Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-07-2019, 07:12 AM   #1
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
Can This Damage the Converter?

I tried asking this in the Additions & Improvements but failed to get an answer. I even sent Progressive Dynamics a request that is still unanswered. If I have shore power hooked up and I completely disconnect the battery bank, how will the converter charging circuit react? Will there be any chance of damage to it while trying to charge the non existent batteries? What wire (s) will be 12vdc hot out in the battery compartment? Inquiring minds want to know

Old 12-07-2019, 08:00 AM   #2
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
turning off the battery disconnect in the inconvenience center, disconnects the batteries from the converter.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 08:04 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Not only will you get no charge to the batteries but you will continue to drain them since things like the propane detector will still be live and drawing 12v. Eventually nothing 12v will work including lights, HVAC, frig, and anything else that uses 12v even if just for it's controls.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 08:20 AM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Good info above, but neither addressed your question of what the converter will do. And I am not sure either. But I think the converter will continue to supply power to all your 12 volt devices such as lights, refrigerator, etc. even though the battery is disconnected. I don't think it will harm it. It will just continue to supply what ever current load is on it at the time. An easy test would be to throw the disconnect switch and see if any 12 volt devices still work.

But getting a real answer from Progressive is the best bet.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 08:29 AM   #5
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
I recently sent an email to tech services at progressive on my new pt50 Ems being really hard to insert rv power cord into it or remove once mated. I have received no reply as well. My guess is that since they were bought out, the overall customer service has changed.
Old 12-07-2019, 08:32 AM   #6
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
Good info above, but neither addressed your question of what the converter will do. And I am not sure either. But I think the converter will continue to supply power to all your 12 volt devices such as lights, refrigerator, etc. even though the battery is disconnected. I don't think it will harm it. It will just continue to supply what ever current load is on it at the time. But getting a real answer from Progressive is the best bet.
The battery disconnect in the inconvenience center isolates the batteries from the converter. Why would disconnecting the batteries fromthe converter somewhere else damage it?
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 08:46 AM   #7
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I posted this in one of your other threads when I meant to post it here.

I don't know your model number, but the manual for the PD4500 model has the following statement concerning battery or not.

The INTELI-POWER series of converters are primarily designed for use with a battery, however, the output of the INTELI-POWER converters are a regulated, filtered DC voltage that can power sensitive electronics without the need for a battery or other filtering.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 09:10 AM   #8
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
Quote:
I posted this in one of your other threads when I meant to post it here.

I don't know your model number, but the manual for the PD4500 model has the following statement concerning battery or not.

The INTELI-POWER series of converters are primarily designed for use with a battery, however, the output of the INTELI-POWER converters are a regulated, filtered DC voltage that can power sensitive electronics without the need for a battery or other filtering.
Appreciate that. I had looked over the manual (both languages) and missed that. I'll need to probe around to find out which wires in the battery compartment remain hot with the convenience switch left on but batteries out. So what I'm understanding is that if that switch is off (key out), things in the unit (12vdc things) will continue to operate if on shore power through the converter? Mine is the PD4575, so 75amps out @13.6vdc.
Old 12-07-2019, 09:12 AM   #9
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
The battery disconnect in the inconvenience center isolates the batteries from the converter. Why would disconnecting the batteries fromthe converter somewhere else damage it?
Good thinking... Sometimes I get so wrapped in the details, I forget the obvious
Old 12-07-2019, 09:28 AM   #10
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
My rig did not come with a battery disconnect so I installed one in line going from batteries to the converter/distribution panel near that unit. I also installed 300 watt solar setup. Slide hydraulic pump is connected directly to batteries, so it is always connected to 12 volts.

When I am plugged into shore power or unit is in storage, disconnect switch is
turned off isolating batteries. I let solar charge controller do its thing to keep batteries charged.

I've never had any converter issues without battery connected. It just powers 12 volt side with no issues. Didn't make sense to have both solar and converter charging batteries simultaneously. I believe solar charge controller and converter sense battery voltage and adjust their output accordingly.

Been doing this for years without any detrimental effect to converter.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 09:43 PM   #11
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
Quote:
Good info above, but neither addressed your question of what the converter will do. And I am not sure either. But I think the converter will continue to supply power to all your 12 volt devices such as lights, refrigerator, etc. even though the battery is disconnected. I don't think it will harm it. It will just continue to supply what ever current load is on it at the time. An easy test would be to throw the disconnect switch and see if any 12 volt devices still work.

But getting a real answer from Progressive is the best bet.
I agree - I think that comment was made during the Rally this year
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 10:11 PM   #12
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
The PD converter and charger perform two different functions but are singular or integrated manufactured component. AC from shore power will continue to feed dc loads from rectified AC current supplied by shore power. If the stock battery disconnect is off the same recitifed dc voltage will be on the load side of the convenience center disconnect, sitting there happy as a clam. The battery will not charge. The battery will continue to feed the small loads that are connected to the battery ahead of the convenience center disconnect. In short the converter will not care if the battery is disonnected and it will not be damaged.
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 02:17 PM   #13
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Food for thought gleaned from experienced and also dependable RV techs. A converter will supply 12V DC power to your rig in absence of a battery ... but think of your battery as the muscle of your 12V DC power and the converter as what is mainly manufactured to keep that muscle at it's peak. Other than using the converter minus a battery for light loads ... using it for heavy loads as in slide or level-up operation just shortens its lifespan over time. Will a converter without a battery run the slides ... yes, but why make it squeal like a pig? Some say that carting the battery in and out of the RV is hard say at the storage lot ... I think that's where a hearty bowl of "Wheaties" comes in to play. As for a true battery disconnect in place of the OEM disconnect ... lots of us have put a manual disconnect on the negative terminal of the house batteries whether it be a pricey marine disconnect or simply a battery terminal that has a thumb screw to separate the two halves.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 03:18 PM   #14
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
In our rig the battery is required to operate the slides and in looking at Pressive Dynamics PD4000 series spec sheet I don’t think the converter is rated to operate the slide hydraulics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01EC076C-AA79-4EFA-BE44-61212ECE0A45.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	5206  
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 04:04 PM   #15
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
PNW ... I fully agree with what your sticker says. What I was trying to suppress is the few that will chime in saying they have worked their slides at the storage facility without a battery with the excuse it's just too hard to drag in and out the front bay. My neighbor is the worst at using his converter as a battery. I've given up talking to him about it as will his converter at some point.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 03:29 PM   #16
Roaming in Wyoming

M.O.C. #25893
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterdrago View Post
Appreciate that. I had looked over the manual (both languages) and missed that. I'll need to probe around to find out which wires in the battery compartment remain hot with the convenience switch left on but batteries out. So what I'm understanding is that if that switch is off (key out), things in the unit (12vdc things) will continue to operate if on shore power through the converter? Mine is the PD4575, so 75amps out @13.6vdc.
For clarity, from the perspective of an electronics engineer, the "converter" is essentially a regulated DC power supply. Its output regulation is designed to hold the output voltage within an acceptable range for 12 volt DC user loads. The RV batteries are really just another load, and like the other loads may be disconnected without harming the converter. (Assuming the lead which supplies the voltage to the battery for charging, is not inadvertently grounded, that is important!) Obviously, like all regulated DC power supplies, an excessive load will pull down the converter output, if the combined load current exceeds the power supply rating. When this occurs, components in the converter supply can become very hot if not internally protected. High heat is one factor that can shorten the life of electronic components. If the slideouts or Jack's use less current than the converter rating, then such operation is acceptable if there is sufficient margin. But, avoid running right at the maximum rating, commercial specs can be optimistic. A 25 to 40% margin is likely advisable.
Roaming in Wyoming is offline   Reply With Quote