Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-24-2018, 07:34 PM   #1
mdmarmd
Established Member

M.O.C. #20369
Leaking in Lippert 6 Point Leveling System

I am having a hydraulic fluid leak in my Lippert 6 Point Leveling Sytem and need some advice. Called Paul Everts RV in Fresno, CA and was told they don't answer technical service questions by phone...you have to bring the RV in. I'm 600 miles away!

I have a Montana Montana 3720RL that I bought last August 2017. This Summer I notice that there seemed to be a fine layer of oily residue covering the front foot pads, and the aluminum Jacks, both the cylinders and piston rods. On the left front side there was also a small dark patch of dirt where fluid was dripping onto the ground.

I also began to notice that the front of the RV would slowly drift down. It was enough that if I did the automatic leveling routine it would have to correct the level every 3-4 days.

I wiped everything I could related to the hydraulic connections to see if I could see where fluid was leaking. I could not find any clear source of fluid on the right front jack. On the left front jack there seemed to be a bit of fluid around the coupling from the rear orange hydraulic line and around the electronic valve as it connects to the front of the top of the cylinder.

There is an area on the inside of the trailer bulkhead in front of the left front cylinder that looks like it got sprayed with fluid and then became discolored with dirt. The top of this patch seemed too high to come from the fittings around the top of the cylinder. But there are three hydraulic connections that are above this area. They are the connections to the “Hydraulic Room Control” panel that is situated below the Lippert Electronic Leveling Panel. These lines are connected to two rotary valves labeled DS and ODS. These connections definitely seemed to have fluid on their surfaces. The fluid running down the inside of this bulkhead seemed to be the likely source of the fluid that was staining the dirt as it dripped off the moulding.

I cleaned everything up and wrapped a pad of paper towel tightly around the three Room Control fittings.

I was gone for about two and a half weeks and returned to find the pistons on the front had lost almost 2 inches in height.

There was no sign of fluid on the right jack. There was a fine film of fluid over the rear side of the left cylinder. Notably, the paper towel around the Room Control fittings was stained pink and fairly saturated with fluid.

So there seems to be a clear source of leakage from the Room Control fittings. I tried to tighten the fittings but they seem as tight as they can be. I have now wrapped each fitting individually, separated with foil so that I can determine which fitting is leaking. I still don’t know where the film of fluid on the left cylinder is coming from.

I would appreciate any advice on how to proceed further at this point. Besides where the leaks are, I have some additional questions:

Why, initially did there seem to be a fine film of oil over the entire cylinder, piston and footpad on BOTH front jacks, when now there seems to be no sign of leakage on the right jack? Why does the leakage seem to cover the entire surface of the cylinder instead of just a downward track that one would expect a drip of fluid might take? Is this dispersal pattern a characteristic of transmission fluid?

Is the fluid for the Control Room (presumably the slide outs) in continuity with the jacks, so that fluid loss in that system will also draw down the fluid in the jacks?

mdmarmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 08:45 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
First thing I would check is all the connections on the wall just inside the front storage door, probably near your batteries. On my new rig all the connections around the switch gang were loose and leaking as well as a couple of the quick disconnects. From there the oil could be running accross the front of your storage and out the other side.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:02 PM   #3
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
My front drivers side jack is doing the same thing as per small leak. Have not been able to isolate it but appears to be near the top of jack. Added about 1 qt in 10 months. The last time I added fluid that is colored bright red.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:51 PM   #4
mdmarmd
Established Member

M.O.C. #20369
I don't believe the leak is within the storage compartment. I had checked the floor of the compartment carefully as it was above where the leak to the ground was occuring. But there was no sign of an oil film along this compartment and I found none around any of the connectors within that compartment. Rather, it was in the external compartment that housed the gas tank and the left jack cylinder that showed suspicious signs of leakage. As mentioned, the most prominent leak is around those rotory valves and I am trying to isolate exactly which of the three connectors is leaking. Also, seems to have some leak around the top of the left cylinder somewhere but I can't locate exactly where it's coming from.

It seems the leak is somewhere in the left lpg gas compartment and it seems to track down the inner side of the front wall and then curves rightward following the trim molding on the outside and drips through the junction between the strips of molding.,
mdmarmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 12:35 AM   #5
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
Mine was leaking down also on the door side middle jack. Coming from the top of the cylinder. Checked all the fittings and found the silver plug which looked like it was in all the way was loose enough to run 2qts of fluid out over the last year. Fivers been inside storage during that time. Anyway checked a couple more and hey were loose but not leaking yet.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 08:30 AM   #6
Five O'clock Somewhere
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20168
I had the same problem with my 2018 3731FL. Turned out the the part that allows you to select which slides you want to open/ or not has a small stress crack. One replaced no more leakage.
Five O'clock Somewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 08:50 PM   #7
WMJourney
Established Member

M.O.C. #26193
I'm having the same issue on a brand new (5 day old) 3931FB but only with one of the landing gear. I plan to take it in for servicing (still under warranty). I'll post what they tell me. Hopefully it will help others.
WMJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 04:35 AM   #8
b-apple1
Established Member

M.O.C. #22282
add uv oil dye & check with black lite need to run hyd cyd in &out to find leaks
b-apple1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 06:54 PM   #9
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Could be the seal underneath cylinder that the jack goes up and down into.
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 08:17 PM   #10
WMJourney
Established Member

M.O.C. #26193
I found that my problem was actually with one of my lines. Not sure if it was the pressure or return line but the hydraulic fluid was leaking at the fitting. I tried to tighten it but made it worse. I ended up taking it to the dealership to be fixed (under warranty).

*Note: When I was under the RV trying to trouble shoot the problem, I noticed that several screws were missing from the under skirting. It looked as if either the manufacturer or the dealership had noticed the leak and tried to fix it. I know I'm not the only one who had noticed the fluid on the landing gear foot. Needless to say, I'm happy it's covered under the warranty and I'm also happy to have a trustworthy service shop to take it to.
WMJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 09:27 AM   #11
emiller

M.O.C. #31369
Same Issue

Good morning, I know I am late to the conversation by a few years, but I was hoping you could update your situation. I have the same exact issue on my 2018 3720rl Montana. I found the leak to be the top and bottom jack seals.

Did you replace your jack or just the seals?

Does anyone know what seal kit I need? There are no serial or model numbers on the jack.

Thank you in advance.
emiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 10:37 AM   #12
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
This is an old post but worth a comment on. If the original poster could answer whether they got the problem fixed and how the fix was achieved it would help greatly. Please do so if you will.
Secondly, if you are having a problem with your level-up system and leaks make sure you you keep checking the reservoir for fluid drop. Also make sure you use the proper fluid when topping off the reservoir if low. They use two different fluid- hydraulic fluid and automatic transmission fluid. You do not want to mix them.
Thirdly, if you have any questions concerning the level-up system give Lippert/LCI Customer Service a call and kindly ask them for help. In most cases, they will run you through a diagnostic check right over the phone and can tell you the problem and how to take care of it. I have even seen them send parts out (not the level-up legs and that) but gasket kits and etc for some of the do-it-yourselfers to repair the problem. They are probably the best Customer Service I have ever worked with when coming to asking questions and getting answers.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 10:51 AM   #13
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
There is a lot of conversation and threads regarding hydraulic cylinder leaks, repairs and replacement.

Here is one.
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=87221
Old 07-23-2022, 01:16 PM   #14
emiller

M.O.C. #31369
Same Issue

Thank you Foldbak and Rondo. Very helpful. I will post the solution and part numbers when I repair my jacks.
emiller is offline   Reply With Quote