Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-12-2011, 04:34 AM   #1
Ronnelly
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #794
Storing Montana

We plan to store our Montana in the Foley, Alabama area. I need recommendations of how to get it ready for storage. I usually get the Downy dryer towels, but someone said we need to put charcoal(what kind?) in and also those things to pull out moistere. It will be hot here during the summer. Thanks for any suggestions.

Ronnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 05:40 AM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Are you going to be storing covered or uncovered?
We store ours here in north Texas in covered but not enclosed storage. Temps can get to 105 or more, but it does not get direct sun. I don't do anything special to store mine and have had no problems at all.
We often have pretty high humidity also, but not as high as you will have in coastal Alabama.
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 06:15 AM   #3
Ronnelly
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #794
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BB_TX

Are you going to be storing covered or uncovered?
We store ours here in north Texas in covered but not enclosed storage. Temps can get to 105 or more, but it does not get direct sun. I don't do anything special to store mine and have had no problems at all.
We often have pretty high humidity also, but not as high as you will have in coastal Alabama.
It will be uncovered. We don't need to winterize they said here. Also close all the windows. Keep it tight. Put inserts to keep sun out of roof openings and pull down the shades. Thanks for your help.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:03 AM   #4
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I don't know how long you have in mind when you say "store", but if you're talking months, I'd drain the water from the fresh water tank, hot water heater and low point drains as it may get pretty "ripe" by the time you do use it again. As for the fridge, wad up several newspaper pages and put them in both fridge and freezer. The ink will absorb the ordors that appear during storage. If you are really industrious, I'd clean the roof and apply 303 Protectant as well as to the sides. It has a UV inhibitor that helps fight the sun's rays. I'd also get the tires off the dirt whether it be wood, gravel, or concrete.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:09 PM   #5
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Some of the campgrounds in that area have check lists of things to do for long term storage. I believe it included things like all clothing and bedding in plastic storage bins. Lots of snifty tricks.

You might try calling a few of the campgrounds to see if they will share their list!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 04:12 PM   #6
Ronnelly
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #794
You might try calling a few of the campgrounds to see if they will share their list![/font=Comic Sans MS][/size=3]
[/quote]Thanks for your suggestions. We checked with the campground here and they said that all we need to do is get little containers and put charcoal in them and place them all over the camper. Also get Downie dryer sheets and place them all over. Keep the windows closed and everything tight. Don't need to winterize, but drain all the tanks and water heater and waterlines. Unhook everything and they'll move it into a storage area. When we are ready to come back, they'll move our Montana onto our spot for us.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:54 PM   #7
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
I'd get some Reflectix insulation. It comes in rolls, is about 1/4" thick with bubble wrap on the inside and reflective aluminum on the outsides. Cut it out and put it over the windows, it will not only keep some heat out, it will keep the sun off everything. Here's the Home Depot link: http://www.homedepot.com/Building-Ma...atalogId=10053
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote