Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2006, 12:42 PM   #41
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Where were you guys when we were driving to Alaska last year? You have a great adventure ahead of you and sights like you've never seen before. But you must take it slow on those bumpy roads. Virgil, 250 miles is a LONG trip under those conditions. One day going south on the Cassiar Hwy, we have enough jolts after only 150 miles and stopped because we couldn't take it anymore. The trip is more enjoyable if you slow down and smell the roses and survive the frost heaves.

If you saw our blog, we wrote a greeting to friends at home in the dirt on the truck after driving those roads. That's why most of the RV parks allow you to wash your rig, sometimes for a price.

jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 12:49 PM   #42
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We had the most incrediable night last night or morning?) We drove up to the top of Dome hill in Dawson to watch the sunset. We got there at 11:30 and the sun finally went behind the mountain at 12:35am. By the time we got back to the park, it was still light out. Didn't get to sleep until after 2:00AM AND at 7:00 we took off on the Dempster Highway headed for the Arctic Circle. We did not take the Monty. I'll have pictures on our website by this evening.

Helen

PS...Judy, we really take our time. Sometimes we don't even go 50 miles. And sometimes we don't go anywhere.
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 01:01 PM   #43
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
Helen, I was just thinking how great it must be to be on your trip with so many of the MOC family there near you or will be passing you or catching up with you or.... You're by yourselves, but not. Anyway, it's way past time for me to go home. Has the fire up there that I read about near anywhere that you are??
Wifeofdano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 02:05 PM   #44
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
You're right Lisa. I love traveling this way. We can do our own thing but meet a lot of people too. They are doing a great job on keeping the fire away from the main roads. There is a slight smell in the air but sorta like a campfire. We will be getting closer to the fires next week so will have to check it our carefully. No one up hear is making a big deal about the fires. Each day, we meet people that just came from that way and they tell us it's just fine.
Helen
Old 06-15-2006, 02:14 PM   #45
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Helen, when we drove the Cassiar we averaged 35 mph or less. In other areas, especially around construction, we were lucky to travel 20 mph. I remember that area where Virgil drove as being the most boring and bumpy and it is depressing, especially when you're supposed to be on this fantastic trip. It was the area that I wrote to you about being boring. Sounds like it lived up to its reputation. I think it is also the area where we lost our water tank. In the boonies, for sure.
Old 06-15-2006, 03:01 PM   #46
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Judy, I wasn't talking about mph. I meant miles per day.
Old 06-15-2006, 03:22 PM   #47
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
That's the way to travel, Helen!
Old 06-15-2006, 05:20 PM   #48
virgil47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3846
Judy,

When you were up here last year, Miss Jo and I were sitting in North Gerogia on the side of Allmond Mountain wondering if we would ever get the chance to make it up here. God is soooo Good!
Thanks for the encouragement. I do have trouble slowing down even after 2 years of retirement but I am teachable, just slow. My wife will attest to that. We're literally taking two down days just to get "slowed down" and explore Tok. Gotta see about that fishing license tomorrow.
virgil47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 05:50 PM   #49
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We will be leaving in the morning for Tok Virgil. Never know how many days it will take us to get there but it's only 187 miles from here so should be there tomorrow. Or maybe the next day if something looks interesting along the way. We might meet yet.
Helen
Old 06-16-2006, 01:17 AM   #50
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Oh, man, I'm green with envy. It would have been such fun to meet other MOCers up north. Have a great time!

Virgil, you are right, it is one of God's greatest blessings to make that trip to Alaska and see His handiwork.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:31 AM   #51
virgil47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3846
Helen,
We've had a couple "down" days to rest and do some reality things...license plate renewals and also we needed to renew a passport. Got all that done or at least in process and so we're moving Saturday am to Fairbanks. We'll be at the Riveres Edge RV park there.
In Tok, we've stayed at the Tok RV park and there are two things you should know. First the cable TV they advertise is 5 channels. PBS, TBS, TNT, NBC and FoxNews. You should also know that the wifi they advertise costs $3.95 an HOUR or $8.95 a DAY or $16.95 for 2 days.

The big wildfire south of Fairbanks has now covered 65,000 acres. Visitors Centerhere in Tok says no danger in or around Fairbanks but there very well may be heavy smoke depending on the wind. We're gonna take our chances.
Old 06-16-2006, 04:38 PM   #52
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Virgil, we are in Tok at the Sourdough Campground trying to clean up our dirty Tana. We will probably be here for a couple of days.

Helen
Old 06-16-2006, 04:53 PM   #53
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
I am in Hinton, we are in a KOA near Highway 40. We will start toward Dawson Creek tomorrow.
Banff and Jasper N.P. were fantastic. We are trying to take our time, but I am ready to get to Alaska.
Tell me about the fires, I have not heard about them!
rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 06:52 PM   #54
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Dave, they are between Fairbanks and Denali. There was rain today so that should help a lot. It isn't stopping anybody as all of the main roads are open. From what I just learned, there art 700-800 fires in Alaska each year. These trese are like match sticks.

Helen
Old 06-17-2006, 05:30 PM   #55
krvk
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3191
We made it to the Canada border, but after they searched the pickup and Monty, they told us we couldn't go in pulling the motorcycle trailer behind the Monty. So we found a VERY nice RV Park in Oroville,WA to store the trailer and motorcycle. It is River Oaks RV Resort and it is owned by Bob & Glenda Preston, they went out of their way to accomodate us. Highly recommend, it is located in town next to the post office and the river runs right along side of it. We will try to cross the border again in the morning and make a rush for Alaska. Sure going to miss riding the bike in Alaska.
krvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 06:05 PM   #56
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Good luck krvk. I don't think you would want to have the trailer on some of these roads anyway. It may be a blessing in disgiuse. I just heard about a motor home that went off the road that we took yesterday. They were very lucky they didn't go down the mountain. Ruined the motor home though. All roads are great until past White Horse. Drive Careful.

Helen
Old 06-17-2006, 07:28 PM   #57
virgil47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3846
Helen, et.al.,
Give us a report on the Sourdough campground when you have a minute. We all have to go through Tok (rhymes with smoke)going and coming.

We made it to Fairbanks today and for 3 nights we are in the River's Edge Campground. This is a nice park. Free Cable TV and free wifi at site for about ....$27 a night Good Sam rate. We could only get 3 days here because of the summer solstace celebration in Faribanks this weekend. We want to stay in Fairbanks longer, maybe a week or more so we'll try tomorrow to find another RV park.
Old 06-18-2006, 03:24 AM   #58
virgil47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3846
Dave,

It is raining hard in Fairbanks this morning(Sunday). I don't think the forest fire is going to be of any concern after today.
Come on up and enjoy.

All,
I was really happy to discover yesterday that across the road from the entrance to this campground there is a STARBUCKS. Had to have a venti non-fat mocha extra hot with 4 shots and no whipped. It was great.
Old 06-18-2006, 07:20 AM   #59
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Virgil, you just sid the magic word. Starbucks. Let me know if you find another good park with wifi cuz we aren't far behind. Maybe I should be calling around.

Sourdough is a great park. Free wife but too many trees to get it at site. We have to come up to the office area. This ia a real campground. We are paying 25.20 (good sam) for water and electric only. This place fills up fast.
Helen
Old 06-18-2006, 07:43 AM   #60
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
There is also a great dry camping spot about 7 or 8 miles east of TOK, just before you cross the bridge over the river. It's on your left as you drive toward Alaska. There are usually seveal other rigs there so you're not along. Great for a stopover.