Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2008, 04:36 AM   #1
Butch&Carol
Established Member

M.O.C. #7795
storage locks

Somewhere I saw a combination lock that replaced the key type locks on the belly storage doors Does anyone know where you can find that type of lock

Butch&Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 05:37 AM   #2
jpbcny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4571
You might want to browse this topic: Combination Storage Locks

JP
jpbcny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 09:34 AM   #3
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
Not only the storage bays, but the door lock too. We discovered that our door key, will not only open all Montanae (maybe all Keystone trailers?) but Jayco as well. So much for feeling secure!
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 10:56 AM   #4
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by KathyandDave

Not only the storage bays, but the door lock too. We discovered that our door key, will not only open all Montanae (maybe all Keystone trailers?) but Jayco as well. So much for feeling secure!
We were told that the top lock is for dealers, everyone has a key that fits, including your neighbor.

The bottom lock should have more randomness to it.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 11:00 AM   #5
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
Thanks for that info. It makes me feel better! I always lock both, but Dave has always said that it isn't necessary.
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 11:39 AM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I don't believe in going to all the trouble to change locks on the storage doors because anyone can get into them with a screwdriver regardless of the type of lock (unless you install a hasp and padlock).

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 11:56 AM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
These compartment doors are so flimsy anyone can get in regardless of how secure they are. You can put the most expensive lock available, you can put on 10 hasps with Master padlocks and they will still get thru those flimsy doors.
I have yet to meat anyone personally that has had their compartments broken into. Oh sure we all have heard the story of someone said that someone said that someone said that some one's compartments were broken into. Now if you wanna believe that I have some ocean front property in Arizona.....
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 12:13 PM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I big screw driver will get you through the door into the Montana, also. Just put it against the door jam and pop the door open.

Now a Bull Mastif on the inside, or a Pit Bull would be a big deterrent!!!

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 12:28 AM   #9
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
Two things to add.....we purchased a 1976 Wilderness trailer to refurbish for our daughter. The folks didn't have a key for the storage compartments - thats okay our key for our 2007 Montana works just fine on it.

That said, don't try and change it. As others have said a determined thief will get in anyway and that extra minute or two you cause the thief is going to cost you alot more. The company that makes the doors (Nappaneese windows-I think) has gone out of buisness. Obviously someone is going to step in and make the doors now but no guarentee theys will match exactly or mount in the same holes.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Glenn and Lorraine

These compartment doors are so flimsy anyone can get in regardless of how secure they are. You can put the most expensive lock available, you can put on 10 hasps with Master padlocks and they will still get thru those flimsy doors.
I have yet to meat anyone personally that has had their compartments broken into. Oh sure we all have heard the story of someone said that someone said that someone said that some one's compartments were broken into. Now if you wanna believe that I have some ocean front property in Arizona.....
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 01:23 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
For those that are not yet aware the 751 key will fit 90/95 % of ALL compartments on ALL brands of RV. It has been that way for many years.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 02:14 AM   #11
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by simonsrf

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by KathyandDave

Not only the storage bays, but the door lock too. We discovered that our door key, will not only open all Montana (maybe all Keystone trailers?) but Jayco as well. So much for feeling secure!
We were told that the top lock is for dealers, everyone has a key that fits, including your neighbor.

The bottom lock should have more randomness to it.
Dealers have a Master Key that fits the top lock and this is why they tell you not to lockup using the bottom lock when dropping off your rig for service. Other than your own key and only the dealer's Master Keys will work in the top lock. The Master Key will not work in the bottom (Dead Bolt) lock. Other than your own, no other individuals key will work in the dead bolt.
Now, Having said that we should also realize that there are just so many ways to cut a key blank and therefore somewhere out there there is a key that may fit your locks BUT, by the same token, that same thing applies to EVERY key for EVERY lock including your TV, pad locks (including those by Master Lock Co.).
Even combination locks can have duplicate combinations and the same combinations would apply to all brands. Consider they only use 10 numbers and your TV needs 4 numbers for your combination. Now consider there are just so many combination variables you can get from 0 - 9.
ALSO, every lock out there can be picked. If it can't be picked we couldn't afford it and surely way to expensive to spend on our flimsy compartment doors.

Worrying about locks is like worrying about dying. There ain't a whole lot you can do about it. We are all going to die and all locks can be bypassed in some fashion. Life is way to short, pun intended, to worry about these trivial things.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 04:19 AM   #12
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Most time I don't lock my basement doors, most everything can be replaced cheaper than the doors. A thief will get in if he/she wants in. As of today I am looking for another handgun with a larger clip. My Colt 380 doesn't hold enough ammo. GBY.....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 05:08 AM   #13
rving2us
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7880
I do lock the side doors of the storage compoartments but can not lock the front (between the landing gear). I can close them and turndown the latches but to lock the door down is such a pain I do not bother. I always keep a #751 key with me, you would be amazed how many locks at school I can excess with that key.
rving2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 11:15 AM   #14
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
I locked myself out of the RV in the Woodlands. I guess I shouldn't say I locked my self out, it should be Bob locked me out. He had locked the dead bolt when he left one morning for a training seminar. I took the trash out to set it on the road for pickup and shut the door to keep the cat in. I came back to open the door and couldn't get back in. I think I had about 30 different keys that were tried by other RV'ers in the park and none would work. I finally found a local camper that owned a Montana and we tried his keys, they wouldn't work either. He did come up with the idea of the grandson crawling up the laundry chute and opening the door from the inside.

Sure was embarassing taking all of the junk out of the storage compartment. We now have a spare key hidden in case it happens again.

Oh hubby had his cell phone turned off!!

Collen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 11:57 AM   #15
Kandharry
Established Member

M.O.C. #8304
Butch:
I normally don't lock 'em, but I've installed upgraded baggage door locks with (other than 751) keys.
If I'm leaving the rig overnight or am uncomfortable with anything
I lock 'em up.
I've found the best selection and reliable customer service at
www.rvadenver.com.
Harry
Kandharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 12:29 PM   #16
osofine
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7471
Send a message via AIM to osofine
Pretty good locks are available at Home Depot (keyed alike). We changed all 3 basement keys because we were leaving it full at a campground along a highway for 7 weeks while we drove back to Illinois to work on getting the house ready for sale. They have longer keys and longer latches. That makes it harder to pry open. It at least stops the casual thief that will try their key to 'see' if it works.
osofine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 05:22 PM   #17
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
We changed out all our locks. DH always says that locks are to keep honest people honest. If a thief wants in they will find a way. The bottom line is that the new locks make ME feel better.
CasaDelSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 01:25 PM   #18
Butch&Carol
Established Member

M.O.C. #7795
Thanks everyone for your comments. I know changing the locks won't keep the real thieves out but it might slow them down just a little bit. Thanks again
Butch&Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 12:02 AM   #19
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
We actually had our unit robbed. They pried open the basement doors - regardless of how long the latches, those doors bend a lot. Then they crawled up through the laundry chute and grabbed about $4,000 worth of stuff. And, then they slit the sidewall of one of the tires or we may not have even noticed while we were there. I dare say that I could get into any rig if needed with a minimum of damage with either a screwdriver or cordless drill. We are now storing at an RV dealership with state of the art security system that includes lights and cameras. I do not consider my home any more secure. That being said, if it makes you feel safer go for it. Our next unit will be a side aisle (for other reasons than security)but that is one of the side benefits.

LOCKS ARE FOR HONEST PEOPLE - HONEST.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 09:44 AM   #20
detailman

M.O.C. #8951
We do a lot of dealer details and have a set of master keys. Almost every brand of RV uses a 751 key fror the storage areas. I believe the 9901 om M key unlocks most of the upper locks on most trailers.
detailman is offline   Reply With Quote