Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-30-2019, 09:31 PM   #21
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
winch issues

When I had my 06 Chevy Duramax I bought a front mount hitch bracked at the 2010 rally. That gave me two spots to hang a warn 8k unit and keep it ocked in the bed when not needed. In most cases when I needed a winch I needed it to pull my ass back out the way came so I would just hang it on the back hitch. The odd times that I either backed into trouble or had to drag some other poor soul out of a muddy or wet hell I hung it to the front, Perm mount in the front but requires a very large fairlead to get the cable out the backI just found the lighter winch and the two mounts made more scents..

Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 05:19 AM   #22
DmaxDually
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14092
After much research on grill guards I finally found one I really like. I to installed the Westin HDX Grill guard and winch tray several years ago on my 2012 3500 Duramax LB dually. I didn't have to modify or drill any holes, it was direct bolt on.It was a little difficult for one person but I got it done. I really like how the Westin HDX looks..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5fe.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	323.6 KB
ID:	4964  
Old 10-31-2019, 09:08 AM   #23
Loadone

M.O.C. #19221
Nice. Is that just a Hook cover???
Loadone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 05:46 PM   #24
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
I contacted Westin to ask if they made the HDX for the GMC versus the Chevy and they said they don't. So I guess I will have to get a Ranch Hand brand.. Like I was saying I will go with a hitch mounted winch that can be used either in front or back. And the winch can be kept locked in the bed or the rig when not in use..
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 05:58 PM   #25
Hornet28
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exnavydiver View Post
I contacted Westin to ask if they made the HDX for the GMC versus the Chevy and they said they don't. So I guess I will have to get a Ranch Hand brand.. Like I was saying I will go with a hitch mounted winch that can be used either in front or back. And the winch can be kept locked in the bed or the rig when not in use..

Plus being removable means it's not out in the weather all the time. Should add greatly to it's life and appearance

05 Mountaineer 298-RLS,
Hornet28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 06:06 PM   #26
DmaxDually
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loadone View Post
Nice. Is that just a Hook cover???
Hook Cover??? Are you talking about the tow hooks? They are real tow hooks. They are optional. Since I had to removed my factory tow hooks to mount the grill guards I bought them just in case I ever need front tow hooks. They sit in the winch tray and bolt through the winch tray into the winch tray mount brackets.
Old 10-31-2019, 09:57 PM   #27
Sandra_David
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20440
Awesome job
Love the story...sounds like something I would do.
Sandra_David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 04:28 PM   #28
Motorman409

M.O.C. #18276
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepkat View Post
Snow tires and all-weather tires are pretty useless for snow and especially for ice. I would suggest you invest in a good set oh heavy duty chains w Cletus for your truck. And also rev you practice putting them on and taking off! IMHO this could save much aggravation and help avoid accidents and need for a wench!
I beg to differ, we can always use a good Wench!!
Motorman409 is offline   Reply With Quote