Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2010, 01:20 AM   #1
radioattic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9967
Our first trip in the Monty

We finally took our "shakedown" trip to south Alabama. Stayed at Lazy Acres RV PArk in Elberrta, Alabama; nice place, lots of full-timers there.

I am just learning how to back up the rig. Got it out of the back yard after lots of attempts. After coming within an inch of taking down the street sign on the corner, we made it to the highway and the rest of the trip proceeded without incident.

We got to the campground in the pouring rain at 1:30PM. We got the last pull-through spot and drove in. I messed up leveling the RV and had to re-attach it to the truck and start over. All in the pouring rain. The walkie-talkies we have did not work very well, probably because was are not used to them. I had to get the slides out and the electricity connected so we could eat (Gloria is diabetic and we were late with lunch). Anyway, got it leveled, had lunch, then went out to flush out the water lines (the RV was still winterized and my water hose won't reach to where it was parked at home).

Lessons learned: (1) take up the rear stabilizers before trying to hitch to the truck, (2) don't travel with toilet paper hung in the holder (much of the roll UNrolled onto the floor by the time we got there), (3) when you un-winterize, don't open the water heater bypass switch and let it fill up with anti-freeze, and (4) a Gore-tex jacket does not keep my pants from getting soaked in a downpour.

My biggest impression of the new Monty fifth wheel is that it was considerably more time-consuming to set up then the old motorhome. But living in the fifth wheel is sure a heck of a lot more comfortable than my old 78 Southwind with no slides...

Here's a link to a photo album if anyone is interested: http://public.fotki.com/steveadams/first-rv-trip-/. I didn't take many photos since we were on the go the whole trip, and the days we stayed in, it was raining.

radioattic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 02:23 AM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
You done good!

The TP one is a new one, had not heard that one before. Small bungee cord might wrap around??

Walkie talkies, Al and I have reverted to cell phones, since we each have one on our hips and the usually are charged up.

Something bout those WT, that we do when we use them, I stand outside, while he is backing, and I start talking into that WT and I don't stop. (Now, hush friends, be nice, no cutsie comments about ole Carol not being able to shutup. ). Anyway, there is some lag time between when you push button on WT and start talking and the recepient starts hearing. If you keep talking, no lag time. If Al does not understand, he gets out to look.

Congrats and many more happy trips!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 02:40 AM   #3
greener
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7882
You will find setup is much easier each time you do it. Congratulations on your first camping trip with the Monty!
Nothing much is fun about setting up in the rain.
greener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 03:08 AM   #4
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Practice makes perfect, sometimes?? Been there and done that with the rear stabilizer jacks. The most important thing to remember when setting up and breaking down, is know your routine (it helps to have a checklist initially) and do not deviate from it. My family understands that set-up and break-down times are not to be times to ask Dad any questions or make any suggestions. The worst thing to do is hurry, because it never fails that in that hurry, something vital will be forgotten , overlooked or done incorrectly.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 03:08 AM   #5
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We all did the same thing when we started and in some cases it wasn't a good trip. RVing is just like anything else the more you do it the better you get. Thru trail and error, lots of errors, that when its raining now I will not unhook from Truck but will hook up to shore power and when it quits raining I will then unhook and connect things. Most of the time I want connect sewer until it needs to be dumped. I always travel with very little water on board. However it is really not a problem to travel with water, but keep in mind your pulling a lot of weight. I also believe I can set up about as fast as the Motor Homes. I will agree the Motor Homes have a advantage when the weather is bad. We do try not to travel on rainey days. A 3/4 length rain coat is a good thing to have. By the way you weren't very far from were we are, we are in Foley Ala. and have went thru Elberrta, Ala. many times. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 03:19 AM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
radioattic, Welcome to "The Best Darned Forum on the WWW!!!" It sounds like you had a fairly successful first trip. At least you didn't damage anything. I bent an awning arm the first time out and had to have it replaced. That awning has kicked my rear a couple of times. I have been very lucky in my three years of fulltiming in that, I have only had to set up in the rain twice and I would say it was more of a sprinkle. Setting up does get easier the more you do it and if your DW helps with the outside it goes quicker and she learns how to di it also....Just in case she has to do it all some day.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 03:30 AM   #7
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Welcome to the forum. Take the rig out one Sunday morning and take it to a large parking lot. You can practice backing to your hearts content. When you are backing, grab the steering wheel at the bottom. If you want the rear of the trailer to go left, turn the wheel to the left. Setting up and breaking down gets faster and easier with time and practice.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 03:49 AM   #8
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Welcome to the forum, radioattic. The entire setting up process does get easier and faster as you continue to do it. We, too, went from a Class A MH to a Montana and realize the difference that you speak of. When it is raining hard, we too do not set up all the way until it either stops or slows down. Shore power, water and putting out just the slide you need will usually suffice until it is more comfortable outside. Please keep us posted about your Montana adventures so that we can all see that they just continue getting better.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 04:27 AM   #9
radioattic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9967
Thanks to all who replied with encouragement!

