Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2019, 01:17 PM   #1
badknees
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23792
towing with golf cart trailer behind

I have 2019 3931fb and I pull a smart trailer behind with a golf cart. I pulled into keystone to have entrance door check because would not lock. It started at lazydays before I even hooked onto golf cart. anyway the service person said that was the reason my door didn't lock was the golf cart trailer behind.so to keep my warranty.I had to have my fifth wheel frame checked.there was no problem with frame. They say there is a 300lb weight on the receiver. My trailer is 5'4" long just wide enough for golf cart. I had no problem with my 2013 montana. does anyone have a suggestion what I can do. Is there a way to reinforce the hitch. I just haul the trailer to florida for winter and back to Mich. thank for any advice.

badknees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 01:33 PM   #2
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
My hitch has a tag saying it is limited to 200 pounds. Folks have beefed things up to tow. So maybe someone can help.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 02:05 PM   #3
Montajmahal
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23285
Keystone could easily have voided your warranty on the spot so you can feel fortunate they did not. Know now that they likely have it documented in the VIN file that you are pulling over the max limit for your hitch. If there is a claim for frame issues in the future they can deny coverage. I worked directly with the claims department regarding warranty issues. You can have a certified welder engineer an appropriate hitch to pull a trailer and golf cart if you wish, and you should seriously consider it, as you are exceeding the rated hitch capacity. According to Keystone however, you would then void your warranty for “Any additions or modifications” to the trailer not done during assembly of the unit or otherwise authorized by Keystone.
Montajmahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 07:06 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
If you have Lippert put a hitch on then the frame warranty should still be good since it's their frame and warranty really.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 06:18 AM   #5
JEROME
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22972
I thought it was illegal for one tailor to pull another.
JEROME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 07:07 AM   #6
mr68gts
Established Member

M.O.C. #24185
As far as I know you can only do it with a 5th wheel. Not sure if all states allow it but pretty sure I've seen it in all the states I've been in so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEROME View Post
I thought it was illegal for one tailor to pull another.
mr68gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 07:13 AM   #7
badknees
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23792
the hitch was installed by Lippert when they built the fifth wheel frame. also I took it back to Lippert and had them inspect and measure everything. per keystone request. It all passed and they put all the reports in the file at keystone. Montajmahal as you say, its up to keystone on whats going to happen. Ive been lucky that there been nothing wrong with my fifth wheel that I've had to take it in for work. Thank you everyone for your input. hope to meet some of you at the 2019 rallie
Old 06-10-2019, 07:15 AM   #8
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
Different regulations for different states. You need to check regs for the states you are going to be traveling through, although many have reported doing so in states where it is not allowed without being stopped. You also need to keep overall length and GCVW limits in mind.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:21 AM   #9
badknees
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23792
I checked from Mich to Florida and the only state that does not allow two trailers is Georgia so I go around it.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:40 AM   #10
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Basically it's not allowed on either coast.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:44 AM   #11
BandBmalin
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22581
badknees,

I also tow a smart trailer for my golf cart. In my case, the receiver that came with my fifth wheel had a sticker that said it was NOT for towing. To reinforce that sticker, the spot you would normally attach the safety chains was plate steel with no holes to hook the chains to. I cut their receiver off and installed a bolt on receiver I got from Etrailer that is designed for towing. (Probably voided my frame warranty already becuase of that.) As for the "triple towing" concern, I've not heard of anyone getting pulled over for this type of set up. The smart trailer is more like a giant shelf with casters helping to hold it up than a second trailer. I only tow inside Florida with the golf cart so I can't comment on how other state troopers may interpret this set up. A friend of someone I used to work with was considering a similar trailer and kept asking state troopers if it was legal in FL and their reactions varied.

