Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2006, 01:50 AM   #21
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
I don't often stay at Wal-mart or rest areas but when I do I just use common sense. I have stayed at Flying J's and service areas in Ohio and felt very safe as there were other trucks and RV's there. I certainly would not stay at a Wal-mart / rest area in some remote area or in a poorly lighted remote section of the parking lot. Just use your good judgment!

Steve & Betty
2005 3400RL Montana
2006 F350 PSD SRW CC LB 4X4 King Ranch

steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 07:51 AM   #22
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Bobcat
There is a little portable alarm that is sold for when you are in a hotel rooms that work in an RV.
Happy trails.......................

Sue and Ed Rowe
Hemet California

2005 3400RL
2006 GMC 3500 Dually, D/A, Crew Cab, Long Bed
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 09:44 AM   #23
captbanjo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1269
I'll chime in as an 'expert' here. My job is Captain of Detectives, Newport Police Department, RI. Every summer we get at least a dozen of these 'accidental entries'. By that, I mean that the drunken and/or confused person enters the wrong residence with no intent of criminal action. I have never (24 yrs) seen anyone hurt in one of these incidents. Of course, it could happen, but it's not likely. Crimes are most often (not always) committed by people with a criminal mind-set. I have never traveled with a gun in an RV and I can do so any time I want. I might do just that on our next trip to FL in March. I don't judge people who do or don't. It's just that I've been carrying guns for thirty years now and they're a hindrance...did I lock it up properly?...What if someone steals it?...etc. etc. Also, I'm trained. I'm sure all of you have heard about the father or wife who accidentally shot their daughter or husband. I know I couldn't live with myself knowing that my fear killed a loved one. As for carrying it on my person...only on duty now. When I was a young detective it was off and on duty (back then I was buying drugs fairly routinely in places like Providence or Central Falls). OK, just the facts: more people die from bee stings or lightening strikes than die from camper attacks by crazed killers. Of course, if you're the one getting attacked, you'll not see it quite that way I'm sure. The real weapon is located directly in front of the driver and is circular. We just had three three accidents in my city this week. Two people in critical condition and one dead. No shootings this week. Come to think of it, the last shooting I recall was two years ago and in that time span, Newport has had hundreds of accidents, mostly minor and some deadly. My two cents.....

Wayne and Cathy Morrison
2005 3400RL
2004 GMC Sierra 2500 HD 8 cyl diesel
Duramax/Allison
captbanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 09:57 AM   #24
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Parrothead,

Got an alarm system and her name is Cocoa. She is only 18 pounds but her bark sounds like a monster.

Tom and Betty
1997 F250 PSD/AutoTranny
DIY Exaust Brake w/TC lockup
AutoMeter Tranny/EGT Gage
Translife Tranny Cooler
Superchips Towsafe
16K Draw-tite Slider
2000 Montana 2850RK
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 10:43 AM   #25
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
You can get security alarms at radio shack that are triggered by movement or vibration.

Steve & Betty
2005 3400RL Montana
2006 F350 PSD SRW CC LB 4X4 King Ranch
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 10:44 AM   #26
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
captbanjo...We have several friends who are in law enforcement and many of them express similar thoughts as you. Newport ,RI sounds like a very nice place to live.However we live in N.W Ohio Near Cleveland, Ohio Lorain, Ohio, Elyria. Ohio . We have several murders,Shootings, rapes, Gang related crimes, druge related crimes every day and every week. As a school bus driver who had a run in "the combat zone" of a nearby city I saw drug deals near every day and once had opposing drug gangs cease fire till my bus got by.There is a story in todays paper from Lorain, Ohio a common story. A police officer responding to a "riot" in the area had obscenities shouted at him, was spit upon , beaten, etc. Just another day for the P.O. I do not advocate carrying or the use of a firearm..It scares the heck out of me when I feel I must (I have the license) But I do not live in your nice town. We have one of those door alarms that you hang on you camper door and they are vey effective..They would scare off 99% of the folks attempting to break in..what do you do about the other 1%?????

Rich& Helen N.Ridgeville,Ohio.

F-350SD, Lariat, V-10,4:30 Diff, tow command Long bed, Crew Cab Dually, 06 3400RL
Mor-Ryde Pin Box

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 11:41 AM   #27
captbanjo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1269
Hi Rich. You might want to read my message again. I mention that I'm going to carry a gun in the near future and I point out that I don't judge anybody in either way. Yes, I know Newport is not like NYC or LA or even Boston but every cop knows that his or her fate is up for grabs if they do the job long enough. In the nineties, my partner shot a man in the head after we made a drug buy from him and he attempted to grab a gun. In the same decade, DEA pronounced Newport as only second in the level of cocaine available. We have a large (for a small city) amount of subsidized housing that has been inflitrated by some bad elements as well. But you're right, nowhere near the big city problems and I am thankful for that. As for big crime...we lived in the Phillippines in the seventies (I was in the USAF law enforcement division) and the things I saw there made me realize that the value of life in our country is light years higher than that of some others. People simply 'went missing' routinely. Murders and atrocities were commonplace and questions weren't asked for long. The stories about that aren't fit for this site. So, I guess the point I was trying to make is be smart and stay safe but not at the price of paranoia (not accusing you of that). Like most things in life, it's a balancing act. Take care,

Wayne and Cathy Morrison
2005 3400RL
Duramax/Allison
Old 08-01-2006, 02:47 PM   #28
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Yes I understand.. I grew up with a kid that was in Law Enforcement for over 30 years.Your comments brought him to mind as you echoed him. He never fired his weapon in the line of duty for over 20 years then he had to shoot a 22 year old kid high on drugs who had already shot him once (vest) and was about to shoot him again.He never got over that. I guess I have seen far to much of the dark side of people and I have choosen not to be a victim. I did not choose to have a weapon in my camper the bad guy made that choice for me. I am not at all paranoid about it..it is just a reality issue. Folks have to understand, as I am sure you do, That the individual on drugs and in need of the next fix will do anything to anybody to get the bucks to score. Your life or the life of your family means nothing to them.. such is life...