We're getting used to the change from motorhome to 5th wheel, and so far we like it! Delaine, we drove past your campground several times last week.

The local First Baptist preacher is building a home across the street, and he has invited us to use the big flat gravel lot behind the church for backing up excercise. Yay! He said the church buses are parked right next to the church, which means, stay away from the buses (although he didn't really say that).
radioattic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 05:20 AM   #10
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by radioattic

The walkie-talkies we have did not work very well, probably because was are not used to them.

take up the rear stabilizers before trying to hitch to the truck.

Welcome to the forum...a couple of suggestions:

We thought of walkie talkies, but now use the cell phones, I put mine on "speaker" they work well.

I had a problem remembering to bring up the rear stabilizers too. I put a tag attached to a string that hangs down over the switch that controls the landing gear saying..."STABILZERS." In order to push the landing gear switch, I have to move the tag...so far it has worked.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:07 AM   #11
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

Welcome to the Montana life radioattic! We also went from a M/H to the Montana fifth wheel. We like it real well. I have always found that with each trip the job of setting up gets a little easier. Before you know it you will be setting up and won’t think much about it; everything becomes routine. I would rather set up the Monty than to deal with the M/H we had considering that we also had a dolly for a small car to deal with. We’ve had several pull trailers and 1 M/H before the 5th wheel. I would by far rather deal with the 5th wheel. The parking takes a little getting used to but everything else is much better all the way around especially when towing. The idea of towing again became quite welcome after two years of the M/H. Again, welcome aboard and who knows; perhaps we will meet on the road sometime. Be sure and check out some of the rallies. A really great way to meet a lot of MOCer’s.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:33 AM   #12
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Another convert from a Class A to a 5th wheel and with all the additional room, I would never go back, plus I am a little more comfortable driving the pickup pulling the Montana than I was driving the Class A.
You will get a process to setting up and it becomes easier. I too have left the rear jacks down so I am in good company. A lesson I learned for leveling left to right was that 1 two by eight board about 3 feet long under the front axle is equalivant to one bubble width on the level. Put a board under both axles for a bubble and a half.
Thanks for the pictures, always like to see what other campsite look like.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 01:49 PM   #13
sfretts
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8573
Hi,

We have been RVing it for a couple years now. Every time it gets a little easier. I do break out the checklist when the trailer has sat for awhile. One very good point was asking questions or comments during this procedure. I have well intended in laws who want to help set up and take down to make things easier. It ends up taking twice as long when showing them what to do and then fixing it later. One time I learned to not allow anyone to 'assist' as they let the spare down while supposedly bring the back stabilizers up...Anyway, enjoy and follow that check list for quite a while just to be sure.
sfretts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 02:15 PM   #14
wersqu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5683
Welcome to a wonderful site. You can get help with everything here! Great group of people. For your TP problem, just squeeze the roll making it un-round (is that a word?)it will not unroll as easy .
wersqu is offline   Reply With Quote