Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-06-2019, 11:44 AM   #1
Crj410

M.O.C. #24432
2010 Montana rv hydraulic issue

Went to extend my landing gear to hook up my truck, hydraulic slowly died. Dc power died, gave me an excuse to get 2 new batteries (6 volt golf cart ) in series. All hooked up and DC power works fine, but hydraulic doesn’t function , outside panel nothing works.

Crj410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 12:12 PM   #2
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
First - welcome to the forum!

Check the circuit breaker between the battery and the hydraulic pump.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 09:53 PM   #3
RichardD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22381
Like AZ said, check the circuit breaker for power on both sides. The breaker could be a 50 or 60 amp. If you have power there, check to see if there is power at the motor when activated. If there is 12 volts at the motor, more than likely the motor has failed. These bi-directional motors do not like low voltage from a dead or dieing battery and will burn up the brushes and armature inside the motor. I am speaking from experience and I can also tell you that these motors are not cheap.
Good luck!
RichardD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 08:14 AM   #4
psomers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12724
Doesn't the 2010 landing gear operate on an electric motor with a shaft that goes from left to right leg? I thought on 2010s the slides were the only thing operating on hydraulics.

Paul Northport,AL W4XH
2013 358 RLT Mountaineer
2008 Silverado Duramax
psomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 02:52 PM   #5
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
We've a 2010 and the landing gear is electric, not hydraulic. Your slides are hydraulic, but not the landing gear. Your thinking that your battery died is probably correct. If your unit is stock, you've a single electric motor that is close to the street side landing gear and drives it and the curb side via a long shaft running across the front basement. This setup is why you've got to have your unit level before extending the landing gear.
Old 07-08-2019, 07:15 PM   #6
Dcon93465

M.O.C. #24216
This was our first failure on our new to us 2008 2955RL. The stock landing gear setup really is weak. The single motor and plastic gearbox setup for both legs is limiting. The ratcheting noise you hear is the PLASTIC gear box stripping out. I dont understand why plastic is used for this application. You can get another plastic box and repair it that way. I chose to get the Bulldog 500161 independent landing gear setup. A little pricey, but significantly better. I wired it for the high torque mode, albeit sloooooow, it is strong. installation was fairly easy.
Dcon93465 is offline   Reply With Quote