Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2019, 01:28 PM   #21
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
I for one don't care what's behind me?? On each side yes.

Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 02:54 PM   #22
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemoore View Post
I for one don't care what's behind me?? On each side yes.
LOL.

Have you ever backed a 42' fifth wheel into a 42'6" hole with about 12" on each side? I WANT to know what's behind me, or how close I am to the back wall.
CADman_KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 10:23 AM   #23
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Purchased the 56 chnv from rvcams.com in 2006 still using it on our 2013 402 Big Sky. It has been trouble free and we would not leave hone without it.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 11:06 AM   #24
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
I put together my own system from Amazon. Got 7 inch monitor that clipped onto rearview mirror, camera that attached to back side of Montana, and a wireless transmitter and receiver. Total investment around $110.

For the most part, it worked ok. But video world sometimes lose the signal. I found that video loss happened mainly when on congested city freeways. Suspected that all of the other vehicles with wireless video were interfering with mine. Also, the TPMS system on my rig could also possibly interfere since they operate on the same frequency.

We were parked at an RV park when I was approached by the manager ask if I hade a live video camera operating. My back neighbor was seeing his approach on his video screen. Picked up my signal when he got close.

I now hardwired my video sistering an rca connector onto my trailer connector. No more interference or random appearing on neighbors monitor.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 09:02 AM   #25
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADman_KS View Post
LOL.

Have you ever backed a 42' fifth wheel into a 42'6" hole with about 12" on each side? I WANT to know what's behind me, or how close I am to the back wall.
Yes I have and that is what the wife dose. If alone I just setup a few markers and back right in. Far too much cost for a once or twice in a lifetime problem. Plus that would never happen as 12” on each side wouldn’t allow for the slides to go out. No reason to be in that spot in the first place.

Just saying is all.
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 09:16 AM   #26
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemoore View Post
.... Plus that would never happen as 12” on each side wouldn’t allow for the slides to go out. No reason to be in that spot in the first place.

Just saying is all.
Not ideal for us either, but fortunately, we only have that issue during the winter when are storing 2 5ers in our shed at the same time. Otherwise we have more room in the side. And yes, during the winter, we can't pay the slide outs out....
Old 11-06-2019, 02:03 PM   #27
laverdur
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11972
The newest line of cameras from Furrion are excellent. I just bought a single camera system on Amazon with the 7" monitor. So much better than my older Furrion with the 4.3" monitor and the camera resolution is excellent.

Furrion Vision S 7 Inch Wireless RV Backup System with 1 Rear Sharkfin Camera, Infrared Night Vision and Wide Viewing Angle - FOS07TASF
Old 11-06-2019, 03:49 PM   #28
Juled0822

M.O.C. #24448
Stay away from Tadi Brothers. Bought the wireless and it is worthless. Customer service sucks too.
Juled0822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 04:18 PM   #29
JRogers
Established Member

M.O.C. #22215
I like my furrion. Got the 7" monitor.
It is expensive, got the side camera's too.
Have only used the system once, so give me a few years to get more accurate opinion.
No sure about the backing in, prefer to have a spotter, but real nice driving.
JRogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 04:21 PM   #30
bsblindab
Established Member

M.O.C. #19010
Quote:
Originally Posted by laverdur View Post
The newest line of cameras from Furrion are excellent. I just bought a single camera system on Amazon with the 7" monitor. So much better than my older Furrion with the 4.3" monitor and the camera resolution is excellent.

Furrion Vision S 7 Inch Wireless RV Backup System with 1 Rear Sharkfin Camera, Infrared Night Vision and Wide Viewing Angle - FOS07TASF
We just brought this unit had a Tadibrothers previously and was worthless. Haven’t had it installed yet but sure do hope it works wonderfully. Hubby is ex tractor trailer driver thankfully so when the Tadibrothers unit decided not to work he was fine. Me on the other hand soazzed. And I wasn’t the one driving
bsblindab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 04:24 PM   #31
bsblindab
Established Member

M.O.C. #19010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juled0822 View Post
Stay away from Tadi Brothers. Bought the wireless and it is worthless. Customer service sucks too.
I fully agree with you. They kept telling me to buy a coaches cable to bring the antennae closer. The something else and something else after that. Finally they told me it was a analog and I needed digital and could sell me a digital antennae and receiver. No thanks. The one thing I did like was the monitor size 7” and it was color
bsblindab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 04:27 PM   #32
kjohn6363
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24081
You might look at Furrion
kjohn6363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 04:42 PM   #33
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:

I have to strongly disagree, I to have the Furrion, it has very substandard resolution at only 720 , that is not high def, whereas many of the screens at 1/3 the cost are 1080P which is a much better resolution. I find the camera wide angles so distorted you cannot trust what you see as it provides no dept perception. It is just ok if you want to know if there are cars behind or beside you but useless for manuvering or lane changing when judging distance is needed.

