Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2004, 07:44 AM   #21
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
Northstar,

Have you ever seen the Northern Lights up close and personal?

I would love to see them live!

Montana_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 02:12 AM   #22
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by fla native

Northstar,

Have you ever seen the Northern Lights up close and personal?

I would love to see them live!
Here in northern NY we have seen the Northern Lites many times but I am told they don't compare to what you see in northern Canada and Alaska. Can't wait to see them up close and personal.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 10:57 AM   #23
thoun
Established Member

M.O.C. #1747
Hello fellow Montana owners. Northstar, we were in your neighborhood the last two weeks in June. Just off north 49th State road. We are seeing many Montana's here in Alaska. Yesterday we went digging razor back clams at Clam Gulch in the Kenai peninsula and the campground hosts were living in a Montana. Clamming was quite an experience and we will do that again. The Mileppost that I mentioned in my previous post can be found on line at www.milepost.com. The roads are good here. The weather has been warm and sunny. The mountains are still green with some snow and the Kenai and Russian rivers are aquamarine. Stunning scenery! We did some salmon fishing at the Kenai-Russian river junction. Great fun combat fishing and good eating too. I'll update every few days.
thoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 09:10 PM   #24
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Steves, I see some of you are asking good questions about travel in Alaska. Well I will respond with some bits of information.
Number one would be don't even try to bring firearms thru the border into Canada. As a rule you can't inport hand guns into Canada. You can bring one rife with you, but you must declare it at the border. If you insist on bringing firearms into Canada there are excellent guide lines in the "Milepost" on the proper procedures. The Canadians are very serious about firearms. As I find time I will post more information.
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 09:22 PM   #25
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Fla native and Glenn and Lorraine,
You cannot believe how striking and beautiful the northern lights can be. The best time I have witnessed them is during winter months around 2-3am. The lights have many bright colors and appear to dance in the sky. Perhaps another way to describe them, would be the lights shimmer or are wavy ribbons of different colors. I can say without a doubt that they are breath taking.
Old 07-09-2004, 08:06 PM   #26
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Future Alaska travelers another update from Northstar. You need to plan anywhere from two to four weeks once you arrive here in state. There is just so much to see. We only have a few highways but they cover a lot of ground. The end of the road is in Homer a small town at the bottem of the Kenai Peninsula. The northern part of the state will be a trip up to Fairbanks, Alaska. Another part of Alaska to visit would be to Valdez, where the oil terminal off-loads the oil onto tankers. As you travel between these locations, there are many other great places to visit. We need more visitors up here so you all are welcome.
Old 07-14-2004, 01:27 PM   #27
Diamond
Established Member

M.O.C. #715
We too would be interested in a MOC caravan to Alaska. Have been planning to do the trip in 2005 and met another Montana couple that want to do it also, but we would both like to have someone else nearby as it is a unique trip, so have talked about going together and we are both researching it now. Have talked about taking the ferry up and then drive back. We have spoken with a number of people who have made the trip and have gotten alot of tips and suggestions from them.

We would be willing to help organize a MOC caravan. We are new full-timers and are presently in the Canadian Maritimes and will be for the nest 4 weeks. Will check the MOC site as Canadian campground Internet access permits till we get back into the states in mid-August.

Ruth & Jack Diamond
2004 Big Sky Montana 3295RK
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 w/Pull-Rite SuperGlide
Diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 01:33 AM   #28
DrivesBGM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3
I am starting to put together my plans for a "Trip Of A Lifetime" which will include Alaska. I am gathering information and compiling an itinerary using Streets & Trips 2004. I could be forced into retirement at anytime but suspect that it will be a few years before I'll be able to actually have the time to travel this extensively. (Elderly parents need TLC at this time!)

So while I may not be able to join you physically, I am certainly in the planning mode and with you in spirit!

Craig
DrivesBGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 09:10 PM   #29
Go Pokes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1645
We just returned from Alaska on July 15, 2004. Like Northstar stated do not try to take firearms into Canada and you need to plan at least 2 to 3 weeks once you arrive in Alaska. It will take at least 4 days once you cross into Canada to reach Alaska. The road was in much better shape than in August, 2002-- but there were still steep grades (at least one of 10%), bumpy pavement, and shape curves. We had one chip in our windshield, but no chips or dents in the 3400. We did have some cabinet latches pull loose, but no other problems.

