Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-11-2022, 03:11 PM   #1
GregoryL

M.O.C. #31877
Lippert Auto Level goes out of stroke

I have a 2015 Montana High Country, and I love the Lippert Leveling system.
However the last two times I was doing Auto Level as the system is almost complete I get Out of Stroke message.
First time it happened I re-homed the system by extending front and rear at least 6 inches and then hit Retract All, which should correct it.
But the next time I did Auto level, as it is almost complete I get the Out of Stroke message again.
The legs aren't over extended with LF 5.1 inch, RF 5.6 inch, LR 6.5 and RR 6.5.
Any ideas what the problem could be or how to reset it?

GregoryL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 03:19 PM   #2
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoryL View Post
I have a 2015 Montana High Country, and I love the Lippert Leveling system.
However the last two times I was doing Auto Level as the system is almost complete I get Out of Stroke message.
First time it happened I re-homed the system by extending front and rear at least 6 inches and then hit Retract All, which should correct it.
But the next time I did Auto level, as it is almost complete I get the Out of Stroke message again.
The legs aren't over extended with LF 5.1 inch, RF 5.6 inch, LR 6.5 and RR 6.5.
Any ideas what the problem could be or how to reset it?
Out of stroke simply means that one or more of the landing legs have extended as far as it can and the trailer isn't level. Typically you would retract all and add blocks. You should be fine. In your case if you're only able to extend the legs 5 or 6" then you probably need to reset.

You should download the lippert now app on your phone.

https://support.lci1.com/ground-cont...ol-touch-panel

Here's how to reset
Turn the power to the system OFF.
Press “Front” five times.
Press “Rear” five times. At this point the panel will read “ZERO POINT CALIBRATION” and all lights (front, right, left, rear) will flash.
Press ENTER to reset the auto level control.

Good luck
Old 11-11-2022, 04:50 PM   #3
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
I hear ya! Mine does that almost every time. The legs are no where near out of stroke but I get the message just as it's finished leveling. But rather than give me a "Successful" message I get the Out of Stroke message and have to rehome the thing.

It's a finicky system and Lippert has no real help for it except to suggest that it might be the main board which costs over $500.00. Never mind that I've called them about this issue since it was new.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 05:33 PM   #4
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I have had a similar issue happen every now and then. It simply does not makes sense. What I started doing is to make sure I have the trailer set pretty level to start with, left-right by using lumber under the tires. I have a bubble level on my King Pin so I can play with the left-right pretty successful while still hitched. It's ONLY when I don't take the time do the initial left-right pre-level by using lumber under the tires, that I run into problems.... ever time ... like ... when I get in a hurry.

Second, I want my rear jacks to extend as short as possible. That means, in order to avoid a rear stroke, I need to add extra lumber height under them. What I've done, I've measured the distance that each jack needs to extend for a very success auto level. After doing the left-right "exercise" from the very beginning, I build up a block foundation under each jack. The block of lumber is stacked up high enough so each jack does not have to extend any further than the "sweet spot" length, pre-determined.

Sometimes, It's a little hard to figure out exactly how tall the stack of lumber needs to be. So, I'll go ahead and do my best estimate for the height of the landing gear. Then manually get the trailer as close to level front-to-back. THEN I can put the lumber under the other 4 rear jacks. THEN hit the auto level.

When I do it this way, I never have issues with the auto level. When I don't go through this process, they almost always stroke out, and then I retract and start all over .... the meticulous way.

The auto level IS very, very fickle. Personally, I absolutely hate it. I've never really got the hang of using it, it's frustrating when stroke-outs happen. So, learned to just revert back to those former days of Travel Trailer ownership when leveling was done with boards under the tires and hand cranking the tongue up and down. The auto level feature is a joke. But it does fine tune the level, IF you are relatively level and jacks don't have to extend very far to begin with. Then it does great. But I've go to do all the preliminary stuff first.

I'm sure when I arrive at the campsite, I'm quite a skeptical. Folks probably think ... MAN! That guy is really anal about setting up. What's his problem. Well, now you know what the problem is! However, doing it this way has now become such a routine process now, I don't think anything about it any more.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 05:56 PM   #5
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
The added benefit of Dutchman's routine is the the more dunnage (blocks) you have beneath the levelers (sometimes referred to as jacks), the more stable the fiver is due to the shorter distance the levelers had to extend. There is definitely a learning curve to the autolevel system.
Lee-CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 07:22 PM   #6
GregoryL

M.O.C. #31877
Ok Tony, I'll try that reset. Thanks
GregoryL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 05:15 PM   #7
shovelhead86
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foldbak View Post
Out of stroke simply means that one or more of the landing legs have extended as far as it can and the trailer isn't level. Typically you would retract all and add blocks. You should be fine. In your case if you're only able to extend the legs 5 or 6" then you probably need to reset.

You should download the lippert now app on your phone.

https://support.lci1.com/ground-cont...ol-touch-panel

Here's how to reset
Turn the power to the system OFF.
Press “Front” five times.
Press “Rear” five times. At this point the panel will read “ZERO POINT CALIBRATION” and all lights (front, right, left, rear) will flash.
Press ENTER to reset the auto level control.

Good luck
Make sure your batteries are fully charged as I found out a slightly low battery will cause all kinds of wierd happenings.
shovelhead86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 07:32 PM   #8
Chief Brown
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27901
The best money we have ever spent when it comes to RV's is the Level Mate Pro system. We were going through the same issues as you guys with the auto leveling. Now when we get to a site the Level Mate tells me exactly how far I am off side to side and front to rear (in inches). For example, if it says the front needs to come down 5" I leave about 7" of clearance from the bottom of the foot to the ground or blocks. When I hit auto level, it will drop the front 5" and leave me 2" on the front legs. This is harder to explain than show someone. When it comes to the rear jacks, I always have about 4" from the foot to the ground or blocks. For us this has eliminated the dreaded "out of stroke error".