, Tunnel Mountain Village does not. Yes, they are next door to each other. Don't let the words "trailer court" concern you. It is a campground with a lot of trees and all of the sites are curved pull throughs.

Lake Louise as a day trip is very easy; I think the distance was only about 30 miles.
BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote