Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2006, 10:43 AM   #1
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Extended Warranty's

I am going to buy the Good Sam's CSP extended Warranty. It was not my first or even second choice. The other ones required that you buy for 4 to 7 years and we did not want to do that. Good Sam CSP will sell on a yearly bases. It will cost me 352.99 for now through May 08. The coverage is pretty much the same on all the good E.W.The good Sam CSP is a bit more pricey but I like the one year term. I am extremely dubious about any Extended Warranty but I had a very long talk with a CSP rep so I do understand what we are buying... Anyone with experience..good or bad..with CSP...

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 06:21 PM   #2
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Rich.
FWIW, My daddy advised me to never insure anything I could afford to lose. His advice has served me well.
Dave
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 06:35 PM   #3
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
I bought STAR. Anybody with experience with that?
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 06:37 PM   #4
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Rich,
Glad to hear you have found a extended warranty that meets your needs. I hope it serves you well in the months and years ahead.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 12:10 AM   #5
bob
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6258
I did purchase a warranty at time of sale Had to have a Independnt do the repair work , I took my paper work with me , they said to ask for refund. we were told that most warranty co do not pay that well
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 01:46 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MAMalody

I have the Star E.W contract in front of me. It reads the same as the Good Sam ESP The shortest term Star offers is 4 years for 298.75 per year and you must purchase withing 90 days of purchasing your rv or the price goes up. With all due respect to Keystone, Montana and the Rv industry in general I have a low confidence level in the Quality, Workmanship and material that go into these things. I feel the probability that something major will break in my Ford truck is low and the probability that something major will break in the Montana is high so the extended warranty is a must have..
Old 10-24-2006, 12:22 PM   #7
Craig A
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6228
I agree with your reasoning on the GS ESP on a monthly basis, however, be aware they do NOT pay shipping. When I had the >$100 black tank on my Dutchmen this summer, it was a $700 job of which I paid $175, which was my $100 deductible and the shipping cost. When I bought the Mountaineer, I opted for the 7 year warranty for $2000. A comparable GS warranty would have cost me 7 X 12 X 35 = $2940.
Craig A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 01:47 PM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We are reconsidering the Good Sams EW. An attorney and good friend of ours did not like the wording of the contract. Think I will let him decide which EW we purchase.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:18 AM   #9
kwbosch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3237
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

We are reconsidering the Good Sams EW. An attorney and good friend of ours did not like the wording of the contract. Think I will let him decide which EW we purchase.
Rich,

Please let us know which EW carrier you go with and why you or your attorney chose it.

Thanks,

Ken
kwbosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 02:24 PM   #10
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
We bought a year old Montana 2880RL in 2002 and paid $1480 for 4 yrs.The company was United States Warranty Corporation Golden Eagle E.S.P. The next year we had brake problem and they wouldn't cover any of the cost. We haven't used the trailer very much before retiring so it wan't a good deal for us. A wasted $1480. Probably wouldn't do it again but we don't plan on trading up to a different trailer anyway.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 03:20 PM   #11
jsrang
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1726
Mike,
We purchased "Star" 2 years ago when we purchased our Monty. Have used it twice successfully. I would highly recommend "Star" based on our experiences. We purchased the full 7 year policy.

Jim
jsrang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 04:09 PM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Star is a very good E.W.There are a few that read the same as Star. We are leaning toward "Warranty Services Company" Their contract reads near identical as Star. Star turned me off by insisting that I purchase the 7 year policy and dictating that I must buy the policy within 90 days of purchase of the camper. Some things to look for...Do they pay directly to the repair shop via a corporate credit card.(must be yes) and a good Warranty company is backed by a major Insurance company or companies.You need to find out who the backers are and are they reputable..that can take a bit of doing. Star, Warranty services and one recommended by Montana Sky through Blue Crick Rv have been around for a long time and are properly backed.

Another interesting bit of info.. A large majority of Failure to pay claims are because the user (us) failed to follow the proper procedure, read your contract carefully. Also they all have a statement that reads something like this..Any modification or add on to the unit not authorized or approved by the manufacturer will not be paid...Like adding a trailer hitch to a Montana.The contracts are too much for a layman..they were written by lawyers and you need a lawyer to interpret it for you.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:41 PM   #13
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
Jim, I also purchased the full seven year policy. Fortunately, I have not had to use it.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:08 PM   #14
wa4bmg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #592
Where do you get information on STAR ? Any WEB site info?
wa4bmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 12:12 AM   #15
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Rich, I went with Warranty Experts, for me the CSP was way to $$$$, I could live with the terms of WE. Haven't had to use it. They pay with a credit card directly to the repair facility.
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 02:34 AM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Warranty Experts and Warranty Services are two different EW's. As long as you completly understand the terms of the contract you should be satisfied. Most folks do not completly read the contract till they have been denied a claim. CSP was to expensive for the service they offer.
Old 10-26-2006, 03:57 PM   #17
bking
Established Member

M.O.C. #4597
I too am looking at these contracts. I was looking for one, however, that had a good price for a 7 year term as I plan on keeping my camper that long at least. I am leaning towards the Warranty Experts as the best I've found. Prices are good and seems to cover all we are interested in.

bking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 06:42 PM   #18
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by wa4bmg

Where do you get information on STAR ? Any WEB site info?
Try 1-800-942-0400.

If that doesn't work, let me know.
Old 10-27-2006, 03:02 AM   #19
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
For the Star E.W.. The backing Company is 'Interstate National Dealer Services of Flordia" www.inds.com.

Remember..in general..you gets what you pays for,,Do not look for the cheapest..look for the best..Read and understand the coverage. I urge you, in the strongest of terms... Call these companies, Talk to their representatives. You should have a contract in hand, ask questions..like.."what exactly does this mean" If they will not provide a contract for you to examine or there is not one you can download on their web site.....danger,, danger, stay away. Call the E.W company 2 or 3 times and talk to "different" reps..see if you get the same story. Find out , as in Star's case, who backs them, Bank? Insurance comany? Investment group? It will be well worth it to have a Attorney read the contract and give you advice. Investagate, research, do your homework and there will be no surprises.As a matter of fact after you do all that you may choose not to purchase a E.W.
Old 10-27-2006, 05:10 AM   #20
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MAMalody

I have the Star E.W contract in front of me. It reads the same as the Good Sam ESP The shortest term Star offers is 4 years for 298.75 per year and you must purchase withing 90 days of purchasing your rv or the price goes up. With all due respect to Keystone, Montana and the Rv industry in general I have a low confidence level in the Quality, Workmanship and material that go into these things. I feel the probability that something major will break in my Ford truck is low and the probability that something major will break in the Montana is high so the extended warranty is a must have..
Rich,
I know you know that there is an awful lot of things that can go wrong with any type of vehicle that cannot be attributed to the manufacturer of that vehicle. That's why I believe that the extended warranty is a good idea. I had it on my truck because I wasn't sure how diesels held up. Sure enough, I've gotten my money back, and more because of parts failures that Ford obtained from suppliers. With my Montana, refrigerator went out and the extended warranty got me a new one. Result: Only cost my my $50 deductible. New Dometic reefer was $1300.

Years ago, manufacturers were so sure their products were well made that you didn't have to worry about extended warranties. Case in point is Sears, Roebuck and Co. When I was a young lad (too many years ago), my folks bought everything for the farm from Sears. Remember the "Good, Better, Best" listings they had for their products? I still use as many Craftsman tools as I can because IF one breaks, all I have to do is go to any Sears store and they will replace it.

I don't understand why all manufacturers (even those who just make replacement parts) can't stand behind their products instead of automatically telling you that this product is going to fail and you should have and extended warranty. I'll never be without one, myself.

That's why I like my '95 Ford that I bought new. When I go into any Ford garage, I get it repaired and there is always a warranty on the part.

Thanks for listening to me vent.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote