Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-18-2019, 04:55 AM   #1
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Hydraulic system not working

I can hear a click behind the leveling keypad. No Slide outs or levelers move whether plugged in to shore power or on battery. Nothing. Just a single click. We got home late yesterday and have not yet checked connections or battery voltage.

We first had issues the week after Christmas. 40 amp breaker blew when slide outs were engaged. I replaced the OEM 40 amp breaker with 80 amp when we got back. I operated the slide outs in and out several times in the past few weeks with no issues. This was our first trip since then. Getting ready to go out of town on Friday - running slides in and breaker popped 3-4 times before I got them in. The slides went out with no issues when we arrived at the destination. Called Lippert on the way up and the tech gave me some tips to check voltage at the pump solenoid and tightness of wire connections (have not done it yet- will do it tonight when I get home). Lippert tech said he was not ruling out bad pump motor. I did notice that during slide out operation hooked to truck, voltage on in command panel got down to 11.4 volts and I figured it was time for a new battery. Last night incommand panel showed 14.4 volts. This morning it showed 13.7 volts. When we left to come home yesterday the slides came in but popped breaker once.

Got home - front legs went down with Monte hooked up to running truck and got unhitched. Then plugged into shore power and nothing worked. No auto level and no slides. Just a single click sound when any level button is pushed or the in command slide slides button touched. I plan to call Lippert again today. The Monte’s warranty was up January 25. Your ideas and suggestions are appreciated.

Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 08:18 AM   #2
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
If you showed 14.4 with shore power then you need to replace that battery. I’d have two if it was mine. 14.4 is bulk mode charge...

I’d get new batteries, clean the cable ends that connect to battery and also check the cables that go to the dual polarity solenoid located at the hyd pump motor.

I’m betting once you’ve got a good battery and clean/tight connections your issues will go away.

With battery disconnected also measure DC voltage hooked to shore power. Should see around 13.4 to 13.8. If so converter is most likely fine.
ChuckS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 08:22 AM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Tripping the new 80 amp breaker? Something definitely not right. But the clicking with no resulting action makes me wonder if the reversing polarity contactor (sometimes not quite accurately called a Trombetta) on the pump is clicking but not actuating. The breaker would only click when it trips and then resets. But should at least bump the pump before tripping.

Did you check with a voltmeter to verify that you do or do not have voltage at the output side of the 80 amp breaker? And if you have voltage to the input terminal on the pump, both before and after hitting the switch to move the slides? Voltage should be constant at both points at all times, although it may dip a little during pump operation.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 09:00 AM   #4
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
testing voltage

I intend to buy a clamp voltmeter on the way home and try to check some of these suggestions. Unfortunately I am "electrical challenged" so this will be an on-the-job learning experience. Usually I am just short of terrified with anything electrical - 110 house stuff or 12 volt RV stuff.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:07 AM   #5
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
A simple multi meter with leads is really what I’d buy. Here is how to test both hyd pump motor and dual polarity solenoid. Very simple to do.

https://www.lci1.com/assets/content/...y_Solenoid.pdf

Just take your time and don’t let a positive lead be shorted to trailer frame. It’s DC. Won’t hurt you.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:15 AM   #6
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
Also this is a nice read to help you learn to use a multi meter

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/How+To+...ltimeter/25632
Old 03-18-2019, 10:08 AM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
First thing I'd do is take the battery into an auto parts store and check it.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 03:47 PM   #8
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Check your voltage then check it while you try to move the slides. If the voltage drops way down you aren’t putting enough amps in to the system to move the slides or the pump is pulling too many amps. Then look for a loose battery connection and check you battery disconnect.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 04:57 PM   #9
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
If you read 14.4 volts, you just happened to be checking voltage when the converter was in it's every 21 hour cycle for 15 minutes to prevent sulfation. In your Progressive Dynamics manual for your converter, this is what it says:

STORAGE MODE: When the converter senses that there has been no significant battery usage for 30 hours the output voltage is reduced to 13.2 volts DC for minimal water usage. When in storage mode the microprocessor automatically increases the output voltage to 14.4 volts DC for 15 minutes every 21 hours to help reduce sulfation of the battery plates.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:47 PM   #10
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
All great ideas. When checking all your connections don't ignore your battery ground going to the 5'er chassis. Many electrical problems have been resolved by insuring it is tight and penetrating the paint.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:53 PM   #11
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Update

Sometimes you just get lucky!
Took the batteries (Deka 27s) to get checked.
They were fully charged and putting out more CCA than spec.
One negative battery pole had some corrosion so I cleaned it up and put it all back good and tight.
Made sure all ground connections in the front compartment were tight.
Made sure all connections on the pump solenoid were tight.
The connections on the pump motor needed 1/8 to a 1/4 turn to tighten.
Plugged it into shore power and turned on both disconnect switches.
Went inside to the incommand screen and battery showed 13.6V.
Pushed the OUT button and they went out!!!
Went over to the level up pad - pushed auto level - and it leveled up!

Thanks to you guys for all the good info and advice.
Apparently tightening and reworking the connections did the trick!
Old 03-22-2019, 08:22 PM   #12
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
You might want to also go into your 120 vac breaker panel (with shore power cord unplugged) and your 12 volt fuse panel and check all wire connections for hot, neutral, ground, +12 v, and 12 ground for tightness. I found a number of the screws only marginally tight.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 03:33 PM   #13
Normal Norm
Established Member

M.O.C. #23516
DC will hurt you, it could light you up like Christmas tree.
Normal Norm is offline   Reply With Quote