Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2018, 10:32 AM   #1
Butchiiii
Established Member

M.O.C. #22836
3791RD Opinions/Experiences

Hi folks,
We are now seriously considering getting the 2018 or 2019 3791RD unit. For those of you who have one now or in the past what is your opinion and experiences with it? How did the layout work for you. It seems to have very good storage much better then the 3731FL unit. All help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks Butch & Joanna

Butchiiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 11:17 AM   #2
jetskier
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22360
I have the 3790 built mid August 2018. I like the option of the RV refer over the residential.

It has tons of accessible storage. The rear sliding tray is great. I can't seem to fill it up! The trailer will be heavy. I'd suggest getting disc brakes. I upgraded after the second trip out.

It has ample headroom. I'm 6'3". I can stand up in both ends of the unit without hitting my head. My oldest son can't. He's 6'9" and has to tilt his head.

The 20th Anniversary kitchen layout is nice with the refer on the front side. The pantry is big, but too deep to organize and not hide things. We ordered the counter top extensions for the island from the similar 31 model. That made a huge difference in counter space.

This weekend, I added the 3rd AC. I moved the original front AC only unit to the kitchen spot and ordered the AC/heat pump model for the ductless system in the bedroom. It works great with two running. It seems to work down to around 32°F. I just did a system check a few minutes ago and it's 32 out and it's heating. We camp a lot in 100+ temps so I figured I'd get the 3rd unit installed sooner than later and see how it works for the cooler fall temps.

The den recliners are usable, but the control buttons are hard to push and get a response.

The factory Jensen stereo is crap. The Jensen only outputs 6W a channel. It's tinny sounding. We tried to watch a movie last trip and it was almost unbearable. I'm in the process of adding a 800W stereo system. Two amps, a 12" sub behind the recliners and four smaller speakers. The amps I installed are 100W per channel.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:57 AM   #3
awheeler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butchiiii View Post
Hi folks,
We are now seriously considering getting the 2018 or 2019 3791RD unit. For those of you who have one now or in the past what is your opinion and experiences with it? How did the layout work for you. It seems to have very good storage much better then the 3731FL unit. All help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks Butch & Joanna

We have the 2017 3791RD and we love it. Almost too much storage underneath as the unit can become too heavy. We added Boos Block butcher block "shelves" on each end of the island (sink) that fold down. This added a great deal of work place for preparing meals. We do not often camp in really cold weather, but we do have two additional small electric fireplace type stoves that do keep the chill off when we are in a cold climate. As far as the air conditioners - no problem as yet. We are both accustom to hot weather and we like the house a bit on the warm side.

As far as the floorplan - we both really like the fact that we can each have our own space. The floorplan is much more like a home with separate rooms. When in the den it feels like a real den and is extremely comfortable. We ARE planning to remove one of the sofas and put in a desk and work station as DW teaches online and really needs an office area.

We also love the residential fridge. It is just one more feature that makes the unit a real home and for us this is our home.

Feel free to ask any questions. We have had a couple of issues - hot water heater was the main one - but nothing that cannot be repaired - at least not yet.
awheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 02:48 PM   #4
Cubbie
Established Member

M.O.C. #20155
We bought our 2018 3791RD last June and love it. We added The stackable washer and dryer. We also added the Onan 5500 propane generator. We are full time. We have the residential refrigerator and love it too. The ice maker is awesome and no more defrosting. Our only complaint is the bathroom door. We plan to replace it with an accordion door. We attended our first MOC Rally in Goshen this September. While there the tech’s replaced our thermostat and interior rope lighting in ceiling. We are on our way now to get disk brakes. We also ordered the snap pads for our jacks.
We are on our way back to Arizona but have put over 8000 miles on this trip. We had no issues with RV parks due to our size. You can’t go wrong with this model.
Cubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 05:16 PM   #5
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
We have had our 2015 3790RD since 2015, first layout we've had in eight 5 wheels that we haven't wanted to change something in the layout. Our 2015 has some things that the newer ones don't such as larger kitchen sink, dirty cloth's hamper, good quality samsung electronics including the stereo & DVD Blueray player etc... Would like the rear pullout tray but otherwise nothing we would change... We did upgrade to G rated tires immediately and they started putting them on at the factory... Love the layout and if we were to get another it would be this layout.
speedster100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 10:14 PM   #6
Brownhansen

M.O.C. #22695
Hey,
We have a 2018 3790RD, we love the layout!! With having the living room upstairs as well as the bedroom, we have an abundance of outside storage. We call it the trunk and storage areas are easy in and easy out. Hard to get used to the main light switches being inside the panel, but we got used to it. Good Luck.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:45 PM   #7
Butchiiii
Established Member

M.O.C. #22836
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskier View Post
I have the 3790 built mid August 2018. I like the option of the RV refer over the residential.

It has tons of accessible storage. The rear sliding tray is great. I can't seem to fill it up! The trailer will be heavy. I'd suggest getting disc brakes. I upgraded after the second trip out.

It has ample headroom. I'm 6'3". I can stand up in both ends of the unit without hitting my head. My oldest son can't. He's 6'9" and has to tilt his head.

The 20th Anniversary kitchen layout is nice with the refer on the front side. The pantry is big, but too deep to organize and not hide things. We ordered the counter top extensions for the island from the similar 31 model. That made a huge difference in counter space.

This weekend, I added the 3rd AC. I moved the original front AC only unit to the kitchen spot and ordered the AC/heat pump model for the ductless system in the bedroom. It works great with two running. It seems to work down to around 32°F. I just did a system check a few minutes ago and it's 32 out and it's heating. We camp a lot in 100+ temps so I figured I'd get the 3rd unit installed sooner than later and see how it works for the cooler fall temps.

The den recliners are usable, but the control buttons are hard to push and get a response.

The factory Jensen stereo is crap. The Jensen only outputs 6W a channel. It's tinny sounding. We tried to watch a movie last trip and it was almost unbearable. I'm in the process of adding a 800W stereo system. Two amps, a 12" sub behind the recliners and four smaller speakers. The amps I installed are 100W per channel.
Jetskier,
Thank you for all of the intel and some of the changes you have made.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:51 PM   #8
Butchiiii
Established Member

M.O.C. #22836
Quote:
Originally Posted by awheeler View Post
We have the 2017 3791RD and we love it. Almost too much storage underneath as the unit can become too heavy. We added Boos Block butcher block "shelves" on each end of the island (sink) that fold down. This added a great deal of work place for preparing meals. We do not often camp in really cold weather, but we do have two additional small electric fireplace type stoves that do keep the chill off when we are in a cold climate. As far as the air conditioners - no problem as yet. We are both accustom to hot weather and we like the house a bit on the warm side.

As far as the floorplan - we both really like the fact that we can each have our own space. The floorplan is much more like a home with separate rooms. When in the den it feels like a real den and is extremely comfortable. We ARE planning to remove one of the sofas and put in a desk and work station as DW teaches online and really needs an office area.

We also love the residential fridge. It is just one more feature that makes the unit a real home and for us this is our home.

Feel free to ask any questions. We have had a couple of issues - hot water heater was the main one - but nothing that cannot be repaired - at least not yet.
I love the idea about taking out one of the sofas for a desk/office area.
That will take some convincing my wife Do you have the rear slideout storage area in your unit? And are you island attachments the same height as the island when extended?
Thanks for your input.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:55 PM   #9
Butchiiii
Established Member

M.O.C. #22836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubbie View Post
We bought our 2018 3791RD last June and love it. We added The stackable washer and dryer. We also added the Onan 5500 propane generator. We are full time. We have the residential refrigerator and love it too. The ice maker is awesome and no more defrosting. Our only complaint is the bathroom door. We plan to replace it with an accordion door. We attended our first MOC Rally in Goshen this September. While there the tech’s replaced our thermostat and interior rope lighting in ceiling. We are on our way now to get disk brakes. We also ordered the snap pads for our jacks.
We are on our way back to Arizona but have put over 8000 miles on this trip. We had no issues with RV parks due to our size. You can’t go wrong with this model.

Good to know that you haven't had an issue with size. Do you find the washer and dryer to be a big plus? Was the thermostat replace because it was bad or because you had a better option? Thank you for your input
Old 10-16-2018, 10:58 PM   #10
Butchiiii
Established Member

M.O.C. #22836
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster100 View Post
We have had our 2015 3790RD since 2015, first layout we've had in eight 5 wheels that we haven't wanted to change something in the layout. Our 2015 has some things that the newer ones don't such as larger kitchen sink, dirty cloth's hamper, good quality samsung electronics including the stereo & DVD Blueray player etc... Would like the rear pullout tray but otherwise nothing we would change... We did upgrade to G rated tires immediately and they started putting them on at the factory... Love the layout and if we were to get another it would be this layout.

I was concerned that we would need to change the tires out right away but them seem to come with the Sailun G rated tires from the factory now.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:27 AM   #11
awheeler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19482
Quote:
I love the idea about taking out one of the sofas for a desk/office area.
That will take some convincing my wife Do you have the rear slideout storage area in your unit? And are you island attachments the same height as the island when extended?
Thanks for your input.
No, ours does not have the pull-out in the rear compartment and I really don't think I would like it anyway because the pull-out drawer structure takes up space that is lost. Yes, the island extensions, when folded into place, are the same height as the island. When folded down they are out of the way. They are also just a dad smaller than the width of the island so they do not interfere with the slides.

We also changed out the tires to Sailuns and added the Tire Pressure Monitoring System, added additional exterior cameras (360), and included the washer/dryer combo.
awheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 09:11 AM   #12
jetskier
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22360
Quote:
Originally Posted by awheeler View Post
No, ours does not have the pull-out in the rear compartment and I really don't think I would like it anyway because the pull-out drawer structure takes up space that is lost.
The nice thing about the rear storage is they utilized the space between the 12" wide flange frame beams. The structure that supports the tray is about 2" off the bottom of the frame not the top. I don't know when the transition happened between the pass-through side storage to the rear, but the sliding tray is only about an 1" or so off the floor of the compartment. It doesn't really eat up much space. The frame for the tray is on the sides, front and rear.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:41 AM   #13
Brucelas
Established Member

M.O.C. #18901
We love our 3791RD.
having said that;
Picked it up June of this year, took it on a 3 week trip. We could see fairly soon the wall between the washer and dryer was bowing out and the wall in the closet was coming apart.
As soon as we got back we made a appointment with camping world of Las Vegas, it took a week to get it in, it took 4 days for them to look at it after that.

They found which I suspected was a crack either in the wall by the bedroom slide or the frame.
The procedure is for camping world to give Keystone a estimate for storage and diagnosis, then get approval for repairs based on what is found.

Long story short, they found cracks in the wall by the bedroom slide, keystone has a set of repair instructions for the dealer to follow to complete the repair. Not until the crack repair is done will they order the wood that needs to be replaced. The order wood panels will take 4 to 6 weeks to come in.

I am now waiting for the wood to come in, then to be installed.

3 weeks of use, 3 months in the shop, 3 months of payments, insurance, and 3 months so far of warranty wasted. And growing.

I asked the dealer it they will give me new batteries, because mine will be completely dead by the time I get the fifer back, they said no.

Odiously we are frustrated, but in the end we are hoping for a better than new fifth wheel that we can enjoy for a long time.

My advise is to keep inspecting your unit for cracks, especially the expansion joint near the bedroom slide.
Old 10-17-2018, 12:46 PM   #14
Butchiiii
Established Member

M.O.C. #22836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelas View Post
We love our 3791RD.
having said that;
Picked it up June of this year, took it on a 3 week trip. We could see fairly soon the wall between the washer and dryer was bowing out and the wall in the closet was coming apart.
As soon as we got back we made a appointment with camping world of Las Vegas, it took a week to get it in, it took 4 days for them to look at it after that.

They found which I suspected was a crack either in the wall by the bedroom slide or the frame.
The procedure is for camping world to give Keystone a estimate for storage and diagnosis, then get approval for repairs based on what is found.

