Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Long Timers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-10-2006, 10:52 AM   #21
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
1- Someone had left a tube of lipstick in a dryer and even our blue jeans were ruined.
2- Dog hair stuck to our clothes
3- Dirty laundry rooms
4- Clothes shrinking or turning yellow from the dryers

That is why I don't like the Laundromats but I still use them when I'm in a hurry. I am very cautious though and usually wipe out both the washer and dryer before using. I use my Splendite for most of our things.

adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 03:45 AM   #22
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
Even though Shari would agree regarding being a "germ-o-phobe", we use the laundramat in the CG rather than having a W/D. The W/D closet in our 2980 is the coat & shoe closet. We keep a laundry basket in the main closet for the dirties. The basement is too full to be able to use the laundry "chute". We do the laundry together and get it done in 1-1/2 to 2 hours. Of course, we're still working right now, so time is an issue. I also did not want the extra weight, especially since the W/D closet on the 2980 is in the bedromm and would add directly to the pin weight, which is already high.
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 07:47 AM   #23
Roamingusa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4995
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Native Tex

My wife has a question that maybe only long timers could answer. Most full timers would have a washer and dryer combo, we thought the long timers may not at this point. At any rate, if you do not have a washer/dryer, how and where is the best place to store dirty laundry until you can get to a Laundromat or home?
We keep a regular laundry basket in the bedroom closet, under the hanging slacks, jeans, plenty of room. The wire basket is full of shoes and the attachments for the central vac.
We do have a washer and dryer, as we are fulltimers and have been for 12 yrs. We have had the same washer and dryer from Sears for 10 yrs. I do not like what I see in public/rv park laundromats either. The final straw was when I was in a public laundromat in town a girl came in with a new baby in tow and a diaper pail full of cloth diapers (yep I guess some people still use them) and she proceeded to put the diapers in the washer NOT RINSED OUT ! I also have had dog hairs come out of the washer on clothes, lipstick, gum ect. I walked into a laundromat here in Reno one am and there were homeless people sleeping under the tables covered with abandoned clothing. NOPE! I'll pay the extra electric and sit home and watch General Hospital while my laundry is going ! LOL
Roamingusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 01:11 PM   #24
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
We use the laundry basket that came with the MOnty, don't have a W/D, wifey doesn't want one, says she can do a ton of laundry in the laundromat for what one would cost.
I tend to agree, and the time is much quicker.
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 02:17 PM   #25
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
We are fulltimers without W/D. Since I've never had one, I don't know if I would like it or not. But, we just take our to the laundromat every week to 10 days. We also keep our dirty laundry baskets in the shower.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 12:48 AM   #26
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
We do not see the need to have a W/D. We like the extra room, we do not stay on sewer enough. We have "Wash Day" when needed and get-r-done.
As far as cleanliness, if I was that concerned, I would not eat out at fast food restaurants or any restaurants. After 30 years as a firefighter, germs are everywhere and a laundrymat is low on the list of problems.
rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 04:27 AM   #27
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have not yet used our recently installed Splendede, We had 7 days worth of "on the road laundry) and did not want to run that much through the splendede.The laundry facilities here are squeaky clean but cost us 1.50 per wash load (3 loads) and 1.00 per dryer load (3 loads) that equates to @ 30.00 per month.We have just about determined that large bulky things will still require a Laundromat but if they are as nice as the faculties here..no problem.We will begin to use the Splendede.In the 3400 front closet which we use as a pantry the only room we lost was floor space.The unit is 33 1/4 inches high and did not infringe on the shelf space in the closet at all. Everything is a trade off when rv'ing and our trade off was 33 1/4 inches of floor space for , in our opinion, a bit of convenience.For the number crunchers the money factor was not the issue.Making our life a bit easier was..We never considered a W/D something we needed prior to long timing. I doubt that in all our years of weekend and summer vacation camping we used a laundromat 7 or 8 times. We just took our dirty laundry home..Home is now 2300 miles away and we won't be back there till April.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 06:30 AM   #28
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
This is another of those topics - if you have it, you love it - if you don't, you are happy with your way. We love ours. If I had been in Rich and Helen's shoes, I would have done all of it in the Splendide. We don't always wash every day and I have had a week's worth when we were busy doing other things. So I just start in and do one load after the other. In the meantime, we watched a couple of movies, had a great steak dinner, went to the store, took a walk, had a nap and read. Plus I didn't have to go hunt quarters. My clothes were clean and put away the minute they came out of the dryer. JMHO
Happy trails.................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 07:19 AM   #29
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We are learning Sue..We will start using the splendede on a every couple of days basis and see how that works for us We would rather do as Sue describes rather than hang around a Laundromat no matter how nice it is///
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 07:38 AM   #30
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
We have a stack washer/dryer and I love it. I don't like to hang around a laundermat doing laundry. We do one load every day and doesn't take long. Watch movies, walk dogs, cook, sit outside while laundry is being done.
We use the basement laundry trap door storage for dirty clothing.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 11:47 AM   #31
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We have the stack and Vicki does a week or more worth of laundry in one day, allowing her to watch TV or whatever while the laundry is going. The laundry chute we use for cleaning supplies, like Windex, etc. and have a separate hamper between the dresser and the drawers under the TV. The lower drawers contain seldom accessed things so this works for us. I know some like laundromats but our past experiences with them leave us with no desire to do that again. Just our opinion.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 12:29 PM   #32
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Rich, DW uses our at night or evening one load before bed the other while we are going to bed and finished up while we are sleep, get up in morning run it in dry cycle to get wrinkles to min and done. She would not be without it.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 01:33 PM   #33
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Oh thing I forgot. You can have a cold one while you are doing the laundry when you do it in your Monty - or a glass of wine or whatever.
Happy trails.....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 02:26 PM   #34
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Or you can go out to eat a 4 course meal with cocktails during the time saved by doing the entire load at a laundromat in under 2 hours.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 11:36 PM   #35
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
At this time we feel that it is not worth carrying a w/d in the Monty. On some of longer trips we would do laundry every two weeks. We use the basket in the floor to store dirty cloths.
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 01:16 AM   #36
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
I love this debate on W/D, it is gradually leaning toward eating and drinking. That is one area we can all agree.
Wonder if the RV'ers in a nudist colony debate on this topic.
rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 02:11 AM   #37
refocused
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6586
Our cat, Murphy, forbids us to ever get a washer/dryer - that is his little cueva and he does not wish to be evicted!
refocused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 03:26 AM   #38
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by refocused

Our cat, Murphy, forbids us to ever get a washer/dryer - that is his little cueva and he does not wish to be evicted!
And that is part of my point.. There are so many other useful things that space can be used for, even a cat house. And you're not hauling around all that extra dead weight. As a full timer extra weight can come in of other stuff and by not waisting my money on a W/D I have money to buy that other stuff.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 08:43 AM   #39
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Sue,
I like the way you think! Any reason to enjoy some "adult" beverages is good for me. I doubt in this coach, but the next one will have a set of stackable washer/dryers in it. Especially since you can now order them direct from Keystone to be installed while the coach is being built. Price is pretty equal to what my dealership could have installed them for...
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 12:17 PM   #40
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Some of us have a different opinion. We abhor laundromats. We've had nasty experiences in them, including in RV parks. We LIKE having our washer and dryer here where we can be home while doing laundry, able to do other things rather than sitting around in a laundromat in an uncomfortable chari. Much more a pleasant experience for us to do our laundry right here. And we still find places to store everything. We feel NOT having a washer and dryer in our rig would be a deal breaker for us. Everyone has their own opinions and their own priorities and should go or not go with a w/d for those personal reasons and only those reasons. In my opinion.

By the way, I read an article in an eNewsletter from Woodall's where they recommend NOT buying an RV washer and dryer but getting an apartment sized w/d instead. When we bought this 3400 we went with a new Majestic washer/dryer stack that was designed for an RV. We had those pulled out and our apartment sized w/d from our tradein installed into this 3400. The tubs on these hold so much more than the RV w/d and just do a better job, in our opinion.

Vicki doesn't do laundry every day. She normally does it once per week. Las Monday she started around noon and did 9 days worth of laundry by evening while able to do other things around the house at the same time. She could not have done that in one day with the RV sized w/d.

To have or not to have is a personal decision in my opinion based purely and only on a person's own preferences, priorities, and desires. For us it's a no-brainer. But our decision is no more correct for anyone else than anyone else's is for us.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote