Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HEY KEYSTONE! > What I'd like to say if...
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2007, 06:26 PM   #1
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Thank You Team Montana

I want to thank Mike of Team Montana at Keystone for agreeing to send a replacement 50 amp power cord and a day/night shade to a dealer in Bend Oregon to coincide with my visit there. BTW, these were originally supposed to have been ordered by Foleys RV in Burlington, WA. They were not and the manager there would not order them without me sending the defective ones to him first. This was after their service department checked the above items. When I asked the manager, Jim Fine, how I was supposed to power my coach until he sent me a new cord, he just said that was his policy.

exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 04:30 AM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Now I'm wishing I had mentioned our 50 amp cord to our dealer. Naturally we're 2100 miles away from him now. Ours came from the factory with a gap between the plug and the heavy black cord. You can see the wires in the gap. I have taped it to protect it but now think I should have addressed this. We're way beyond the 90 days for this kind of thing and our one year warranty is up the end of this month, long before we get back to our dealer.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 04:40 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Steve, the individual wires are insulated well, I wouldn't think it will ever get worse, and certainly is completely safe, if the connecting terminals are sealed, but I would want it completely sealed as well.
Maybe they wouldn't be too strict on the warranty period, I would check with a local Montana dealership where you are up there in Crab Cake, and Lobster land. Try any yet?????
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 02:19 PM   #4
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
They did a sloppy job on our cord too. I've been going to pull the end and re-work it, but it has not been at the top of the list. Just one more thing that should have never left the factory with out being corrected.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 05:18 PM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Steve,
We're still using our original 50-amp cord. It also had the insulation pull back from the plug on both ends shortly after we started full timing. I merely took the 50-amp plug off and used a short piece of rubber insulation off a scrap cable, taped it up real good and put the plug back on. I then taped it some more and it has held really good all these years. Same on the other end with tape.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 05:38 PM   #6
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
Why do they have to be so cheep on the things that stand out , our cord shorted out the 1st time i pluged it in , so with no tools as i just left the dealer by 200 miles i borrowed some tools to fix it rite but all they want is the cord back to send in before replacement , no sence i think at the rally we have to talk to montana about this
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 03:10 AM   #7
nkwist
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #821
When that happened to ours, the first dealer just wrapped it with black electrical tape. WRONG! We started having intermittent electrical problems. The next dealer unscrewed the plug end and found the wires were loose in the plug. He trimmed and resecured the wires and it's been fine ever since. (He also shook his head at the shoddy workmanship and the "easy way out" of the first dealer.
nkwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 07:02 PM   #8
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I have reworked mine twice. I think it is OK now but will check new cord they are sending. If it is the same cord I will refuse and use mine. (or sell the new cord??????).....

Steve, I would do as OZZ says and stop in at a dealer and let them submit a warranty claim to Keystone and get it on record. You can have Keystone send a new one when you are stable for awhile.....
Old 09-06-2007, 07:44 PM   #9
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Well, I received my new 50 amp power cord today and is it ever pretty and put together well. Much tougher than the original, both ends have sealed plugs and the female end has the yellow plug that screws on and has a protective sheath around the wire part (hard to explain). Suffice it to say that it is a total upgrade from the orig.

My thanks to TEAM MONTANA for forwarding this cord and my day night shade to Bend OR for me. They were both installed today by All-Seasons RV. In and out in 4 hours, plus a shower leak and annual service on Fridge and HWH......

Phil
Old 09-07-2007, 01:45 AM   #10
BillE
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2594
Kinda off topic...I've had one dealing with Mr. Fine also. That was 2+ years ago, needless to say, have never returned. Same attitude as you got.

Bill
BillE is offline   Reply With Quote