Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2019, 11:35 AM   #21
davemitchell59
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23524
This seems to be quite the issue. 2017 3731FL has the skirts split because of the slide configuration. I noticed the left side flopping wildly in the rear view mirror. We ended up losing part of one half on the left side before I noticed the screws coming loose. I've since removed the entire left side and have a new skirt on order. The right side seems to have been reinforced by the previous owner, but I'll probably be working both sides to reinforce and attempt to keep the flopping to a minimum going down the road.

Apparently Keystone doesn't specify the skirts based on the individual models which leaves the split design flopping in the wind. And, will cause users to have to cut the skirt once it arrives to fit the specific model. Not a good design in my humble opinion. I definitely like the example that browens62 posted of the older design. That seems to make sense.

Would love to hear what others may have done to reinforce the design. I will certainly be looking at bolts and possibly a piece of fiberglass or semi-rigid plastic behind the skirting to stiffen things up.

davemitchell59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 11:48 AM   #22
davemitchell59
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23524
Flopping in the wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by team bradfield View Post
It is really crappy design, I mean who at "quality control" look at it and said, "that's good" ITS A WIND SCOOP FACING THE FRONT OF THE RIG??? what could happen?
Good observation. Unfortunately I didn't figure this out until we lost part of one of ours as it flopped in the wind. Definitely going to be looking at different methods to reinforce the attachment and the flimsy piece it attaches to before installing the new skirt I ordered.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:20 AM   #23
Bridge4d
Established Member

M.O.C. #21290
While on our Spring Break trip from Houston to Grand Canyon the driver's side fender skirts started coming off on our 2018 3731FL. This just the latest in a long list of quality issues we've had. Anyone had any luck finding replacements that don't cost >$150?

2022 3761FL Legacy
2022 F450 Dually
Bridge4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 09:40 AM   #24
davemitchell59
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge4d View Post
While on our Spring Break trip from Houston to Grand Canyon the driver's side fender skirts started coming off on our 2018 3731FL. This just the latest in a long list of quality issues we've had. Anyone had any luck finding replacements that don't cost >$150?
We lost part of our left side on our last trip. I only found one place with replacements unless you want to go with something totally generic. Even the one I ordered wasn't a perfect fit, so you will end up redrilling some of your anchor holes. You'll probably have some of your original holes that the skirt anchors to that have worn larger than the screws anyway, so you'll have to figure out a new way to anchor the new skirt.

If you're skirts are still in one piece and/or you took them off before they broke, I'd reuse them. I bought some 1/8"x3/4"x3' aluminum strips and new #8 screws at Lowes, predrilled holes, and used 2" pieces of the aluminum as backing/anchoring behind the thin metal that the skirts were originally anchored to. I used longer pieces on the top where the wholes line up to further reinforce the thin material to, hopefully, cut down on the flopping.

You'll also find that the open ends where the skirt is cut are not supported very well. I bent some of aluminum and attached it to the rig and the skirt to stabilize the open ends.

I've also heard/seen others that have used small bolts with larger washers on the back side instead of screws.

If you order a new skirt, it will come as one piece. I assume dealers have casts that they can use to cut them. But I'm DYI ... I found a body shop in town that would cut it for me. It wasn't perfect, but they didn't ruin it either.

I haven't taken it out on the road yet, so don't know if it will reduce the flopping or not.
2017 Montana 3731FL
Old 03-18-2019, 04:51 PM   #25
browens62
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21399
I have not used this place but take a look. They may have what u need

https://www.icondirect.com/categorie...Fender-Skirts/
browens62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 08:50 PM   #26
2019 montana
Established Member