I can only comment on my experience and so far, I've had no issues with my set up.
2017 Fully Grown 5 Pound Toy Golden Doodle
BandBmalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 09:24 AM   #12
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Many LEOs will tell you that as long as everything looks good and you're not driving crazy that they have Bigger Fish to go after, BUT if you run into a LEO that got out of the wrong side of the bed that morning, you could end of dropping a trailer at the side of the road. If it's legal in your home state, you could always plead that you didn't know.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:19 PM   #13
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
Ga ,Fla,Ala are no tow states. I was told by Hiway patrol in Florida that unless your doing something stupid they don’t bother. Last winter we went back to Florida for the winter to see the kids and a guy from Michigan came towing about a 25 ft pontoon boat behind his 40ft fiver. Said he had no problems with law enf. From Northern Michigan To Okeechobee
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 01:56 PM   #14
Crowes

M.O.C. #23924
No tow states comment for GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmitfl View Post
Ga ,Fla,Ala are no tow states. I was told by Hiway patrol in Florida that unless your doing something stupid they don’t bother. Last winter we went back to Florida for the winter to see the kids and a guy from Michigan came towing about a 25 ft pontoon boat behind his 40ft fiver. Said he had no problems with law enf. From Northern Michigan To Okeechobee
Unless Ga has recently changed there road laws , this statement is not true. Not trying to be argumentative but the actual law is that you can triple tow but there is a length limit. I have tripled towed boats, Rvs, both and been thru many a road block and it was cool. Also as far as people worrying about the laws in different states it actually depends on the state your registration is in. This drives me nuts seeing this statement on the forums . If we had to memorize 50 different sets of driving rules we would never leave the house . As per example I was was pulled over for no tag on my boat going through ga as I now live in SC the officer asked me where’s my tag , I said I don’t need one . He had to call his supervisor and found out that no I do not require one . So these statements have been tested and I’ve spent time on the phone with Ga state Patrol about the triple towing when I lived in ga asking questions . So there you now know why you see some triple towing and some not . Also triple towing behind a giant 5ver and not being able to see what your towing at all times is simply an unsafe practice.
Crowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 04:32 PM   #15
StageCoachDriver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22620
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr68gts View Post
As far as I know you can only do it with a 5th wheel. Not sure if all states allow it but pretty sure I've seen it in all the states I've been in so far.

I believe Florida is one of the states where it is illegal.
StageCoachDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 07:22 AM   #16
Greg n Tracy
Established Member

M.O.C. #24154
Not to hi-jack the post, but has anyone ever triple (flat) towed a Jeep (#3500) behind their 5ver? Considering these concerns already: properly rated hitch, all necessary towing equipment, voids warranty, tow vehicle capacity, rear camera, over length (probably). I still want to do it, just don't want to be that guy that everybody is looking at saying "I told you so".
Greg n Tracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 08:14 PM   #17
northern lights
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18757
Send a message via AIM to northern lights
Definitely illegal in Florida & Alabama. But, we have friends who tow a Harley trailer down here to Florida from Indiana where it's legal. And other friends who live in Florida pull their MC trailer all over Florida. They've never been stopped anywhere on the route.
It may depend on the officers' discretion
northern lights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 08:27 PM   #18
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
Crowes , can you show us something definitive saying that you only have to conform your state of registration laws? While something like plate display is recognized state to state I'm pretty sure you have to comply with each states towing regulations. It's up to each individual to know and understand the laws in each state we visit. That is why our country is divided into 50 states.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:48 PM   #19
Bad Moon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18546
I think we are misunderstanding the OP. A "Smart Trailer" is a "swivel wheel trailer" AKA an "extension". It is not a trailer in the usual sense. It has two attachment points, and either a single swivel wheel or two swivel wheels. They are easy to back up, and legal in all states, as far as I know, as long as you don't exceed the maximum length restrictions.

More info here: https://smarttrailers.com/
Old 12-13-2019, 08:54 AM   #20
chulavista
Established Member

M.O.C. #25440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg n Tracy View Post
Not to hi-jack the post, but has anyone ever triple (flat) towed a Jeep (#3500) behind their 5ver? Considering these concerns already: properly rated hitch, all necessary towing equipment, voids warranty, tow vehicle capacity, rear camera, over length (probably). I still want to do it, just don't want to be that guy that everybody is looking at saying "I told you so".
Sorry about hijacking this thread - but I want to answer what I have found:
In Arizona, you can tow a second trailer behind a fifth wheel - it MUST be a fifth wheel or gooseneck type. Second, the main trailer (fifth wheel) must have it's own set of trailer brakes; third, if the second trailer / item being towed is over 3000lbs it must have it's own set of trailer brakes; fourth, overall length of tow vehicle plus trailers being towed cannot be over 65 feet. That doesn't mean this length thing is strictly enforced.
I've checked into all of this because this is what hubby and I plan to do on occasion with a SXS on a flat bed trailer.
Retirement May 31 2020
chulavista is offline   Reply With Quote