Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2015, 12:16 AM   #21
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
I'm looking at getting a rv style GPS. Will the units know if you have low clearances and try to avoid them? What brand and model would be a good fit? I have always had the Garmin but maybe the tom tom or rand or the good Sam might be a good choice. Any thoughts?

2017, 3500 Ram Big Horn, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, Aisin Transmission, 4:10. Curt Q20, 2014 Mountaineer 331 RLT, Sailun's on the rv and truck.
Eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 06:26 AM   #22
chris199
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17167
We have been using the Rand McNally RV version. Get low clearance warnings sll the time when on interstates and passing low bridges etc. nearby.
I know what you mean regarding low clearances on the PA turnpike. Headed from Philly to Pitt and was shocked to see low vlearances below 13'6"....more so on the shoulder.
chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 07:00 AM   #23
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
When you have the Mor Ryde IS installed they measure the height of the Rv before installation and after installation.They can adjust the height a bit depending on the model.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 07:07 AM   #24
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have never seen a overpass on a tpk or interstate under 13.6 except in a couple of cases on the shoulder. Going through Denver a huge sign said .. Trucks use center lanes because the far right lane was under 13.6.

We use the Garman 465T trucker GPS. and you enter all your dimensions.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 09:02 AM   #25
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
Hello again. SORRY to keep reposting this but we just had some one leave our park and decided to pull through a non pull through site and took the air off the camper along with 10 feet of the roof. So remember snow birds as well as the rest "WATCH THE CLEARENCE" and look before you leave..
2017, 3500 Ram Big Horn, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, Aisin Transmission, 4:10. Curt Q20, 2014 Mountaineer 331 RLT, Sailun's on the rv and truck.
Old 04-24-2015, 03:33 AM   #26
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
One reason why I use Pilot or Flying J to fuel up at. There are a few other stations I use and if not sure, the wife gets out and checks as I pull forward. In the video it looks like the front cap is ripped off. Remember 5th wheels don't track like a travel trailer and you need to swing extra wide when turning.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 04:49 AM   #27
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
Its that time of year again. look before you move.
Old 04-20-2016, 04:20 PM   #28
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Yup, only stop at truck stops for refueling otherwise, if I'm towing ALWAYS avoid any business with an overhang!!! I'm trusting that when enroute, all thruway underpasses, will fit my rig so I don't worry about them.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 04:33 PM   #29
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
My wife was reading an old fashion map while driving on Parkway in NJ. I had moved to center lane because the overpass ahead was 12 6 at each end. My wife looked up, saw the bridge and sign on overpass, screamed then ducked down in the cab! I laughed and said, you are fine hon, it's the poor guy behind us who gets hit with debris! She
Punched my arm and said warn me next time !!! Lol
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 02:21 PM   #30
Wheelhouse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11462
I wish I could remember where I was back east, when a guy was honking his horn for me to pull over. I did and he informed me that the highway we were on was a no truck, trailer or vehicle pulled trailer road because of the low-low clearances of over passes and I was going to get a big fat ticket, so I hot off at off ramp. Apparently, when they had built-up the pavement, they didn't realize they were lowering the clearances of the overpasses. If anyone knows where this is, please pass the location on. Also, exit 147 I think in Arizona has a low NO clearance rr overpass. I have a story for that one. The highway sign indicated trailer camping???
Wheelhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 06:42 PM   #31
Bill.vannuys
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17706
I use the Rand McNally RVND 7720 that allows me to enter my Unit height, width, propane capacity, etc. and "allegedly" puts me on a good route. I trust it sometimes, but other times not at all so far as road choices and clearances. It has given me reason not to trust it. It does have nice features like the campground directory and I can actually display the weather as an overlay.

So, I usually enter my trips into an online travel planning tool that provides warnings of tunnels, bridges, etc. with low clearances to double check my GPS and make any route adjustments.

I still never fully trust the tools, and my wife helps me watch all upcoming clearances when not on the interstates. I have trouble believing the clearance signs sometimes...what if they just paved the road and forgot to change the clearance sign?

2014 3735MK Legacy, Sailun 637s, TST 507RV TPMS, 2 Battle Born 100 AMP Lithium Batteries, Slide Toppers
2015 Chevy 3500 LTZ, 6.6L Duramax 4WD, CC, LB, SRW with Allison Transmission
Bill.vannuys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 06:55 AM   #32
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
I posted this last fall. While driving in Northern N Y I drive under a low bridge. I am 13.5 tall and I think the bridge was about 12.8 tall where I hit it do to the damage. sat antenna and top of AC gone. No roof damage so was lucky there. Repair was $3700.00 but $1500.00 of that was an up date to the sat antenna. As a side note the Good Sam insurance company paid about $1750.00 I have $1000.00 deductible. I just got my renewal and the insurance price when up from $465.00 to $1150.00. Guess I will be looking for another insurance company.
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 05:31 PM   #33
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
On tonight's news Cal Trans is spending 9.6 million dollars to lower freeways under over passes in Northern California. Up to seven inches in some locations. Guess nobody did the math after the last repaving projects ! Several accidents over last couple years, all stated trucks were too high! Guess someone is in trouble!
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 06:06 AM   #34
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831

Caltrans does not repave the roadway beneath a bridge/overpass when the highway is repaved. Look close the next time you drive on one and notice the original cement roadway with asphalt leading up to it. Often there is a significant bump when making the transition due to the differences (I-5 is a major example). The primary reason is to not affect the existing clearance. Plus they save big $$$ by not having to change all the signs.

I haven't heard about a $9.0M project. There is a soon to start project to raise 6 overpasses and lower the roadbed on 3 more on I-80. That project is a $30M effort. The project will raise the clearance to 16' 6" from the current minimum of 14' 9". The intent is to benefit interstate commerce (movement of commercial modular buildings is the example given) and national security, both of which occasionally require oversized loads.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 12:22 PM   #35
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
Just a quick update re my post on the up charge to my insurance due to driving under a low bridge. I had GoodSam $465.00 before the accident $1150.00 renewed upcharge. I whent to AAA and got it for $588.00 and I made sure they knew about the accident even had them check on my drivers license. So all is good.
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 04:54 PM   #36
Wheelhouse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11462
Oh yeah, on another side note here. Stay out of the neighborhoods in New Orleans. While there we missed our turn for the freeway, so did a turnaround through a neighborhood and didn't notice the high power lines sagging low enough to catch my A/C unit and yanked the power lines from the pole rather then the house. Unfortunately the occupant of the house was an elderly lady on a breathing machine, deaf and couldn't speak, she was not harmed. Police report was written on a torn piece of spiral notepaper, lol. Also, the electric company refused any responsibility because they hadn't any reports of sagging lines. The lineman came out and raised the telephone lines and made sure no more were going to a problem. Last inspection of lines was a year ago then. It was only $150 to reseal and rest the A/C. Being in California, it wasn't worth the fight. Lesson paid.
Wheelhouse is offline   Reply With Quote