Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2019, 07:44 AM   #1
Bulldog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22842
3400RL 12 v lights

Those of you have this rig which switch turns on the four 12v lights in the center of the living room. I have tried having all switches I can see turned on then turned each of the four light switches on and off. I pulled each bulb out and the filaments appeared to be all good. The PO said they hadn’t worked for the four years he had it. He didn’t attempt to work on them. All the fuses in the breaker box are good. Seems strange all four of them don’t work. Any info would be appreciated. Plan going on our first trip in this rig on Saturday.

Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 09:46 AM   #2
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
My model has the 4 overhead lights you are referring to. I would start with pulling the wall switch out and check for 12 volt power coming into the switch. If there is power coming into and then going out of the switch, I would suspect a bad connection at one of the lights. If that is the case, pull down one light at a time, start with the light closest to the switch and check the wire nutted connections. They should be daisy chain wired together.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 10:44 AM   #3
Lenny K
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14417
The switch you are looking for is located in the rear on the side wall.There are two of them. One controls the two lights that are under the rear cabinets and the other the four ceiling lights.
I would pull the fuse that protects that circuit and replace it. I went through a similar scenario on the two rear lights under the cabinet and this worked.
If it doesn't, follow the instructions given by beeje.

Lenny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 01:22 PM   #4
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Before you do any of the above suggested things, make sure the switches on the individual lights are turned on. The reason I say this is because, we had a group of grandkids stay with us overnight several months ago, and they were not aware of the wall switch at the right rear corner of the livingroom, so, and I'm baffled how they were able to do this, but they turned all four switches off at the light fixtures, which solved their problem. The next day, I tried to turn on the lights, and nothing happened. I got the stepstool out and started checking things, and that is when I discovered the switches turned off. Hope this helps.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 07:53 PM   #5
Bulldog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny K View Post
The switch you are looking for is located in the rear on the side wall.There are two of them. One controls the two lights that are under the rear cabinets and the other the four ceiling lights.
I would pull the fuse that protects that circuit and replace it. I went through a similar scenario on the two rear lights under the cabinet and this worked.
If it doesn't, follow the instructions given by beeje.

Thank you Lenny. I only have one switch on the rear right side wall. Not getting juice at the switch. The fuse is good. I traded switch with another switch and the switch is good. I guess the next thing to do is pull the panel cover and check for a loose wire.
2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 08:21 PM   #6
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
When you remove the fuse panel cover use your voltmeter to verify you have voltage at the fuse. You would not expect a fuse panel to have a bad circuit. But never rule anything out without making sure.
Check voltage at all your fuses. Wouldn’t be the first time they were mislabeled.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 07:35 AM   #7
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
It is very common to have loose connections at the panel. Everyone should be periodically checking there panel lug screws. I check mine once a year.

I also have marked every light, recepical, switch with its corresponding breaker/fuse # which makes for easier to diagnose issues later.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote