Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Pet Palace
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2008, 02:47 AM   #1
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Falling Dogs!

We pulled into camp yesterday afternoon and proceed to set up camp. I was at the front of my rig getting my cart off the truck. Looked down to get my cane and suddenly hear this "thud"! I looked up and there was Bandit rolling on his back. He simply rolled over and jumped up. It is a good 5 feet from where he fell! He did have a confused look on his face but seemed ok otherwise. We have watched him carefully since his fall and think he is OK...... But that is scary. From now on we'll push the windows up a little more so he can't stand on the ledge! We'll also try to get them out a bit sooner so they aren't so anxious.

Hopefully just another learning experience for both the furry kids and for his less than observant parents.

I promise to watch more carefully in the future. Please do not report me to the police!

Later....

Dennis and Mary Kay

HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 03:05 AM   #2
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
Dennis,

Where exactly was Bandit before he fell...from one of the windows in the upper part of the unit?

Ironically, before reading your post I was just surfing the web about traveling in RVs with animals and one of the sites had 10 things to remember about traveling with dogs. (Piccola and Lupo (yorkies) are new additions to our family since our previous RVing adventures.) Two things that they identified was keeping the windows open just an inch or so (to prevent them from falling out/escaping) and to get them out and about as soon as possible...your post just serves to emphasis those two points even more!

I am happy to hear that Bandit seems no worse for the experience...has your heart rate returned to normal yet?

Robin
eeoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 04:07 AM   #3
Les and Julie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1057
Sorry to hear about Bandit's fall -- glad to hear he is okay. Alex sends Doggie Hugs to Bandit.

Les and Julie
Les and Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 05:33 AM   #4
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
That is a long way to fall for a dog with such short legs. We are glad to hear that Bandit is not hurt. I was surprise that Buddy did not follow him out the window.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 05:43 AM   #5
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Since I wasn't watching closely it could be that Bandit had some "help" from Buddy! We've watched Bandit all evening and night and he seems to be perfectly normal. Thankfully!

We have caught up with Steve and Vicki Reigle here in Camp Verde. They send their "Hellos". They are headed on east bound from here. They have about a month to work their way back to the KS area. Of course the KU winning the national BB title has made their travel much easier!

Hope all is well out CA way. See that a few storms have come thru your area. And WA and OR seem to really be getting the cold and wet stuff.

Thanks for the note re: Bandit and we'll see you folks in Shasta!

Dennis and Mary Kay
Old 04-13-2008, 10:35 AM   #6
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Dennnis,

Whew, scary stuff, glad the kids are OK!!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 12:18 PM   #7
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Eeoski,

Bandit was standing in the front seat of the pick up. He is in the habit of jumping up and balancing on the door ledge. I usually only open the windows enough for them to sniff real good. But it was very warm when we arrived so decided to open all windows fully. You know.... I was right there so what could happen! Well, of course, he did exactly what I've been fearing all along! And we have an F-450. It sits a bit higher than a normal pick up.... at least 4 to 6 inches.

Been watching him all day and he is absolutely his normal self so all is well! We are very fortunate.

Thank you to all who have voiced concern.

Dennis and Mary Kay..... and of course..... Bandit and Buddy!
Old 04-13-2008, 01:17 PM   #8
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
I am VERY happy to hear that he's his normal self.

Piccola and Lupo have minds of their own and are very stubborn (they take after their "father" not me! LOL) so if/when they take it in their minds to jump from point "A" to point "B" I know they are going to do it. As much as I try to convince them they ARE NOT mountain goats with wings they try to prove me wrong at every turn no matter how sharp an eye I keep on them. Regardless, I keep on thinking I'm smarter/faster than they are and assume they'll listen to/use reason (WHAT am I thinking!??) and not try to do that four foot high, 45 degree jump across 30 feet (or at least it seems that way).

I have a feeling they'll have to be strapped to me (literally) whenever we set up/break down camp or I will be posting about "Falling Dogs"...who told me that dog chldren were easier than human children!!!??? Guess it is off the to web to find doggy back packs! (Our Dodge is a 4WD and at least two stories high (at least it feels that way to me when I'm climbing up/down)!

Again, glad to hear no harm was done!

Robin
eeoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 02:06 PM   #9
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Dennis/MaryKay, sorry to hear about Bandits experience, Sure glad he is OK. We will be at 1000 trails in Valley Verde AZ on Wednesday for three weeks, Is this where you are, if so lets do lunch!!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 04:59 PM   #10
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Hi Phil,

Thanks for the note regarding Bandit.

We are about 50 miles south of Flagstaff in Camp Verde. We'll be here until Tuesday then on to the Grand Canyon.

I think Valle Verde is a different place. Thanks for the getting together for lunch idea. Will look for you on down the road.

Dennis
Old 04-13-2008, 06:08 PM   #11
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Sorry to hear of Bandits fall. Happy he is not hurt. Lucylou and Bonnie send doggie kisses for Bandit.

Lucylou and Bonnie wear doggie harnesses so they are fastened in until we take them out. Cat also wears one. Works for us.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 05:47 AM   #12
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Glad to hear Bandit's OK! We had a little toy poodle jump from a MOVING vehicle once. It wasn't very high and it wasn't very fast, but it WAS very SCARY. It was kinda' like that scene from What's Up With Mary (or something like that) where the dog jumps out the window after a ball. She was trying to get in my lap while I was driving (windows down) and when I told told her to "Get Down", that's exactly what she did. She was not injured at all, but that was a lesson for us all. Chloe, whom some of you met at the Spring Rally in Tucson, was run over by a golf cart and suffered a broken pelvis not too long ago. Jena was driving and Chloe just stopped (or slowed down) right in front of the cart. Jena was looking off to one side.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 04:30 PM   #13
Rocky2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2840
Glad to hear your Bandit is okay - but watch him.
Our Mickey (at about 9 or 10 yrs old) jumped out of the cab through the window of our truck because he was impatient with Joe and wanted out with him.
He has 3 bulging disks in his back that we discovered a month or so later when he started having trouble walking. We took him to a doggy chiroprator and it helped a lot (he is the one who found the back problems). He still has problems but if I sit on the floor and rub his back like you would a person he feels better plus loves the extra attention.

Laura
(Mickey is the one in the middle in the picture)
Rocky2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 05:17 PM   #14
2golfers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4579
Glad to here that Bandit is OK, Jill likes to balance on the door ledge also w/her front paws. So far all she has done is lock the doors and windows,(thank goodness for those punch numbers on the door!!!). We have arrived in Farmington NM, we are actually staying in Bloomfield. say hello to Steve & Vickie for us.

Pat & Virgil
2golfers is offline   Reply With Quote