Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-13-2019, 09:26 AM   #21
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Moon View Post
I think we are misunderstanding the OP. A "Smart Trailer" is a "swivel wheel trailer" AKA an "extension". It is not a trailer in the usual sense. It has two attachment points, and either a single swivel wheel or two swivel wheels. They are easy to back up, and legal in all states, as far as I know, as long as you don't exceed the maximum length restrictions.

More info here: https://smarttrailers.com/
Not only is it not a trailer in the legal sense but it is also not regulated as a trailer. Not all states are the same. In my state it is a dolly, does not require a registration or license plate and is not considered double towing. Each state has the ability to regulate these items as they deem necessary so do your own research. Swivel and Freedom Haulers(formerly Idaho Tote) fall into these extension categories.

PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 06:37 PM   #22
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW Fireguy View Post
Not only is it not a trailer in the legal sense but it is also not regulated as a trailer. Not all states are the same. In my state it is a dolly, does not require a registration or license plate and is not considered double towing. Each state has the ability to regulate these items as they deem necessary so do your own research. Swivel and Freedom Haulers(formerly Idaho Tote) fall into these extension categories.
I looked into these. The biggest drawback to them is most of the weight is transferred to the back of the camper. They even caution against using it to haul a regular golf cart that runs on batteries. They recommend using a gas cart.

Using these you are at risk of taking off too much pin weight.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 07:45 PM   #23
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
I looked into these. The biggest drawback to them is most of the weight is transferred to the back of the camper. They even caution against using it to haul a regular golf cart that runs on batteries. They recommend using a gas cart.

Using these you are at risk of taking off too much pin weight.

That is not the case in our situation. The vast majority of the weight is over the axle of our Freedom Hauler. The tongue weight is very small. I think we had more tongue weight when our two e-bike rack was in the receiver. I think your observation may be true of the swivel wheel design.
Old 12-13-2019, 08:29 PM   #24
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW Fireguy View Post
That is not the case in our situation. The vast majority of the weight is over the axle of our Freedom Hauler. The tongue weight is very small. I think we had more tongue weight when our two e-bike rack was in the receiver. I think your observation may be true of the swivel wheel design.
Yes the swivel wheel design is what I had found. If you look at the site a fair number of them are swivel wheel. With the wheels in the back and the majority of the weight on the hitch.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 05:54 AM   #25
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
In Ontario Canada you could only tow behind a 5 wheel however that changed a couple years ago and now even double ball hitch can be towed. However as soon as you tow another trailer behind the RV unit you must have an A class license... See lots of them being towed and highly suspect many don't have the Class A license however the police for the most part don't bother them. The MTO (DOT) on the other hand will lay charges if/when they are out and about...
speedster100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 06:27 AM   #26
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
Speedster neither of these products use a ball type connection. Because of that they are not legally trailers but rather extensions of the 5th wheel. I do know from my research that BC does not allow them but Alberta does. I learned this when planning a trip route to Alaska. I had no reason to look at the other provinces.
Old 12-14-2019, 06:46 AM   #27
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
The issue isn't the ball hitch regarding the Class A license but instead is the fact that there is a vehicle combination and one of them falls outside the RV exemption thus putting the entire unit into the weight bracket requiring Commercial Licensing.
Not sure about the particular smart trailer/tote units themselves or how they would be considered. I do know I have seen many 5er's with boats on behind and in the last couple years I've seen conventional ball type trailers with boats & or golf cart trailers behind them and I'm going out on a limb and guessing many don't know they require a higher class license..... The cost if caught is pretty steep as one of my buddies found out when pulled over with 4 ATV's behind his 5er.... All said and done it cost him about 3 grand in fines, had to drop the ATV trailer where it was and have a buddy come get it... Had he upgrade his license he would have been fine..... Just offering up the info as food for thought before people start thinking they can just hook up and go. The regs are not clear....... For myself I have a Class ACZ Ontario license, I have paid to add more weight on my 3500hd SRW truck so I can hook up heavier trailers to haul around my backhoe and related and if necessary a small dump trailer behind that and know that I am legal without worry of fines.... The yearly safety certificates for the trailers & truck are a pain in the arse but a necessary expense that the government keeps raising prices on....
speedster100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 10:57 AM   #28
rmthelen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12748
Send a message via MSN to rmthelen
Quote:
Originally Posted by StageCoachDriver View Post
I believe Florida is one of the states where it is illegal.
About 2 years ago, Florida law will allow if you are properly licensed in your state of residence. I believe this went into effect in January of 2017.
rmthelen is offline   Reply With Quote