Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2014, 02:23 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Debit, cash at Pilot and Flying J questions

What are your ideas on buying fuel, concerning cash or debit cards, This discussion does not include credit cards.
my first thought is paying cash does get you maybe a 6 cent discount
And with a debit card loaded with 4 or 5 hundred dollars, do you have to worry about them holding a certain amount of money in that account until it clears, or how does that work? I read where a guy at Flying J had $151 held on his card in addition to the money he charged off of it for fuel over a week-end. Isolated event?

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 02:39 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
No it's not an isolated event. When you fuel up and for a lot of other show your card in advance stuff they put a hold on whatever amount the pump is set to shut off on and it may take a day or two before that hold is released. Many pumps have a small notice on them somewhere. $151 is kind of high, but he may have been in the truck or RV lanes. I've seen $90 frequently. Also, some places won't give you the cash discount if you use a debit card. We have the Pilot/Flying J card from Good Sam and get a greater discount and don't have to worry about a hacker getting into my checking account. We had our discover card # stolen from a gas station in Georgia and used to buy a bunch of stuff. Got with Discover and didn't pay a dime of it. A friend of ours got their debit card # stolen in a similar way and had their checking account cleared out. They eventually got most of it back, but it took a while and they bounced a house payment and a car payment before they even knew it had happened.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 03:12 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Good info Dick, is the total fee higher getting a card from good Sam?
Old 11-22-2014, 03:34 AM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I will not use Debit because it is deducted immediately. One time I had $500 deducted at truck pump and returned three or four days later. Their computer slow. I use the Pilot/FlyingJ RV credit card which gives me cash price and $.08 cents off the cash price. The credit card has $1000 limit per month unless I pay it off early. That way I also have better documentation and tracking of my expenses.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 03:38 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Hi John, good info as well, I really hate to go to a credit card. That one sounds attractive, but I just hate to go to credit even if we pay it back at the end of the month.
Just my personal preference.
Old 11-22-2014, 06:39 AM   #6
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
We too have and use the GoodSam/Pilot-Flying J card. Used it as much as possible on our recent all summer trip. We do everything online with them, so when the statement post I just log in and pay it online through our checking account. Eight cents a gallon off the cash price make a pretty good deal, plus you pull into the truck pump, swipe your card, enter you PIN, fuel up, and go. No need to go inside unless you want a hard copy receipt, I just right the amount in a note pad and enter into our Quicken data base that evening.
Old 11-22-2014, 06:57 AM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
That 8 cents off the cash price is VERY attractive. Sue would go nuts if we didn't get a receipt, but no big deal to go inside I guess.
1,000 miles, (IF) 10 MPG, 100 gallons, 8 Cents: $8.00? What would the card associated cost and fees be? 0 if you pay it off at the end of the month?
Old 11-22-2014, 07:24 AM   #8
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Ozz-- We have the Pilot/Flying J credit card also and there is not fee or associated cost with the card. We get our statement via internet and I pay the bill via USPS. Since I'm a retired carrier I like to us them as much as possible and make sure my retirement check keeps coming! I've had no problems with it and it's really easy. I do get a receipt each and every time I fill just by going in to the desk and asking for one. I also like to keep track of what I'm putting on the card so I'm not surprised at the time the bill pops up on the computer!
By the way, this is NOT the RV card that you get discounts for using it but an actual credit card from Pilot/Flying J! You actually get more of a discount by using the credit card rather than the user card.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 07:54 AM   #9
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks Rondo, enjoyed the PM
Old 11-22-2014, 09:06 AM   #10
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
We recently had our debit card compromised, so we no longer use it for purchases. In our case we have more fraud protections with our credit card. If you decide to use your debit card for the cash savings option, you had better check with the counter clerk first. We have had some places that advertise the split cash/credit price to deny us the cash price for using the debit card. For them it was paper money only to get the discount.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 09:35 AM   #11
Charli
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14048
We got the Fling J card with our Good Sam membership but have only used it a few times so far. They Flying J debits my bank account each month for the accumulated purchases. Works ok if we are towing all day but once we are unhooked we look for the lowest price. Often .20-.30 cents cheaper when off the Interstate
Charli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 10:08 AM   #12
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

That 8 cents off the cash price is VERY attractive. Sue would go nuts if we didn't get a receipt, but no big deal to go inside I guess.
1,000 miles, (IF) 10 MPG, 100 gallons, 8 Cents: $8.00? What would the card associated cost and fees be? 0 if you pay it off at the end of the month?
To get 8 cents off you must be buying diesel, be a Good Same Life member and use the Pilot/Flying J credit card
http://www.goodsamclub.com/fuelsavings/
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 01:58 PM   #13
stengels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14162
Send a message via AIM to stengels
We got a "rewards" credit card from Bank of Am. Use it only for gas (diesel). Get 3% discount on gas purchases (calculates to .10 - .12 savings per gallon. Get all the safety benefits of a credit card and nothing extra withheld at the time of purchase. Pay it off at the end of the month. No annual charge.
Old 11-22-2014, 04:09 PM   #14
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
We use the COSTCO AX card and get 4% off of each gallon. Our last trip Diesel averaged $3.79 that is 15 cents a gallon back.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 02:06 AM   #15
jfaberna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13909
Just a few comments on Debit cards. A young friend of mine works in a bank fraud department. She is actively trying to get people to NOT use their debit card except to redraw cash from an ATM or present it inside a bank for account identification. A merchant can withdraw all of your cash from your checking account. If you can get it back, it requires a lot of waiting, while your checks start bouncing for other legit items.

I've also seen signs at gas stations that say they consider Debit cards the same a Credit cards with no cash only discounts.
jfaberna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 02:19 AM   #16
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
We also use the Flying J/Pilot with our credit card. Not only do we get the Flying J discount but a discount from Chase. Every other quarter we get cash back based on fuel purchases. Also with a credit card it's much easier to protest a charge than with a debit. I only use debit when I want cash back.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 02:21 AM   #17
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
There would be no way I would give authorization to Flying J or anyone else to withdraw money from any account I have.
We have never had a debit card, doesn't look like I will start now. As I stated, I want to get away from credit cards, so will probably just use cash when we travel.
My initial thought was just to pre-load a card to use for fuel, but If I bought a $500 card, bought $200 worth of fuel in a day, they could put a hold on the balance of $300 if I am understanding the process??
Old 11-23-2014, 06:37 AM   #18
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Jim-- We pay our Pilot/Flying J credit card off monthly and that way there is no finance charge and I DO NOT let them take it out of any account. I write the check and send it to their headquarters in Utah each time I receive a statement via the internet. They do not bill you via USPS. Besides the 8 cents per gallon off at the pump, and that comes up automatically when you swipe your card, you also get discounts from the store when you purchase items from there too but I do not remember what that % amount is! I really like the credit card but never thought about doing it the way Dick and Louise do it. I might be a better savings. May have to look into it!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 04:21 AM   #19
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Ozz, We, too, use the Pilot/Flying J RV Plus credit card, and like it a lot. Used only for fuel at their truck stops. I think the actual discount is 9 cents off the CASH price! When towing we use the truck lanes. As was stated, you do have to go inside if you want a paper receipt. We record all purchases in our truck and RV logs, anyway. Pay off the statement every month. The $1,000/mo. limit can be eliminated if you use "Autopay." We do not, however. Pay ours online. Works great for us, and we like the discount off the cash price!
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 05:20 AM   #20
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
What Capn chris said. We have the $1000 limit and receive the monthly bill via email and then we send in the payment electronic through our bank account. This is how we pay all of our bills.
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote