Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2014, 06:09 PM   #1
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Tell me if I was out of line? Really!

I have a question that might cause a heated debate. Not my goal here I assure you.

Last weekend while camping in the Lassen National Forrest ,a fellow camper got really irate over my "porch light". Not a scare light ! His site was at least 200 ft away. He said my " light kept him up all night"! I calmly told him to close his shades or roll over! He was not pleased ! So he called the Ranger on me. Ranger waited till night fall to see for himself, and then told me to "ignore the complainer". Lots of space between us, and my light was not bright enough to disturb anyone in his opinion.

Ok if your next to me, I leave it off, but hey was I out of line here? I keep it on for security, and to assist in walking dogs at night. Not a motion light just LED porch light. If I was wrong please tell me. Thanks everyone.

Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 06:16 PM   #2
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
It'd be hard for anyone to answer that unless they were up there and experienced your porch light. The Ranger had the answer your question though. He definitely would have let you known if it was an obnoxious light or not. Your neighbor sounds like one of those that if it wasn't the light, he'd find something else to complain about.

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 06:28 PM   #3
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
Even though he was pretty far away, I'd always turn off my outside light. If I need to walk the dog in the middle of the night (she BETTER sleep through the night!) I'll turn it on while I'm out and off when I get home. Remember, not all RV window shades are made the same! But then Doug and Margee have a real good point...
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 07:01 PM   #4
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
If a RV porch light keeps a neighbor awake then my guess would be that the idiot has other problems which prevents him from sleeping anyway. That being said, in todays world if you tell that same idiot "to roll over or close his shades" instead of turning off your light, then you should be prepared for him to escalate the situation. There are all kinds of stupid crazy people out there and this guy demonstrated that he could be one of them by the simple fact that he complained about the porch light. I think your response to him Artemus was appropriate.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:32 PM   #5
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Thanks to all for responses. My DW suggested I add this for future readers. I also had the awning fully deployed. On our 3750, the awning sets very low, and does not allow direct light to leave the RV. It's directed down and projects very little light. I did not think it was that important, but I posted the additional info as directed.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:51 PM   #6
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
I always leave my LED porch light on and never had a complaint but you know what you may always find a neighbor that is just ANAL and I myself never lost a wink of sleep from someone leaving the porch light on
Old 05-28-2014, 12:54 AM   #7
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
I've experienced scare lights left on all night. That was family and I would never confront them as a stranger did you. Some people just need a reason to b****.
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 02:24 AM   #8
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
Sounds like you found a "Light pollution nut"
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 03:47 AM   #9
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
I'm with, don't rock the boat with a crazy person that obviously cannot swim in said boat. If you tip it, you may drown with them cause they are going to surely grab onto you, eh?

Too many nut cases running around. Sometimes ya just gotta smile, say, sorry, walk away and turn off the light.

Being right means little when they throw the dirt on your coffin.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 04:17 AM   #10
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I don't think you were out of line at all. There will always be someone who has nothing better to do that find something to complain about. Even is he did keep his shades open at night (for what reason I can't think of), at that distance it would not be enough light to bother anyone, especially with your awning out and low.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 04:35 AM   #11
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
Wonder what he says every month to the guy that created the Moon?

I leave mine on fairly often, particularly in winter when it gets dark early, unless I have somebody right next to me. If somebody were to complain I'd turn it off out of courtesy as I'd expect them to do for me. I do not think your response was out of line but I'm fairly sane and intelligent enough to see the logic and humor in it.
davidaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 05:49 AM   #12
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Although you say you "calmly" told him to close his shades or roll over you do not say the manner in which this person approached you about the light.
If he was polite and made the explanation that it was bothering him for whatever reason, then my opinion is you are/were out of line with firstly your comment to him and secondly your refusal to turn off the light.

When we are camping we leave our bedroom windows open and our shades up so that the lovely fresh air can enter our bedroom, when we are camping where there are no campground lights we enjoy the complete darkness and prefer not to see porch lights on around us and we would be very upset if someone had their unit lit up like a Christmas tree as some insist on doing.

I have had to take my dog out from time to time during the night, not often thankfully but when I do, I may or may not turn the light on, however I do not leave it on. If the monthly light from above happens to be on then I don't feel the need for a light.

This person going to the Ranger was a whole lot better situation than confronting you in a manner in which things might have escalated to who knows what degree.

There is no need for a heated debate but you asked for opinions.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 05:52 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We turn ours off.I do not know why we just always have.we have never deen bothered by a porch litei
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 06:41 AM   #14
Virginia Young
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14096
Hmmm . . . Wonder if I can go tell the railroad to turn down their train horns. Sometimes those wake me up . . .
Virginia Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 07:45 AM   #15
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
LOL LOL yep sounds like a wack job to me lol lol.... I don't leave my flood lights on but I do leave my yellow porch light on where ever I go. I also put those colored rope lights on the ground and put around my trailer. Never had anyone complain. If he wants the full blown natural effect then tell him to get a pack and sleeping bag and head up into the hills. I think I woulda headed on down to the local rental center and towed back one of those big light trees on wheels construction companies use and hid it behind my trailer till night.....then bout midnight I woulda cranked them buggers up in the air and hit the switch lol lol ...then had a buddy tow it outa there fast before the Ranger came lol lol....But my wife wouldn't let me do that....she's no fun lol lol lol
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:22 AM   #16
sambam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13166
Shame. I go camping to get away from everyday stuff like that.

2010 Montana 3455SA, Mor/Ryde pin, wet bolts, TST 507, Progressive HW50C, GY G614
2019 Silverado D/A 3500HD LTZ DRW CC
B&W Companion
sambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:31 AM   #17
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Great response and some our correct my response might have made things worse. His approach was surly and may have switched on my SAB? (Smart Ass Button)! Lol. I agree in this day and age lots of short tempered folk. Thanks everyone. I did put out my Red Neck alarm system just in case he came back. Pair of size 16 work boots and a shovel next to my door! Along with, a printed note stapled to the Shovel. It reads "Bubba, I want the hole six feet deep and least 6.5 x. 5. I plan to use it tonight"! Lol
Old 05-28-2014, 11:29 AM   #18
Carole
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12726
Several years ago we were camped very close to someone who had a spotlight and I do mean spotlight aimed directly at the side of our Rv. Finally the second night after no sleep and mentioning (hinting) to the neighbors that their light was so bright and they didnt take the hint, I unplugged their light and explained the next morning that our Rv was lit up like daylight even with shades pulled. Luckily we ended up becoming very good friends to this day, but they still tease me about it sometimes. I personally have to have a very dark room to sleep and have added curtains over the bedroom shades which helps. I do think that people need to be observant of how their Rv and campsite lights affect their neighbor. I don't think our porch light would bother anyone but it is not an LED light, but the scare lights definitely are a no-no to leave on at night. I like the way the light switches are lighted so you don't forget to turn them off and I have noticed several rvers using motion lights around their Rv. This way all the things you have around your rv are not on display at night but if someone (something) gets too close it may scare them off. I like that idea.
Carole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 12:01 PM   #19
mtpocket2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6098
On one hand I agree and it would have probably been my response also. If the ranger agreed then you were in the right. It would have been easier on him to tell you to turn the light off. On the other hand if you want light stay in the city. It is supposed to be dark camping. Now I am having a heated debate with myself. See what you started .
mtpocket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 12:23 PM   #20
Steve and Susie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12618
Aren't you glad I wasen't camping next to you? I would have said, here hold my beer, I'll be right back, I have a bigger bulb. LOL Happy Trails, Steve and Susie
Steve and Susie is offline   Reply With Quote