Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Let Us Entertain You
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2019, 02:55 PM   #1
rickbecker
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13543
DISH Wally question

I began having trouble with Wally receiver staying locked on satellites with Winegard antenna. Called DISH and after a couple of hours on the phone I had made it to 2nd level support where they told me my software was out of date. We worked with the unit trying to get the update done - even moved it into the house and connected it to the my house fixed antenna - the software update would start but then fail at about 50% completion.

Ended up with him telling me I have to get the Wally to a Camping World facility where they will upgrade the software for me. He said it is a known problem.

Anyone else run into this?? Camping World is not exactly handy for me.

rickbecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 02:11 AM   #2
Sparatacus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24110
I didn't have that problem but I will keep trying to update if you can. Now where you might run into problem is trying to use it inside your fiver, the coax cable inside is always a big problem now that is the problem I'm having trying to get it to work inside my fiver.

I can get it to work in the BR but trying to get it to work inside the LR is a problem. I told the dealer about it but they they me to bring it in and they will check it out which I am going to do. Good luck.
Sparatacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 02:40 PM   #3
rickbecker
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13543
Here is what I ended up doing after several hours of internet research:

Dish had "updated" the software on Wally and rendered them useless for portable dish use without additional software upgrade that - wait for it - the Wally will not complete on a portable dish. Gotcha! The tech told me to take the Wallys to Camping World where they could do the update for you. Well if you have a CW close, OK they will do it for minimum bench charge of $74 for 30 minutes. As I am not handy to CW, the tech agreed to send me 2 z211 units at no charge. They both work fine, but are older technology (ie larger, not so friendly interface, generate a ton of heat and will not work with a hard drive that is powered from the USB port).
p { margin-bottom: 0.1in; line-height: 120%; }First

On your Wally, check the software version being run - if it is U801. your Wally has been smacked. If it is some older version like U449, then it will probably continue to work until it decides to upgrade on its own. You need software version U802 to again work with a portable dish. To get it to load, you need to hook the Wally to a fixed dish (Dish dealer, Camping World) or what I did was use my home dish that is cabled to a Hopper normally. Tune the Wally to channel 110 as that channel is on Sat 119 where the software loads come from. Get the Wally into stand by mode with a single push of the power button on the front of the Wally. You should be looking at the screen saver that tells you to push any button to watch tv. Now go away and leave it untouched for at least an hour. If the satellite gods are with you, you should see software version U802 and the Wally will again work with a portable dish.

rickbecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 02:52 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Same thing happened to me with the same result. Free older model receivers. The difference is I wanted those recievers but was too cheap to pay for them. Over the years, at times, when I would move the Wally would become a pain in the ass, and sometimes, the tech would tell me they hated Walley's and I would be far better with this older model. The 211 has two problems that are not problems for me. First they won't work with a usb powered hard drive, I already owned two ac powered hard drives so it wasn't an issue for me. If you don't already have them they are hard to find although Dish will seel you one for $100. Second they don't support the internet so if you watched Netflix on Dish you can't now. We use a Fire Stick so that wasn't an issue for us either.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote