Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2008, 03:54 PM   #1
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
N. California up the Coast to Oregon & Washington

OK, you folks have been so helpful but I am coming back to the well once again. We are going to be traveling up the coast in Northern California and then on up through Oregon and Washington. Can you please give me some insights to how accessible campgrounds will be for us pulling a 3075RL Monty, and any tips on great places to see. Thanks in advance for your input. John

gojodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 04:10 PM   #2
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
You are going to love driving north on 101 through Northern CA, Oregon and Washington. We just did it and loved everything about it.

First you will drive through the Redwoods on 101, stop at Holmbolt Redwoods State Park and then at the National Parks. We stayed at a "not great" campground in Myers Flat and then we moved on to the RV Coral in Klamath which was a good spot for visiting the area. Lots to see.

When you hit Oregon, stop at the visitors center on 101 and pick up the brochure they have on state parks - we stayed at three of them along the way and loved them all.

In Washington we stayed at Forks 101 and visited Olympic National park.

Have fun - this is a beautiful country!!!!!
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 04:18 PM   #3
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
OK, here is a web site that will help.
http://101things.com/
This web site allows you to read the magazines on line, they tell what is available and what to see and do. As well as places to stay. Some of the towns have Visitor Centers on the main road (HWY 101 and 1) that can also provide much information. As I'm sure some of our MOC members will also provide ideas and recommendations.

Oregon has many campgrounds and state parks. Most will fit a Monty. Many choices along in and near the Coast and Coastal Cities.

One that we like is Harris Beach State Park, about 1 mile north or Brookings, Oregon. If you get there early (between 11am and 1pm)you might be able to find a site in "A" loop that backs in overlooking the ocean. If you try to reserve they only reserve "C" loop which is in the back closer to the the highway.

Bob
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 04:44 PM   #4
dandt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7142
You might also want to check out Passport America camping club. There are quite a few spots in N. CA and Oregon. I know because are doing the same route later this summer. For only $44 for a yearly memberships we are going to save bundles. Gotta do something so we can afford to put diesel in the TV...Have a safe trip, maybe we will see you along the way. Dave and Teresa
dandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 06:24 AM   #5
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
We are thinking about a similar trip this fall. We are thinking about going up I-5 to Canada and back down through Washington and Oregon. Thanks for this input. We'll be watching for more tips!!

Ken & Marilyn
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 07:21 AM   #6
markwick
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2204
Hi GOJODO - are you going to go home back down the coast? - just a tip - we have traveled the coast from BC to CA a number of times and the best direction is to do it North to South. The reason being 101 is mostly 2 lane and 95% of the stops, pullouts and waysides or on the West or coast side of the highway making it nearly impossible or downright dangerous to pull acroos the highway. You will still see a lot of beautiful sights but North to South would be the ideal way to do it. But don't let this put ou off there is a lot to see and it is one of the most beautiful areas in North America. State parks in Oregon are great and Washington runs a close 2nd.
Have a great trip.
markwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 04:27 AM   #7
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
Just a slight correction on the Harris Beach reservations. I believe they reserve only the C section in the off season. They reserve all the sites during the other times. We have a reserved site in the A section for Labor Day.

If you get a chance, get off 101 in Coos Bay or North Bend and go 12 miles to Charleston and Cape Arago Highway. It is beautiful all the way to the end of the highway (less than 10 miles long) with a county park, private park (Oceanside), and a state park (Sunset Bay). The private park puts you right by the ocean, the state park is on the bay.

You really cannot miss with any Oregon state park but some are exceptional.
toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 05:30 AM   #8
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
Thanks for the tips, we actually need to go South to North because then we will turn East in Seattle and head for home, Virginia.
gojodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 11:31 AM   #9
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
John and Dorothy,

Folks have given you many good suggestions and it is almost impossible to go wrong with anything or any place on the OR coast. The park and scenery suggested by Toolmanroy is not to be missed. It is great. The only other place I'd suggest is the park on the north side of Seaside. It takes a bit of driving on a narrow and windy road but the payoff is worth it. By the way you can NOT tow your trailer into this park.... it is a day use only park. My CRS prevents me from naming the park! But maybe one of the other posters will step up and save the day.

Enjoy your trip.

Dennis and Mary Kay

Edit: The day use park is Ecola and it is located near the town of Cannon Beach. Sorry about that.
Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 01:16 PM   #10
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
I forgot to mention Shore Acres state park, day use only, just a mile or two from Sunset Bay state park on Cape Arago Highway. Each season brings different flowers to the beautiful botanical gardens. We have been every season including the holiday season that starts Thanksgiving weekend with the display of lights.

If we have to limit our travels because of the price of fuel, we will visit every one of the state parks until we have been in all of them.

Last year we stopped at a private park, Arizona Beach north of Gold Beach on 101. You can back up your rig right to the beach. This year there is no website for this park and I wonder if it is gone now. Does anyone know?
toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 01:58 PM   #11
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
We are planning that same trip this fall only coming back to Chico, CA at the end.

If you are near Trinidad, Ca at dinner time there is a fantastic resturant there calle Larapins.
Capt Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote