Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 12-04-2019, 09:33 PM   #41
barryn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13517
We use the level up system on manual mode, 6x6 blocks and battery impact wrench with Blue lights from 911 Police car, "If needed" Good people you can count on and they don't take hours to get to you either. I have triangles as well and caution lights. First flat we had could not get bottle jack under axle of RV so had to go with level up manual mode. Going to Buy a air bag jack for truck. looks like a flat rubber pillow an can lift up to 3-6 tons. I have a small 6 gal $99 air compressor on board with a honda gen. 2000. 50ft retractable air hose. Truck is not a Big Butt "Dually" my money could not get one at the time, but I got what I needed to get the job done. I know this one, Not so smart person or should I say "No one told him that he could not do that" and he used the level up to pick his truck up and broke his RV frame all to hell.
S!#t was to funny, He's selling that RV really quick.

barryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 09:44 PM   #42
whutfles
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17319
We've had 4 tire issues on our Montana which required a roadside change. I started with a 10T Craftsman bottle jack, a bunch of short 10" lengths of 2 X 10's, a breaker bar and a torque wrench. The first tire I changed I had the jack on about 6 2 X 10's, jacked it up as high as it would go and it wasn't high enough. Had to use all of the blocks I had along with some of my leveling boards to drop the RV back down on so I could block the jack higher and jack again. So I bought a 2nd 10T Craftsman bottle jack so that I could just set the 2nd jack on higher blocks and continue jacking. You have to remember that when the tire is flat, the RV is going to be sitting lower and your jack will have to jack farther than if both tires were aired up. I have since bought the tear drop that you can put under the good tire and back or drive onto to help raise the RV some before jacking. A friend suggested I check the oil level in my jacks and they were a little low.

The lug nuts on my dually 3500 are long and they turn hard all the way on and off. So I carry a Craftsman cordless torque wrench also. It looks just like an impact wrench. I break the nut with a breaker bar and then use the cordless. I'll put the nut on with the cordless and finish with the manual torque wrench. And if you happen to have a torque wrench with a digital readout, make sure you have extra batteries for it.

I carry a 3 foot x 5 foot old rubber backed rug my wife was going to discard to lay on under the RV. It comes in handy in the mud and sand burs.

I also carry one of those colorful vests to wear while monkeying around under the RV, not that the traffic will move over or slow down, but maybe they'll see what they are htiting.

We also have Good Sam Ins but as long as I can, I'd rather change my own tires.
whutfles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 04:36 AM   #43
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
I’m with Linnwood, a phone is all I plan to use. I do have a 4 way and torque wrench. I have a few blocks in case the levelers would go out of stroke. I’m old with a bad back and legs, I don’t even want to think about getting the spare out from under the Montana
Someone said on another thread to drop the spare and then just pull ahead about 5 feet. I found it to be a revelation.

I could use the level up, breaker, cheater and torque wrench if I need to but prefer the phone.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 06:33 AM   #44
barryn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13517
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNJim B View Post
Someone said on another thread to drop the spare and then just pull ahead about 5 feet. I found it to be a revelation.

I could use the level up, breaker, cheater and torque wrench if I need to but prefer the phone.
I agree But I have also found that the longer you sit beside the interstate waiting, everybody to include truckers are using their phone at 70mph as well. The odds of a deadly crash goes up. I'm just saying. Be safe and Happy Travels
barryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 07:26 AM   #45
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryn View Post
I agree But I have also found that the longer you sit beside the interstate waiting, everybody to include truckers are using their phone at 70mph as well. The odds of a deadly crash goes up. I'm just saying. Be safe and Happy Travels
A valid point. I have only had two occasions to use roadside for a flat and both times I was back on the road within an hour. I was able to wait safely away from the vehicle and let the service tech work on the shoulder close to traffic. I figure I could at most have saved only a half hour exposing himself to heavy semi passers-by. On I-20 East of Atlanta it was heavy enough the trucks couldn't move over and the tire was on the drivers side. Thanks but I'll pay someone else to do that trick, and believe me I gave him a nice tip. The other occasion was in VA at the junctions of I95 and I85, even heavier traffic but on the passenger side at least. Like I said though, if necessary I have the tools to do it...just not the back or knees.

Old 12-05-2019, 07:43 AM   #46
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
More tools than you can imagine, socket sets (2) Imperial & Metric, full screw driver sets, circular saw, cut off saw, torque wrench, impact wrench, compressor, air nailer, hole saw kit, power grease gun, plumbing wrench's & pliers, tubing cutters, electrical connectors & tools, multimeter, dremel, etc etc etc..... BTW I use the level up to change tires and have used just about every tool on board at one time or other over the years either on our unit or someone elses.... Can't stand being on side of the road helpless relying on someone I don't know to maybe show up and assist... Also have an on board portable computer for the tow unit to trouble shoot codes and reset if necessary to get to a repair shop/parts store.....
speedster100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 07:49 AM   #47
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster100 View Post
More tools than you can imagine, socket sets (2) Imperial & Metric, full screw driver sets, circular saw, cut off saw, torque wrench, impact wrench, compressor, air nailer, hole saw kit, power grease gun, plumbing wrench's & pliers, tubing cutters, electrical connectors & tools, multimeter, dremel, etc etc etc..... BTW I use the level up to change tires and have used just about every tool on board at one time or other over the years either on our unit or someone elses.... Can't stand being on side of the road helpless relying on someone I don't know to maybe show up and assist... Also have an on board portable computer for the tow unit to trouble shoot codes and reset if necessary to get to a repair shop/parts store.....
Galleeee, must have been and Eagle Scout.