F-350SD, Lariat, V-10,4:30 Diff, tow command Long bed, Crew Cab Dually, 06 3400RL
Mor-Ryde Pin Box

Old 08-01-2006, 05:53 PM   #29
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Until I read this thread I had even forgotten we have the shotgun under the bed. It is always with us but we never see it. I am NRA certified and will use it if necessary/. We carry more for animals than people. We took it to Montana and just didn't take it out. We will apply for the permit for Canada when we go to Alaska. We do not stay in WalMart or Rest Stops so I hope we never need it for humans.
Happy trails.......................

Sue and Ed Rowe
Hemet California

2005 3400RL
2006 GMC 3500 Dually, D/A, Crew Cab, Long Bed
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 06:14 PM   #30
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I guess if I do not show up at the rally, someone come looking. I will most likely be in a Wal*Mart parking lot not breathing...

2004 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD CrewCab Duramax
2004 Montana 3400RL
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 06:38 PM   #31
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
Montana Sky,
It might be a good idea to let people know which ones you'll be stopping at, in order that they can narrow the field. Thanks for lightening up the subject!

AL and Nita
2003 Chevy Dually
2005 3670RL
TheCoachPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 06:59 PM   #32
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Al & Nita,
Let me see,

Day 1~ Billings MT
Day 2~ Rapid City, SD - staying with friends. (hope the coach fits in the driveway)
Day 3~ Rapid City
Day 4~ Des Moines, IA
Day 5~ Chicago, IL - staying with family until the rally.

2004 Montana 3400RL
Old 08-02-2006, 09:12 AM   #33
captbanjo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1269
Al, too bad you're so far from me or I'd bang on your door in the middle of the night and scream, "Let me in!"

Wayne and Cathy Morrison
2005 3400RL
Duramax/Allison
Old 08-02-2006, 09:35 AM   #34
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
LOL!!

2004 Montana 3400RL
Old 08-02-2006, 09:52 AM   #35
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
How about a big sign to hang on the door that says beware Vicious dog.

Mor-Ryde Pin Box

Old 08-02-2006, 12:15 PM   #36
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
How about a recording of a vicious dog growling and the sign. Play the recording should anyone come knocking unexpectedly.

Glenn
Montana Owners Home Page
RV Related Links

Glenn and Lorraine
M O C - 4 2 0
We are using a 2005 White GMC Sierra SLE 2500HD Extended Cab, Short Bed, 4X4
with the Duramax/Allison Combo and Firestone Ride-Rite air bags
to drag around our 2004 Montana 2955RL 32'
using a PullRite 16K SuperGlide Automatic Sliding Hitch

"We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us!"

You know you are retired when you wake up in the morning with
nothing to do and go to bed at night with it only half done.

BUT, Keep in mind, doing nothing can be a very
tiresome job because you can't stop to rest

Click on the Flags for the Forecast
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 01:47 PM   #37
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
My goodness, you guys are going to scare the h_ ll out of someone, then they wont be coming to the rally at all. lol! I am going to use common sense and park where I feel it is safe, and what happens from there is in the higher hands.

Let me recap and see if I have this all correct~

If I attempt to attend the rally I can have the following things go wrong,
1~ tire blow out causing a great deal of damage to the coach
2~ brakes fail after I have them adjusted and the voltage check
3~ killed in a Wal*Mart or FlyingJ parking lot because I wanted to get some sleep
4~ gun crazy people out there in rv's might kill me because they can
5~ anything else I am missing???

I think after reading the past few threads, I think I am better off canceling my plans, staying home and selling the rv. LOL!!!! Sounds like rv'ing is not safe anymore... =) LOL!

2004 Montana 3400RL
Old 08-02-2006, 02:12 PM   #38
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
Dave, If you get the siren, the sign, and the recording of the vicious dog barking, you won't need a gun and you should be perfectly safe. Also, if you don't have a window near the door to peek out make sure you also get the peep-hole installed as you might enjoy seeing the reaction to all of the above!!! Hope you have a great time at the rally.

AL and Nita
2003 Chevy Dually
2005 3670RL
TheCoachPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 02:17 PM   #39
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I think I have laughed more today because of the MOC, than I have in the last year. Now, I wonder if I am still welcome at the fall rally if I have a different rv?? Sounds like a motorhome is a safer option, guess I better go ahead with the Prevost H3-45 plans. =) LOL!

If there is anything else I need to have installed or buy so I will be safe on the road, please keep them coming. =)

2004 Montana 3400RL
Old 08-02-2006, 02:20 PM   #40
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Wait, If I have to get all these things I am going to start unloading some other stuff. The carrying capacity is close to max. LOL!

2004 Montana 3400RL