Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2019, 04:21 PM   #21
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
A ratchet wrench and cheater just tore up threads. Once we shifted to an impact wrench the bolts came off easily and with no damage.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 04:37 PM   #22
Jingle
Established Member

M.O.C. #23321
Ordering parts from lci now. The bracket that I bent costs about $40 and the jack foot is about $32. I am going to hire a mobile welder to fix it. My question is this: When parked on level ground, hooked to TV, and jacks retracted, how much ground clearance do you have under each jack? We are getting this fixed so that we can move on to the next RV adventure. BTW, DW traced down and repaired the speaker that was wired wrong from the factory. Sorry, I just had to brag.

Jerry
Jingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 09:00 AM   #23
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
As said above mike, turn the bolt head...not the nut.
Old 05-04-2019, 07:58 PM   #24
Rusty17
Established Member

M.O.C. #22541
If not already a member, feel free to look up the 3120/21rl Montana Owners Facebook page and join.
Rusty17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 04:56 AM   #25
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Bent jack update

I bought a kobalt battery operated impact wrench from Lowe’s, took jack off the bent bracket and used a sledge hammer to beat the bracket as close to plumb as I could get it. Front to back plumb is good. For side to side, I raised it up 1 hole and used 2 washers on the lowest bolt holes, 1 washer on the middle, and none on the top bolt to get it almost perfectly plumb. I also raised the other 3 rear jacks by 1 hole. The top bolts on the middle jack were tough to get to because of the skirting. I added a 2x4 block under each rear jack. I think I will cut some 4x4s to use instead. Everything worked great.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 09:08 AM   #26
sme1950s
Established Member

M.O.C. #22828
Good stuff mike. I beat my supports back in line and was a little surprised it came back as well as it did. Tested it, lubed it and am pleased that it works. Take way for me and the RV community, it seems we learn as we go and this board is great inspiration to those coming along. Stuff happens its not the end of the world fix it and lets go camping
sme1950s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 09:39 PM   #27
Renegade1LI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22165
[QUOTE=Jingle;1137066]Ordering parts from lci now. The bracket that I bent costs about $40 and the jack foot is about $32. I am going to hire a mobile welder to fix it. My question is this: When parked on level ground, hooked to TV, and jacks retracted, how much ground clearance do you have under each jack? We are getting this fixed so that we can move on to the next RV adventure. BTW, DW traced down and repaired the speaker that was wired wrong from the factory. Sorry, I just had to brag.

Place a string line at the ground of the leading tire & pull it to the bottom of the frame all the way up front, this is your angle of approach, you really don't want anything below the string line. Once you pull the line you'll see what I mean. The same holds true going rearward,this is your departure angle & you don't want anything below that plane either. This will help you traversing slopes if you side swipe something thats a different story. My last 5er I put skid wheels at the rear of the frame it had a very low departure angle & would scrape going over certain inclines or approaches.
Renegade1LI is offline   Reply With Quote