Old 12-05-2019, 11:53 AM   #48
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Curiosit question ---

I have to ask - wht do some folks seem to have tire problems? Bad karma? I've towed probably in the neighborhood of 125,000 miles around the US and Canad and have had two flats, both valve stems - one was a loose core, the other broke off and neither were while on the road. While we don't boondock, we don't always travel the best roads either. The truck spare, this as well as the last, never have been used in 215,000 miles
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 03:27 PM   #49
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
Curiosit question ---

I have to ask - wht do some folks seem to have tire problems? Bad karma? I've towed probably in the neighborhood of 125,000 miles around the US and Canad and have had two flats, both valve stems - one was a loose core, the other broke off and neither were while on the road. While we don't boondock, we don't always travel the best roads either. The truck spare, this as well as the last, never have been used in 215,000 miles
In my case both times I was reading the tire which said 65 lbs. as the max. The second guy that changed in VA told me I should run min of 80lbs. Both blowouts came on different legs of the same trip after the rig sat in one spot for nearly a year thru the summer in GA. I blamed it on a combination of operator ignorance and rubber fatigue. Tires were in their fifth year at the time, but showed almost no tread wear. Shortly after I traded that rig for our current Monty with G grade. I run at 110 minimum and now also have a TPMS. I watch them go up to nearly 130 sometimes on the road and don't worry unless one is below 110 then I go into action.

Old 12-07-2019, 09:43 AM   #50
Mr Mustang
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25265
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
I fabbed a jack saddle also. Like said, you need to measure in-between the axle U-Bolts because most every rig has a different space between them. You really don't need killer equipment here (12T jack) unless as stated ... the price was right at the time. I stated years ago about using a load cell atop my bottle jack and seeing just what I'm picking up when I raise a tire about 1/2" off the ground. For my 3150, it's around 2500#. You have to remember, you're not picking up the whole fiver, just one end of an axle. With that in mind, my saddle is made out of 1.5" angle .25" thick welded on top of a 1.75" thick walled pipe. The inner ID just happened to fit my bottle jack. Works good, will last a long time, and is coded black for easy identification . With the invent of Level Up ... this chore has gotten alot easier. For those that insist on jacking up the frame and piling cribbing ... you're sure making this hard on yourself and your fiver. For those who rely on a roadside asssitance membership ... I may loose my health at some point, but for now, I don't have the patience to sit along the side of the road for an hour or better when I can have the spare on and on my way in less than 20 minutes.

I'm just wondering does your Jack saddle go under the axel? If so no worries about any damage to said axel?
Mr Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 04:03 PM   #51
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
I used to carry a Milwaukee cordless impact wrench, but took it out because it takes up so much room and I figured if I ever needed it, the batter would be dead.

I carry more stuff the get the miserable rear hub caps off than what I need to change the tire.
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 04:48 PM   #52
Mr Pachu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17922
I carry more stuff the get the miserable rear hub caps off than what I need to change the tire.[/QUOTE]

What kind of stuff do you carry to get those miserable rear hub caps off? They sure are a pain.
Mr Pachu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 08:23 PM   #53
Gunny B
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23153
For the fun of it I tried taking one lug nut off the rear of my F350 and my brand new HF electric impact gun with 1050 breakaway torque and it didn't budge. Pulled out my 18 inch breaker bar and a 4 foot steel pipe and it still didn't budge. I'm thinking if I get a flat on my truck I'll need some semi truck tire guy to come out and use a one inch impact on it. Was thinking of standing on it but I'll wait until the spring to give it a try.
Gunny B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 08:29 PM   #54
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Friday I’m scheduled for 1st oil change on my 2019 dually. I’ll have the tires rotated. Doubt the dealership will tighten them like that.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 11:29 PM   #55
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Pachu View Post
I carry more stuff the get the miserable rear hub caps off than what I need to change the tire.
What kind of stuff do you carry to get those miserable rear hub caps off? They sure are a pain.[/QUOTE]

I tried about everything; spent 3 hours the first time I tried to take one off. I found this method and it worked the best:

I carry a 2x4, ratchet strap, a couple of hooks with handles I made. If all else fails, a big hammer to smash it to pieces.
Old 12-10-2019, 05:02 AM   #56
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
LOL it comes right off
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 06:48 AM   #57
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
I would just get my army surplus slide hammer puller out - that cap would pop right off. I use mine mostly now to pull hub seals, but it has seem much use over the 40 years I've owned it:

Old 12-11-2019, 09:41 AM   #58
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
I would just get my army surplus slide hammer puller out - that cap would pop right off. I use mine mostly now to pull hub seals, but it has seem much use over the 40 years I've owned it:
I might have to get one of those. Do you carry it on the road?
Old 12-12-2019, 05:21 AM   #59
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottz View Post
I might have to get one of those. Do you carry it on the road?

I don't have a dually but probably would if I had one. Mine doesn't even have a name but, being 50+ years old and US Army surplus, have to 'assume' iti s a good US brand and it is tough.
Old 12-12-2019, 07:08 AM   #60
packnrat
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21805
i am lucky. almost no flats in my personal trucks trailers.
but as a class A driver. no tools on board. and yes even in the city on a major hwy i have had to wait over 6 hrs for a flat repair to arrive.
i am now 60, with a bad back. and for my needs will always carry tools to change out a tire. but then in my life it is far better to be self reliant than have to depend on another.
as one never knows who will get the call to change out your tire. most are good. and some, lets just say he might have a “friend” arrive first.
yes has happened to a couple drivers i have known. not often, but does happen.
packnrat is offline   Reply With Quote