Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 09-26-2018, 10:21 PM   #21
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I just remembered a restaurant in Fairbanks. I think it is called the Pump House. Very nice place on the river with a patio overlooking the water. It is named after it's original purpose. I think we ate there for our anniversary.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 06:35 AM   #22
margerush
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20713
Late June 2008 we toured Alaska with Road Scholars Tour. Took the Alaskan Railway from Fairbanks to Denali NP & saw beautiful landscape, moose & caribou.

Rode bus into Denali Park to Kantishna Road House. On bus ride saw all "big 5" (moose, caribou, grizzly, wolf & doll sheep). Kantishna (https://www.kantishnaroadhouse.com/) was a cozy cute single cabin. Temperature dropped to 38 when we left.

Coopers Landing rafted us on the Kanai river to Kanai Backcountry Lodge (https://www.kenaibackcountrylodge.com). We stayed in Yukon tents with propane lantern. Community shower is piped from mountain water, cold drinks in canal, 3 awesome meals/day prepared by professional chef. Beautiful hiking trail up the mountain, had to watch for moose & bears. All supplies are carried in by boat.

In Seward we took a tour boat to Resurrection Glacier, watched a glacier calve, otter sleeping on top of the water, humpback whales & dolphin.

We were told about the huge mosquitos but it was overcast most of the time & never experienced bug bits.

Returning to Alaska with our Monty is on my bucket list.
margerush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 06:44 AM   #23
pyoung47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20913
. The best scenery was from Glenallan to Valdez in Alaska. Best on the trip was the Canadian Rockies.[/QUOTE]

I’ll have to second this comment. Second was the drive between Banff and Jasper.
pyoung47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 05:05 PM   #24
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
After being in and thru the US Rockies many times, I was disappointed in the Candadian Rockies. Not very high or mountainous in my opinion. Now the drive south of Tok, AK for a day was beautiful, but the mountains were 100 miles away (or so). That area is the longest stretch of ice fields (memory failing here on that name) in Canada or maybe North America. Drove the whole day and still could see it.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 04:08 PM   #25
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoung47 View Post
1. Be sure to purchase the "Tour Saver" booklet. If you keep watching the site, they will go on sale.
OK I'll bite. What is a tour saver booklet and what site do I keep watching to see the sale?
prndl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 04:50 PM   #26
pyoung47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20913
Quote:
Originally Posted by prndl View Post
OK I'll bite. What is a tour saver booklet and what site do I keep watching to see the sale?
https://www.toursaver.com/

Try being just a tad less cynical. This will save you money.
pyoung47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 06:40 PM   #27
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoung47 View Post
https://www.toursaver.com/

Try being just a tad less cynical. This will save you money.
Thanks for the link. I never heard of the site before. I was asking the question for others who might have had the same question. There was no previous mention of the site or term "tour saver" in the thread.

How is that cynical?
prndl is offline   Reply With Quote