For as much as Furrion wants I can install a new indash system with higher resolution and better cameras, of for less install a wired system with very high quality video.

I have the legacy Package which includes the Furrion and this is the one feature I was totally disapointed in. Wireless video is cheap technology these days. Had I purchased it seperately I wold have returned it day one, as it is I plan to replace it.

If anyone in interested My Furrion Vision S 5 is for sale Just a few months old $500
lightsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 05:45 PM   #34
McRod
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18363
I have the haloview. Very easy setup. Good picture, recording and voice so you can listen to your spouse tell you to turn the wheel left when she means right. Can monitor 4 cams if needed at same time. I only have the rearview, no side cams.
McRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 06:07 PM   #35
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Although I respect everyone's opinion, I will continue (forever) to do it the old school way. Get out and look for myself (numerus times if necessary). Not that I do not trust anyone, but years ago, my wife and my 4 kids let me get into a situation where my awning was up against a tree when I instructed all of then to let me know when I was closer than 2 feet from hitting anything. Apparently know one looked up. LOL.

There is no way cameras (know matter how many) are going to see everything. IMHO its just not practical or possible.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 07:34 PM   #36
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
... Not that I do not trust anyone, but years ago, my wife and my 4 kids let me get into a situation where my awning was up against a tree when I instructed all of then to let me know when I was closer than 2 feet from hitting anything. Apparently know one looked up. LOL.

I was laughing when I read this, because I too have been in that very situation.

You know, the one where you hear your wife yell STOP!, and you think to yourself, I stopped 2 seconds ago when everything stopped moving, because whatever it is that I hit is pretty solid...
Old 11-07-2019, 07:09 AM   #37
DmaxDually
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14092
Quote:

I did a lot of research before I made my decision on which system to buy. I finally installed the Furrion observation system on my RV several months ago. I bought the 7" monitor, 2 side marker light cameras and 2 shark fin rear cameras. As it was previously mentioned the system isn't cheap. In my case price wasn't the deciding factor on which system to buy. Features, quality and customer support was. Furrion is a major electronics manufacture who designs and produces their own products so they know how their products work. Before I made my purchase I called Furrion several times with questions about their system. The tech support rep had no problem answering my question, they knew the system and how it worked without having to put me on hold or fumbling though paper work to guess.
OK, back to the system. When installing my system I didn't wire it into the marker lights for power because I didn't want to have my marker light on all the time. Plus the main reason was I wanted to use my camera system as a security camera system when parked at my camp site. So I wired it into my RV's 12v system and installed a lighted on/off switch in my control panel so I can use the system anytime I want and not having to be hooked up to my TV with the marker lights on.
The system works great and the quality of the picture on the 7" screen is great. It is smooth and not jerky or choppy. The rear camera also has a microphone that you can turn on and off so you can hear your guide person when backing in and you don't have to use a cell phone or walkie talkie.
When parked at my campsite the system is now my security camera system (no it does not record but maybe in the future per Furrion). I have the cameras on all the time and I have all cameras displayed on the screen at the same time.
FYI: the latest display screen software doesn't allow for multi camera view all the time. I called Furrion and they swapped out my display for one with the old software that allowed me to do it.
The cameras have motion sensors on them ( which you can turn on or off). I purchased 4 cameras but only installed 3 at this time. I'm trying to decide where to install the 4 the camera. My side marker light camera catches my door area do I don't need it above my door. I'm thinking about installing it some where on my front cap or hitch so I will have 360 deg view all around my campsite when parked.
I am very satisfied with the system and it works great for me.
Old 11-07-2019, 07:43 AM   #38
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Very interesting take, DMax.
I too was interested in using them as security cameras. I read about a hack where you put a 15 amp fuse in your 7 pin connector to power the clearance lights when not connected to the TV.
Haven't had a chance to try it yet, but I think I like your idea of separate wiring better anyway.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 03:26 PM   #39
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
We don't have, and have never had cameras at any of the places we have lived. If I thought they were needed, we would move to a safer place. Same with the RV. If we need cameras to feel safe, we are out of there.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 09:42 PM   #40
DmaxDually
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14092
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
We don't have, and have never had cameras at any of the places we have lived. If I thought they were needed, we would move to a safer place. Same with the RV. If we need cameras to feel safe, we are out of there.
So why do you have a fire extinguisher, smoke detectors and Co2 detectors in your house and RV?? Do you need them to feel safe? If so you should be out of there.
I don't have cameras to make me feel safe. I have Colt, Smith & Wesson and Remington for that. Since I spent the money and time installing the cameras I wanted to get more use out of them than just when I'm driving. They are there so I wanted to use them. So that's why I wired them to be on when camping..not to feel safe. I like that I can look at my display and see what going on outside.