Long story short, they found cracks in the wall by the bedroom slide, keystone has a set of repair instructions for the dealer to follow to complete the repair. Not until the crack repair is done will they order the wood that needs to be replaced. The order wood panels will take 4 to 6 weeks to come in.

I am now waiting for the wood to come in, then to be installed.

3 weeks of use, 3 months in the shop, 3 months of payments, insurance, and 3 months so far of warranty wasted. And growing.

I asked the dealer it they will give me new batteries, because mine will be completely dead by the time I get the fifer back, they said no.

Odiously we are frustrated, but in the end we are hoping for a better than new fifth wheel that we can enjoy for a long time.

My advise is to keep inspecting your unit for cracks, especially the expansion joint near the bedroom slide.

Hi Bruce, is this a common problem with the 3790/3791's? How can one go about inspecting the frame for cracks? Does it affect any on the other slides?
Old 10-17-2018, 12:57 PM   #15
Cubbie
Established Member

M.O.C. #20155
Quote:
Good to know that you haven't had an issue with size. Do you find the washer and dryer to be a big plus? Was the thermostat replace because it was bad or because you had a better option? Thank you for your input
Yes, we love the washer and dryer. They are the Splendide. The dryer does not get that hot but has worked out great for us. The thermostat touchpad would come on by itself in travel. When you touched it it wAs hard to regulate. Dometic said it was a known flaw. They are going to ship us a replacement for the bedroom too.
Cubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 07:15 PM   #16
Brucelas
Established Member

M.O.C. #18901
Butchiiii,
I have read about this problem a few times, and with different models.
I looked but could not find some old threads with this issue.
If you look at the bedroom slide, bottom forward area you see a small area with a flex or expansion joint. That small area has a lot of stress.
That is what I would keep an eye on.
In my case, I saw the bowing in the closet walls first, then when I looked at that joint with a small wrinkle, I knew I had a problem.
Old 10-20-2018, 05:38 PM   #17
Joe Hollars
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22879
I was So glad to find this thread! My wife and I have ordered this rig (3791RD). It should be in the paint shop as I type. Full body paint! We have ordered the Legacy package with the disk brakes, cameras, and everything else that comes with it. We are giving up our Cameo by Carriage (Great 5th wheel rig). But we are looking at a LOT more room and storage.
My wife and I are headed to Goshen on Nov 13th for a factory tour and to hopefully see ours being finished out.
I'm kinda excited, LOL.
Joe Hollars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 01:48 PM   #18
msgeologist

M.O.C. #21146
I have owned and “full timed” in my 2018 3791 RD for about a year now. I have really enjoyed the layout and all of the storage room. I am currently experiencing a serious issues through. 3 out of 5 of my slides leak and allow moisture to enter the space between the wood floor and thick plastic covering the bottom exterior of the slide. I have thoroughly inspected each seal and even added some additional caulking to mitigate the issue and no luck. I ended up having to drill a small hole in the plastic of each slide to allow the water to drain so it didn’t hold it for an extended period of time. Even though it is under warranty, I don’t really have the option to put it in the shop for several months and I know that is exactly how it would end up. Seriously considering trading my unit even though I really like it.
msgeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 03:59 PM   #19
Butchiiii
Established Member

M.O.C. #22836
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgeologist View Post
I have owned and “full timed” in my 2018 3791 RD for about a year now. I have really enjoyed the layout and all of the storage room. I am currently experiencing a serious issues through. 3 out of 5 of my slides leak and allow moisture to enter the space between the wood floor and thick plastic covering the bottom exterior of the slide. I have thoroughly inspected each seal and even added some additional caulking to mitigate the issue and no luck. I ended up having to drill a small hole in the plastic of each slide to allow the water to drain so it didn’t hold it for an extended period of time. Even though it is under warranty, I don’t really have the option to put it in the shop for several months and I know that is exactly how it would end up. Seriously considering trading my unit even though I really like it.

msgeologist,
Have you been able to locate where the leaks are coming from?
Old 10-21-2018, 04:04 PM   #20
Joe Hollars
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22879
msgeologist,
Sorry to hear about your leaks. We got the slide awnings. Maybe that will help us, I hope.
Joe
Joe Hollars is offline   Reply With Quote