Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2018, 08:41 AM   #1
Mel B.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19469
No heat in bedroom

Well not much heat coming out of the bedroom register. Down in the living room it's blasting hot air out. I have no leaks in the duct that is visible in the cargo area. Is their away to check the rest of the duct without removing the coroblast on the bottom? Maybe under the stairs? It's the model in my signature.

Old 10-16-2018, 09:14 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
You shouldn't find anything by going underneath. What you need to do is take the wall out of the basement. Not a big deal just some screws and then you should be able to get in there and see what is happening with the duct work. Usually, it's coming off the connection to the furnace itself.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 04:32 PM   #3
Mel B.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19469
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
You shouldn't find anything by going underneath. What you need to do is take the wall out of the basement. Not a big deal just some screws and then you should be able to get in there and see what is happening with the duct work. Usually, it's coming off the connection to the furnace itself.
I just took the grate off the furnace, it's right under the refrigerator. I turned on the heater. Their was so much hot air blowing out of the metal furnace enclosure. Their are 6 "Knockouts" for additional ducts? Only one out of the six has a duct connected to it, it's a 2" flex hose that appears to go down in the under belly. 3 of the other knock outs were loose with a lot of hot air blowing out right under the fridge. I got them all tight and sealed them with Flex Seal. Then the furnace pushes the heat to the door that I removed, it appears that when the air hits the door it's forced down into a duct that leads under the floor to the registers. When I reinstalled the door and turned the furnace on hot air was blowing out the door seams, so I sealed all the way around the door. Now their are no leaks around the furnace. It made the 2 registers down stairs blow even harder then before. The bedroom heat was increased slightly but not even close to the down stairs. Before I can start removing wall in the basement, I have to remove all our CRAP we have in their.
Old 10-17-2018, 11:48 AM   #4
ps146364
Established Member

M.O.C. #14615
I didn't have any heat to my bedroom either until I reconnected the heat duct that supplies the bedroom to the furnace.
ps146364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 09:28 AM   #5
Bigrig
Established Member

M.O.C. #21926
I have just the opposite, most of the heat goes upstairs and cooks you out of there. Can I divert without to much trouble, heat to downstairs instead of the bedroom?
Monty 3811MS
Bigrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 04:49 PM   #6
h2ojocky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13025
I have the same unit and my 2 hardest blowing are the bedroom and near back window. I think because they are at the end of the line and the pressure builds up there. I would bet that the duct came off
h2ojocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 08:32 PM   #7
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Mel, it would be my guess that you have several two inch ducts leading from the furnace to the main duct in the floor off OR have several that have not been hooked up at all and will possibly find them laying on the floor when you remove that back wall in the basement. I took mine off several months ago and found one of the ducts had come loose from the furnace and one was misdirected. The misdirected one was the duct that just goes along the floor and was suppose to go down between the black tank and gray tank to put some heat into the belly. I redirected it into the belly and also took a PVC "Y" and cut the duct going to the bathroom and connected one side of the Y to the balance of the bathroom duct and added another 2" duct to the other end of the Y and directed it and secured it to the area behind the convenient center to put some heat there to keep the pipes from possibly freezing IF the temps drop to much. This also throws heat into the void area behind the basement wall and also into the belly for the water lines. SO FAR it has worked for us but if we do get warnings of any freezing temps overnight we always make sure there is adequate water in the fresh water tank, unhook and coil the fresh water hose and run off the tank for that night or more. We normally do not get into really cold temps while in AZ but we have had a few nights that the water line had froze because we did not unhook it. Learned from those experiences for sure. Just got lucky and the total water lines did not freeze.
Rondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 08:49 AM   #8
Kyle and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel B. View Post
Well not much heat coming out of the bedroom register. Down in the living room it's blasting hot air out. I have no leaks in the duct that is visible in the cargo area. Is their away to check the rest of the duct without removing the coroblast on the bottom? Maybe under the stairs? It's the model in my signature.
We had the same issue, the duct line next to the basement wall where the wall pushed up against it was torn open, repaired duct and had plenty of heat/air flow.
Kyle and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 09:42 AM   #9
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
we have a 2007 3000RK and the number of mis-aligned/ disconnected hoses coming off the heater were enough to make one wonder if the person who connects them was out for the day our rig went down the assembly line and they just completed it without that person. As others have said, not hard to get to and easier if you bring the thermal tape/flex seal with you when you climb up on the basement than having to look, see the issues and come back out for the tape.....you WILL need some.
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 09:59 AM   #10
woodman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12256
Bedroom heat

We had a similar problem. Had to remove basement walls to access, but discovered that the aluminum duct hose had come loose from the ductwork. I fabricated a plenum, out of aluminum sheet metal, then secured it with some rigid metal straps anchored to the the aluminum floor joists. Labor intensive and difficult to access, but now it's better built and permanent. Given the constant bouncing you get while traveling, the system was designed and built to fail. It's not just Montana's either, there are plenty other companies that build with speed and not integrity.
woodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 07:47 PM   #11
CanalesPac
Established Member

M.O.C. #21018
I'm looking at this thread because we're seeing lower flow and lower temperatures to the den floor register and the front bedroom wall register than we see at the living room floor register and the bathroom floor register. I'm not excited to see the part about torn duct hose....but it may also be our reality. Is the hose any different in the 2018 high country models? We have a 2018 362RD (delivered to dealership winter/spring 2018).
CanalesPac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 08:06 PM   #12
CanalesPac
Established Member

M.O.C. #21018
Also, to tag onto the above post, should we remove the underbelly to access the ducting to the back den floor register? Is there anything we should do first - even if it's just a short-term solution? Back den is running in the low 60's while the main living area is 73. Thanks in advance.
CanalesPac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 08:07 AM   #13
Dsull
Established Member

M.O.C. #23083
I've got a 2000 2850RK Monty and I have almost no heat in bedroom. I tried pulling the cover in front of the furnace, but can't see any duct connections. Is this one I need to pull the front panel in the basement, and if so is there any info/pics on how to do this?
Dsull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 10:09 AM   #14
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Denton-- First of all you have to empty your basement to get access to the area that is under the bathroom area(this is assuming that your bath is up the steps and before going into the bedroom and assuming your furnace is under there and not under your refrigerator). You will find the normal screws they use for any rv and remove them which will loosen the fiberboard wall. Remove the wall and you will find the support bracing running from the bedroom/bathroom floor down to the basement floor. You should be able to see your furnace from this and the ducting coming from the furnace. If there are any of the ducts torn, loose or nonexistent coming from the furnace that is the problem. You can add ducting and repair it with the metal duct tape. There should be one going to the belly section, one and possibly two going to the main duct that runs under the floor both front and back and possibly one that runs to the toilet area(this is in some models but not all). I don't think you have a convenient center on a 2000 so I won't get into that for disassembly there. Let us know what you find.
Old 12-21-2018, 12:12 PM   #15
Dsull
Established Member

M.O.C. #23083
Furnace is under the fridge is there a different place to find where the duct ties into the rest for the bedroom?
Dsull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 10:23 PM   #16
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Denton-- I would still suggest removing the wall from the basement area and checking to see if there are any ducts that have come loose or are torn. I'm not sure just how the ducts run off the furnace since it is under the frig but I'm sure you can see the furnace by pulling that rear wall. I'm not a small guy and I was able to turn sideways and make it through the metal studs to be able to reach everything to fix ours. I did split one of the ducts by adding a PVC "Y" to the duct that is headed to the toilet room floor vent. I took and added another duct from the "Y" and directed it and secured it so it would blow warm air into the back of the convenient center to put some heat into the water pump area and incoming water line. I don't think you have the convenient center but you could see where the water pump is and where the incoming water line enters the unit and put some heat there if needed also.
Old 12-12-2019, 04:09 AM   #17
RBuffordTJ
Established Member

M.O.C. #25467
This has been a very helpful thread! I am experiencing the same problem in my 2002. Time to go under the floor it seems.
RBuffordTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 12:42 PM   #18
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
To add heat in the bedroom I find that flowers and chocolate helps
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 12:51 PM   #19
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
My old 2005 2980 and my current 2013 Mountaineer both have registers right by the edge of the bed. When the heat comes on, I get roasted in the BR. I closed off half the register by just removing it and using tin foil or something like that to cover it before reinstalling. It helped but still to hot so now it is covered around 75-80%. Not quite so bad, but still gets warm enough to wake us up in the night from getting too warm. I looked around under the BR by removing the wall in the basement as others have done, and had a vent hose going straight to the BR and the bathroom as well as the LR area.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 02:53 PM   #20
RBuffordTJ
Established Member

M.O.C. #25467
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
To add heat in the bedroom I find that flowers and chocolate helps
Now that is good advice!