Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 01-22-2011, 03:42 PM   #1
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Could not believe what I heard!

Well gang I headed across the Missouri to attend the first seasons Hunting, Fishing, and RV Show! I was walking around the area that had the campers in it and was talking to two gentlemen in the CW display. One was a saleman and the other claimed to be the REGIONAL SALES MANAGER or BUYER for CW. I was talking to a couple looking into buying their first RV and asked my opinion.

They asked what I had and why. I told them why I had a Montana. We were sitting in an Alpine at the time. The salesman and the MANAGER came in and started their speals. They told us that the ALPINE is now the top of the line of Keystone and that it is far and above anything else that Keystone puts out! I asked them about Montanas and their reply was, though not in these exact words-- "You're pulling a subgrade unit when you are pulling the Montana!" I asked why they said that and they said it was because they pay more for the Alpines than they do the Montanas. Come to find out they cannot order Montanas here in Omaha and they didn't bother to tell the couple I was talking to that idea either. The MANAGER told me to my face that the Big Sky is not made anymore. I agreed. I then asked if they offer the Big Sky option on anything else and they said it is not offered either because the Alpine is taking it's place and will be taking the Montanas place over the next few years. Apparently, nobody has told them that the Montana is the #1 selling fifth wheel over the past 10 years. The local dealer for Montanas was also in the show and I walked over to them after our conversation and told them what I had been told. They just shook their head and then thanked me for letting them know what CW was trying to pull on customers and saying about the Montana.

Just thought you all would like to know that we are towing subgrade fifth wheels and what our local CW think of us and our units!

Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 04:23 PM   #2
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
I sure am glad not all CWs are like that. It is butt heads like that make retail sales a pain in the butt. Like my favorite quote says "RV Dealers are like Slinkys, not good for much but they make you laugh when you kick them down the stairs."
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:15 AM   #3
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
The Alpine is at the top of the "higher priced" fifth wheels. I was of the impression those are listed in order of cost, top unit being the highest.....of course, Big Sky is all alone in the "luxury" units category.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 02:39 AM   #4
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
Agreed, Will. We looked at the Alpine at the Tampa show. While it was nice, we still prefer our Big Sky.
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 02:47 AM   #5
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Ron, pass that along to Aram and Brian, I'll bet they will be "glad" to hear the conversation.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 02:53 AM   #6
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Exnavydiver

I sure am glad not all CWs are like that. It is butt heads like that make retail sales a pain in the butt. Like my favorite quote says "RV Dealers are like Slinkys, not good for much but they make you laugh when you kick them down the stairs."
:-)
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 02:52 PM   #7
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
Is CW in Omaha or Council Bluffs?
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 03:50 PM   #8
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SlickWillie

The Alpine is at the top of the "higher priced" fifth wheels. I was of the impression those are listed in order of cost, top unit being the highest.....of course, Big Sky is all alone in the "luxury" units category.
I don't think the Alpine is the top of the line. I searched in the Mesa AZ area and the Montanas are $15-20,000 higher.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 04:16 PM   #9
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Mickey and Mary-- The CW is in Council Bluffs just off I-80 at the same exit as Bass Pro Shop! Hey, since you are from Cedar Rapids, you might want to consider coming over to Nebraska for the Central Plains Regional Rally coming up in July! If you have any questions just contact the Wagonmaster(me)and I'll try to answer anything you have!

Tom and Gail-- I agree with you about the prices of the Montana but I couldn't convince the "MANAGER" of Sales or the Buyer(which ever he was) of it! He actually became became a little belligerent towards the end of the discussion.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:22 AM   #10
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
We love or Montana! I must say I haven't looked at the Alpine yet, but, they appear very nice they sound equal to the Montana. Guess we'll go check them out and see.

kevin
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:04 AM   #11
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
I believe in keeping things simple. Montana, Mountaineer, Big Sky says "good old USA". Alpine says "Made in the EU". There goes the toes.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:24 AM   #12
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
EU??? Eastern United States???? Hee Hee!!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:28 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
That was just a salesman and not a good one at that.A good salesman does not talk down the competitor's product but rather sells the good points about his and allows the customer to make the choice.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:10 AM   #14
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Rich-- I'm surprised the one gentleman was in the position he held as Regional Manager for Sales and Buying! He wanted you or the couple to think he was all knowing but actually only knew of one product and it seemed little at that! The salesman was a rather know-it-all and made the comment that he doesn't sell things unless he knows totally about the units he sells. I really think he knew more about the Alpine than the Manager! I just couldn't believe the crap this guy was feeding this couple. Luckily the couple is going to call me before they do any buying!
Old 01-26-2011, 10:47 AM   #15
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pineranch

I believe in keeping things simple. Montana, Mountaineer, Big Sky says "good old USA". Alpine says "Made in the EU". There goes the toes.
Mike
Alpine is made in the old Everest Plant, still In Indiana
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:32 AM   #16
LuckyNichol
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8615
Well, I guess it depends on the CW. The Madison CW is now -- as of this week -- back in the RV selling business. Because we are good CW customers they are going out of their way to get the unit we want from another dealership. They didn't bad mouth our choice or try to sell us something else in stock.
LuckyNichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:10 PM   #17
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
So don't keep us in suspence Nick-- what are you getting??

Swanny-- In fact, it is made two plants/buildings down from the Montana plant -- at least that is what the "Manager" said! LOL
Old 01-26-2011, 12:34 PM   #18
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Nick, we're waiting to see what you're getting? Rondo, we may have more opportunities this year to get together in Omaha. We will probably be making four or five trips to Colorado if we break ground on the new home (if we can afford what we've drawn).
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:01 PM   #19
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
See Nick-- You've got us all interested!

Ron-- Sent you an email
Old 01-26-2011, 01:51 PM   #20
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
Most CW sales are in fact not CW. They are a local dealer that partnered with CW. Locally here in the upstate of SC, Columbia, and Myrtle Beach Holliday Kamper joined CW. I don't exactly how this arrangement works, but RV sales are not directly CW. Alpine replaced Everest and is on equal ground with Montana just as Everest was. It's just a matter of personal preference. Those guys were definitely idiots.
Clemson1881 is offline   Reply With Quote