You will need proper documentation to enter Canada. This documentation should include everyone's birth certificate to show citizenship and a photo ID, a Canadian insurance varification form (your insurance agent can provide this), health certificates for pets (another special Canadian form which your vet can provide) and proof of current rabies vacinations and a notoraized letter if children are traveling with someone other than parents. We had all these documents in sheet protectors in a 3-ring notebook. Each time at customs the officer thanked us for having the documents in this form. Canadian Customs asked: If we had any firearms, explosives, mace, alcohol or tobacco. What was the purpose of our trip. Our grandsons were traveling with us, therefore they asked where the father was. Finally they wanted to know if we had more than $10,000 cash. After answer these questions we were allowed to enter Canada. We will be glad to answer questions about our trip. The trip to Alaska is wonderful. The scenery is beautiful. You are right it is a trip of a life time. We want to make the trip again with at least 4 weeks to stay in Alaska.
Go Pokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 12:11 PM   #30
Montana_107
Established Member

M.O.C. #107
During 2001 my wife, sister-in-laws (2) took an eight week trip from Derby, Kansas to Fairbanks, Anchorage, Kenai, Artic Circle, Denali and a host of other things. We had a F250 V10 pulling a 26ft Jayco trailer.
June of 2005 we again are leaving Derby for the great north of Canada and Alaska. We are now going in a F250 diesel and pulling a 30.5fks Montana Travel Trailer.
A Caravan would be nice as it is a lot of fun to be with a group of people who have a common purpose.
We could arrange to have a common meeting place or have common dates plus decided if everyone wanted to split up when we got there or meet to come back together.
It would be nice to have the security of a group for mechanical problems or just having social fun.
If someone would like to organize a group or I can keep this thread posted as what my plans are how they are going.
My on caution note on a trip now is if you have a problem with truck or trailer fix it now. On the road in northen Canada or Alaska is not good.
Please advise me if anyone is interested @
fknipfer1@cox.net

Montana_107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 10:40 AM   #31
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We're having a ball planning our trip to Alaska in 2005. We hope to leave the Midwest on July 1st and drive up and back. I'm sure the trip on the Marine Ferry is beautiful, but there are too many sights to see in British Columbia, including Vancouver, to spend time on a ship. I'm using the Microsoft Streets and Trips program to plan our route. It's an amazing program that includes campgrounds, museums, landmarks, restaurants, even rest stops. We'll have an itinerary but will always be very flexible with our plans.

I think it would be fun and more safe than traveling alone to have a "loose" caravan that includes several gathering spots along the way. We could check up on one another but still see places where others might not want to go. Then we'd all meet at a designated spot and stay with the group or go off alone for another day trip. Is that as clear as mud?
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 04:51 PM   #32
Random Line
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7
OntMont,

We met a retired 84 year young fiver driver at a campground at Spearfish,SD a few weeks ago where he had just bought another retirement home (Townhouse) returning after 30 years in Alaska. (Mr. Fred S.)

He said that he had made the trip up and back on the Alcan Highway several times and while pulling a Keystone fifth wheel. Not a Montana but if I remember correctly a lighter version. Maybe an Everest or Cougar. I saw it but forget.
He said that the asphalt is not too bad and the trip was do-able.

Mr. S. will now be wintering in Tucson and summering at Spearfish in the Northern Black Hills and towing that same Keystone between.

The Route to Alaska can't be too bad I'd say.

Random Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 01:05 PM   #33
Montana_107
Established Member

M.O.C. #107
Well haven't heard much from anyone about them really going to Alaska in 2005. But sometimes its just dreams instead of reality.
Been to Alaska and back with my family and this time my wife and I are going by ourselves. That way we can take as long as we want to get there and back. One of the problems we had the first time was we were always hurrying, this time if we want to spend a week somewhere we will. The best maps we found for the Nortwest section of Canada were from the AAA as no one seems to have good maps of a section where there aren't many roads. I guess it would be hard to get lost when there is only one road to travel from Dawson Creek north.
Its not a hard trip and the roads were great all except for about a hundred miles altogether.
Still leaving the first of June 2005.
Lots of luck to everyone
fknipfer

PS, 30.5fks and 2002 F250SD CC 7.3L 4X2
Probably can make it.
One suggestion is to stay healthy the long trip as the Candian Medical System will not treat you unless you pay in advance. They do not accept USA medical plans, so cash only or Canadian Insurance. I suppose they would treat you if you were bleeding on their floors but I'm not sure.

Old 08-10-2004, 02:53 PM   #34
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
fknipfer,

On an eight week trip to Alaska in 1998 my wife fell and sustained a concussion 12 miles east of Smithers B.C. She was taken by ambulance to the hospital in Smithers for the usual xrays & lab tests. They asked for my insurance information and $100 (Canadian) to admit her and it was put on a credit card. When she was released the next day I asked the doctor about her portion of the charges and she said "don't worry about it now, enjoy your trip and I'll send you a bill in the mail." We submitted the bills to our insurance provider when we got home and everything was paid. I would suggest checking with your provider to see how they would cover the situation if needed on your trip.

On another note, we were advised by our bank before we left to put all purchases on a credit card during our trip as the charges are calculated at that days exchange rate. If you need Canadian cash, use an ATM, the conversion is taken care of by your bank.

Have a great trip.

Don
Searchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 01:29 AM   #35
Montana_1280
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1280
Also planning Alaska in 2005. Retiring at the end of the year. Plan to leave Virginia in late April or early May and work our way north. Not getting in any hurry. All info appreciated.
Montana_1280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 05:56 PM   #36
Montana_107
Established Member

M.O.C. #107
Don,
Went into the hospital at Whitehorse with an 11 year old boy that had pnemonia although at the time we didn't know it. They wanted $250 cash money up front before they would even start typing the admit forms. We finally got in after the payment and then the doctor who treated him wanted $50 up front before he would treat him. They would not accept any US insurance cards or forms.
Well to make a long story short the Canadian doctor diagnosed him as having camper cough and advised us to have him sleep in the truck. unbelievable but true. We hurried like hell the next morning and went to Anchorage as fast as we could go. We went immediately to an American hospital emergency room, they took one look at the boy and immediately took him into Xray without even asking for insurance cards or money. About 30 minutes later they brought him back with a diagnosis of Pnemonia. Started filling him up with antibodics and gave us several prescriptions we had filled. Made us keep him inside for a week and warm. A week later we could go on with our trip and everyone had a good time.
By the way the Alaskan doctor who looked at the papers filled out by the Canadian doctor told me candidly that this was the first time he had ever heard of camper cough and that I was smart not to have made him sleep in the truck or he didn't know how bad the boy could have gotten.
So please, I just don't think Canadian doctors and hospitals are up to the same standards as US hospitals.
One good experience yours, one bad experience mine that's only 50% not to good a quality rating.
TMHO
fknipfer

Old 08-14-2004, 04:16 AM   #37
Random Line
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7
[quote]Originally posted by fknipfer

Don,
Went into the hospital at Whitehorse with an 11 year old boy that had pnemonia although at the time we didn't know it. They wanted $250 cash money up front before they would even start typing the admit
-------------------------------------------

Glad everything turned out OK.

I guess that I wouldn't be a fan of government heath care system either.

So for the results are one good doctor and one dangerous one.
Not adequate numbers to be a representative sample for the whole basket full.

Very happy for you.
Random Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 06:12 AM   #38
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
Frank,

Sorry you had such an unpleasant experience. I certainly hope that kind of treatment isn't normal or that we were just lucky. I guess we should all expect the unexpected.

Don
Searchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 06:16 AM   #39
thoun
Established Member

M.O.C. #1747
Dear Montana Owners. We have spent the last three months tooling around Alaska and have seen many Montana owners. All agreed that it was great touring the state and no major problems. We are in Whitehorse headed back to northern Wisconsin and when we get home I'll post a detailed trip report and answer any questions you have if you are interested. The only dilemna for us is "how soon can we make this trip again?" Three months was definately not enough to see and do everything!
thoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 02:44 PM   #40
Montana_25
Established Member

M.O.C. #25
We just returned from a 3 month trip to Alaska with our Montana. What a great trip. Do NOT bypass anything. I have a trip itinary and spreadsheet of expenses if you need it.
Montana_25 is offline   Reply With Quote